Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

  1. #21

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnievinyl View Post
    aiya! depend on taking what subject lah. Some like landscape can always think and plan thu, go back again and again at different time, different season to take and get different effect.

    The other like the Nature photographers shooting birds and animal, need some instinct and some luck. Cannot think too much or the bird will swallow the bugs already and you wait long long before the bird come back lor.
    Good birding shooter always have patience and luck on that day.. Whole or half day shooting, they may managed few good shots only.
    Last edited by NikF601; 31st January 2012 at 04:22 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so you are suggesting that anyone can get a camera set up like yours, just aim at the birds and snap, don't have think too much, can get shots something like that?
    Well, if he wishes to discount the amount of thinking (conscious or sub-conscious) that has gone into the shots, then that's up to him. I certainly won't.

  3. #23
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by sense rain View Post
    Thinking = lost..
    No?
    Unless shooting still..
    Kids, sports got chance to think ma..

    Sports/kids/nature really no time to think, that's why need to think faster instead of not thinking...
    ...:::..::.Nikon.::.:::..
    RGB Metering & Focusing.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    476

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    so you are suggesting that anyone can get a camera set up like yours, just aim at the birds and snap, don't have think too much, can get shots something like that?

    wow, that is very encouraging, I'm not into bird photography, so good to know I can just snap here and there to get shots like that.


    lol.
    That isn't what I was suggesting, you know that and same goes some who insist their single believes. IMHO, Good photography is a combination of Think, luck, and taking opportunity when you can. You can argue what ever you can or your like. But just insisting "thinking a lot" alone aren't gonna make you a good photographer or make every one else agree with that theory. There are certainly two groups of believe there that has the words of war going on. what is important is how to make the "Top Gun"s here understand their single believe isn't going to make them an actual top gun. And If you as a moderator feel that is good for the forum, well.... you are the moderator... you decide. One can win the words of war here, but in reality? What happen when you have to face the hard truth in life? And honestly, I enjoy viewing all the Human's nature reaction here, sadly it is not photography related. Oh and to let you know the truth, I already knew many who disagree with one another will never agree with each other, even if one has proven wrong to the other. No in our society, though it does happen in the west but rarely here. So I didn't actually want to convince other, it is just kind of fun to kick up some fuse.

    When I switch off the Computer, I can enjoy a cold glass of beer with many of my friends, that is more important.


    OH OH OH! I have to add this, I 100% agree with Kenrockwell, FIXED LENS = better pictures! not that I will take a LOOOONG TIME to think, it is physics that fixed lens can be designed to produce a top optic performance lens much easier than Zoom lens. Did any one pick this up at all? I shot 99% on Prime, can't even remember when was the last time I use a zoom lens...
    Last edited by Vinnievinyl; 31st January 2012 at 11:49 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79
    IMO,

    zoom lens makes u lazy (for majority not all) while primes trains you to work harder.
    I was at Chingay last night with my cheapo DSLR and lazy zoom. After it all started, I wandered to the front fence of the sitting area. This guy in front of me was using a Leica and a 35mm. I saw some of his shots as he was previewing of them. Can't tell the IQ but he didn't look happy. My guess is that he was stuck at that position. He ran here and there a bit but I think I got more interesting shots than him with my zoom leh.

    Not saying I got better photos than him. But if you are pinned down to one position with no freedom to go nearer, a zoom really helps.

  6. #26
    Member xsaifuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    504

    Default

    The best camera is the one that you have with you.

    Whether you shoot birds or people or children or streets, you think beforehand. Get your set up ready and then you enter the arena of birds or people or children or streets.

    Photography mostly require us to SEE. Have a keen eye, have a good sense of visual composition etc. If some kiddo talks about henri cartier bresson not thinking when he shoots, you are probably right. BUT get this: There is no automatic camera at that point in his era YET he did get reasonably exposed photos. He has got the EYE as a painter to see what he wants to capture. And perhaps naturally, and unknowingly to him, his visual composition revolves around the golden mean and other geometrical stuff.

    Whatever it is, it takes the brain to think, the eyes to see and the heart to feel and be sensitive to his own surroundings to capture good photos.

    Zoom or prime, think what is best for your situation.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-
    People who think before they shoot, and train themselves to think fast where it's needed (for sports, kids, street).. Will get better shots.

    Of course an amateur or someone who doesn't think will get a good shot some day, if they keep hard at it. But good photographers don't just rely on luck, they either create their luck (through experience, they know how to position themselves where they are more LIKELY to get a good shot), or they make the most of luck when it comes by.

    Certainly you can't deny that!
    So you are implying that thinking = experience..
    Cos what you are mentioning is experience right..
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Entity
    Auto mode does help for those of us who do not have time to read or learn about photography, not sure if it helps when taking photos of small children or shooting a soccer match though - that small pop-up flash either momentarily blinds the kid or lights up the unwanted grassy foreground.

    Too bad my camera:
    has no Auto mode
    cannot zoom
    is already the best I can afford

    So I have no choice but to read more photography books, zoom by taking more footsteps, and learn from making both good and bad pictures.
    Too bad my camera got no manual mode.. Damn.. My manual mode got auto iso. . My p mode auto adjust to correct exposure no matter how I adjust. My a n s mode don't need to say.. Both also auto correct exposure.. Means I can't think. Envy u.
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

    Well, if he wishes to discount the amount of thinking (conscious or sub-conscious) that has gone into the shots, then that's up to him. I certainly won't.
    Then we need to define what is experience and what is thinking.. I personally dont think they are the same..
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo

    Sports/kids/nature really no time to think, that's why need to think faster instead of not thinking...
    Hmm. After these post.. We got to define what conclusion we want to end up with.. Otherwise nobody know what everyone is thinking.. Lolz
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai

    I was at Chingay last night with my cheapo DSLR and lazy zoom. After it all started, I wandered to the front fence of the sitting area. This guy in front of me was using a Leica and a 35mm. I saw some of his shots as he was previewing of them. Can't tell the IQ but he didn't look happy. My guess is that he was stuck at that position. He ran here and there a bit but I think I got more interesting shots than him with my zoom leh.

    Not saying I got better photos than him. But if you are pinned down to one position with no freedom to go nearer, a zoom really helps.
    I don't have any zoom lens and almost 99% shot with a 24mm prime (~36 on my cam body). Put into that situation. I most likely will frame without any fore ground that include other people hands. I personally will be very happy with my collection this way. Others I don't know.
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  12. #32
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    is it just me, or is someone being really cocky here?

    i'm not sure what he is arguing about precisely, it seems to be like good gears + loads of photoshop = good photos to him. no need think abt composition, no need anticipate, no need use brain one
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 4th February 2012 at 11:28 PM.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xsaifuddin
    The best camera is the one that you have with you.

    Whether you shoot birds or people or children or streets, you think beforehand. Get your set up ready and then you enter the arena of birds or people or children or streets.

    Photography mostly require us to SEE. Have a keen eye, have a good sense of visual composition etc. If some kiddo talks about henri cartier bresson not thinking when he shoots, you are probably right. BUT get this: There is no automatic camera at that point in his era YET he did get reasonably exposed photos. He has got the EYE as a painter to see what he wants to capture. And perhaps naturally, and unknowingly to him, his visual composition revolves around the golden mean and other geometrical stuff.

    Whatever it is, it takes the brain to think, the eyes to see and the heart to feel and be sensitive to his own surroundings to capture good photos.

    Zoom or prime, think what is best for your situation.
    Its hard for us to go on unless we define what does thinking does for each of us personally.. Does thinking means getting the right exposure.. Or..
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  14. #34
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by sense rain View Post
    Its hard for us to go on unless we define what does thinking does for each of us personally.. Does thinking means getting the right exposure.. Or..
    composition, anticipation, research, interaction.

    these are just some stuff i can start with.

    go on to next level

    weaving meaning into images, semiotics, visual literacy, presentation

    color theory, lighting, contrast, culture.

  15. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart
    is it ju st me, or is someone being really cocky here?

    i'm not sure what he is arguing about precisely, it seems to be like good gears + loads of photoshop = good photos to him. no need think abt composition, no need anticipate, no need use brain one
    Its probably just you..
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  16. #36
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    I can list a couple more but I'm tired for now. will follow up tmr or something.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

    composition, anticipation, research, interaction.

    these are just some stuff i can start with.

    go on to next level

    weaving meaning into images, semiotics, visual literacy, presentation

    color theory, lighting, contrast, culture.
    Some people like you need..
    For me personally is no..
    Cos all I need is just a correctly exposured picture.. That's all I ask for..
    My requirement is just so simple..
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Thomas More's Vision
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    There are times when auto/P mode gives you settings that you wouldn't want...

    I have a friend who shoots with a 5D2 and an 85L and he shoots with P mode... so all his shots were taken at like f/4 and smaller....

    I am not from the Canon camp but to get the 85L instead of the f/1.8 would mean that f/1.2 would be used rather frequently.... Hmmm...

  19. #39
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by sense rain View Post
    So you are implying that thinking = experience..
    Cos what you are mentioning is experience right..
    Nope.

    I have seen photographers who have shot the same thing for 40 years, they have had experience but they have not seemed to assimilate anything from that experience.

    I have also seen photographers who have shot the same thing for 40 years, and whoa, they are really good at what they do.

    Experience doesn't equate to thinking, but experience can train one to be conditioned as to how to think, and this quickens and short-circuits the process. An experienced, thinking photographer is going to be one that excels at his genre.

  20. #40
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: kenrockwell; fixed lenses == better pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by sense rain View Post
    Some people like you need..
    For me personally is no..
    Cos all I need is just a correctly exposured picture.. That's all I ask for..
    My requirement is just so simple..
    stay at the baby pool and swim then... thats all i can say

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •