Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you see that??

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Tried "A life has ended"? Somebody passed on and was found, that's the situation.

Who decides authoritatively what's the reportage value? Given the same set of images I was presented, its way too easy to be overcomed by the gore and just place it behind. The viewers will have to decide what they can get out of it. Ever seen an image that others can talk for hours but it just didn't click with you? The photgrapher took the images with an story to tell but he can't control how others feel for his images. Is he wrong? I don't think so.
    This is quite a difference topic from what you posted earlier. What you are saying now is the viewers' reactions to the pictures. Not what is their interpretation. Simply adding "A life has ended" simply reports a life has ended. What more information can you derive from this caption and the picture? A picture with photojournalism value should set people thinking, let them have an opinion about something. If it's a picture simply to draw varied interpretations, there will certainly be speculations, with speculations comes a conclusion and this leads to misinformation. What reportage value does this have? This wouldn't be reportage anymore, it will be propaganda.

What I feel is, you are mixing opinions with interpretations a bit. There's a subtle difference you know.

there you go.

you wanted an example of 'context', so i gave you one.

it is not wrong to post pictures which are informative, of value or educational, if the intention, motivation is correct, even it may be shocking or gory. but in that instance, the poster displayed no sensitivity whatsoever. that is the context i'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    This is quite a difference topic from what you posted earlier. What you are saying now is the viewers' reactions to the pictures. Not what is their interpretation. Simply adding "A life has ended" simply reports a life has ended. What more information can you derive from this caption and the picture? A picture with photojournalism value should set people thinking, let them have an opinion about something. If it's a picture simply to draw varied interpretations, there will certainly be speculations, with speculations comes a conclusion and this leads to misinformation. What reportage value does this have? This wouldn't be reportage anymore, it will be propaganda.

What I feel is, you are mixing opinions with interpretations a bit. There's a subtle difference you know.
    What more can be derived? Isn't that limited only by one's own imagination, experiences and exposure? Does every image that sets others thinking make you think as well or make you think like what other people think? What you think isn't worth a second look might mean something else for other people. I ask again, who decides authoritatively what's the reportage value?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    there you go.

you wanted an example of 'context', so i gave you one.

it is not wrong to post pictures which are informative, of value or educational, if the intention, motivation is correct, even it may be shocking or gory. but in that instance, the poster displayed no sensitivity whatsoever. that is the context i'm talking about.
    and you thought my friend was sensitive about how I was going to react upon seeing those images??

I know the difference between reaction, opinions and interpretations. Though different, they can form a train of thoughts that ulitmately forms your personal view depending on what level you take the issue at hand to. Hence, I said "Look beyond what you see".

and you thought my friend was sensitive about how I was going to react upon seeing those images??
    to put it bluntly, that's your own tragic problem.

why don't you stick to the point, instead of drawing on your traumatic past experiences and venting it on us?

What more can be derived? Isn't that limited only by one's own imagination, experiences and exposure? Does every image that sets others thinking make you think as well or make you think like what other people think? What you think isn't worth a second look might mean something else for other people. I ask again, who decides authoritatively what's the reportage value?
    Now that is a misconception there. Information is to be passed on. Not to be made up by imagination, experiences and exposure. That's not information, that's fabrication. Fabrication don't have reportage value, it's inspirational value that you are talking about.

to put it bluntly, that's your own tragic problem.

why don't you stick to the point, instead of drawing on your traumatic past experiences and venting it on us?
    I fail to see how making such statements can make yourself more convincing other than to show the level you take issues at hand to. Quite shallow I would imagine. Perhaps you only deal with reactions? Not that there's anything wrong though....... just a bit tragic.

Now that is a misconception there. Information is to be passed on. Not to be made up by imagination, experiences and exposure. That's not information, that's fabrication. Fabrication don't have reportage value, it's inspirational value that you are talking about.
    Drawing a conclusion based on what you've seen and experiences is called fabrication?? You saying PJs around the word fabricate information and pass them on as facts? Do you take in information as they come by or do you not process them and draw your own conclusion?

I fail to see how making such statements can make yourself more convincing other than to show the level you take issues at hand to. Quite shallow I would imagine. Perhaps you only deal with reactions? Not that there's anything wrong though....... just a bit tragic.
    as thread starter, i am requesting that you stick to the point. that is all.

as thread starter, i am requesting that you stick to the point. that is all.
    So as a thread starter, what's your objective? You want to listen to opinions from all sides or what you really need is a pat on the shoulder from a fellow righteous forum user? Take your pick.

So as a thread starter, what's your objective? You want to listen to opinions from all sides or what you really need is a pat on the shoulder from a fellow righteous forum user? Take your pick.
    hope people will exercise more common sense and take responsibility for whatever they are posting. and i don't only mean pictures.

there is a time and place for everything.

Now we know the guide lines, as stated by moderator.

However, IMO, there are different way to look @ an issues, image, subject ect.

While the CSer might have forgotten that this is a public forum, it may not be his intention to show dis-respect to the decease or to incite some kind of shocked reaction.

A/m view are solely you own. You are making a sweeping statement here. What about the PJ? Does it means they do not respect the decease by taking the photo?

I share the same experience as Kit regarding the indo racial differences. But diff. reaction. My feelings were :

Our gov. did a very good job in maintaining racial homany.
    What if this happen to us here, etc.
    Never thought of scolding my friend who send those shocking images.

Infact, I invited my colleuges to see and some only felt revolting, orthers shared same thought as me. But none has thought of it as PJ are being disrespectfull to the decease. The PJ had risk his/her life to bring us the news, apart from new value, it also change everybody somewhat from that day.

Same image invokes diff feelings / emotions from person to person. These feelings / emotions are results of individual's life experience and their personality.

Yes, you may say thats a PJ's job, but whats up with this CSer? But for all you know, his intension may be good, or I may be wrong, he / she may be just trying to incite some kind of shocked reaction, or show off as someone puts it. If thats his intention, than I too, would says that he had been disrespecfull to the decease.

I stress again, it is not right to label others base on your own std / thinking without consulting the intention of the originator. Preharps the OB was not clear for all to see. But now the moderator had painted the OB brightly and so we shall observe it.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

hope people will exercise more common sense and take responsibility for whatever they are posting. and i don't only mean pictures.

there is a time and place for everything.
    Well to tell you the truth, this "time and place" thingy is as well highly subjective but that's another issue.

I would imagine that the poster would have gotten the message when his post was deleted. This particular would probably last for another 24 hours or less before it die down(we both know that). How is it useful in future, that I have doubts. Unless someone decides to search around for precedents before posting images of dead bodies again........ I suggest you write to the admin team to amend the guidelines rather starting a post. Think that wil work better.

Yes, no matter how absurd, distasteful, puke-worthy, etc....... you think of something, anything...... you are only seeing a portion of it and that's hardly enough for you to make a decision for others.

Drawing a conclusion based on what you've seen and experiences is called fabrication?? You saying PJs around the word fabricate information and pass them on as facts? Do you take in information as they come by or do you not process them and draw your own conclusion?
    Apparently, you have seen my comments out of context again. The imagination, experience, and exposure part is made with regards to the viewer. PJs take pictures around the world to inform and to pass on this information to viewers so they can have an opinion of what's happening. However on the viewers' side, if the viewer starts treating his own opinions and conclusions made up from imagination, exposure and experience and treat it as the truth, it wouldn't be facts anymore, it's fabrication.

I understand that you are arguing from the point that different pictures holds different viewing value for different people. Anyway, I'm having a paper tomorrow, so I have to leave this discussion for tomorrow. Mind you, I'm not running away. I enjoy a good discussion anytime.:P
    Be right back.

Apparently, you have seen my comments out of context again. The imagination, experience, and exposure part is made with regards to the viewer. PJs take pictures around the world to inform and to pass on this information to viewers so they can have an opinion of what's happening. However on the viewers' side, if the viewer starts treating his own opinions and conclusions made up from imagination, exposure and experience and treat it as the truth, it wouldn't be facts anymore, it's fabrication.

I understand that you are arguing from the point that different pictures holds different viewing value for different people. Anyway, I'm having a paper tomorrow, so I have to leave this discussion for tomorrow. Mind you, I'm not running away. I enjoy a good discussion anytime.:P
    Be right back.
    You seem to trust PJs a lot. Really, a PJ has just about the same amount of right and capability to fabricate "truth" because he is just like one of us, a human being. I see it this way....... drawing own conclusions according to own experiences do not necessary equate to fabrication, though it could be.... sadly. I'll stress this again, the photographer takes the picture, you decide what its going to be.

Take for example the war in Iraq.......... do you believe whatever's thrown at you? Or do you listen to all sides and draw your own opinions? Be honest, do you think you really know what's true?

Anyone of you guys visited insomniac 48hrs?

So are you saying the artist were being disrespectfull to the dead and the organizers didn't do their job are they too were disrespectfull to the dead for allowing the movie clips of

corps half semerge in water

rows of bodies in the "room" with 1 lady in black robe walking around

lady in black robe sitting in a chair chatting to a corp wrapped in white cloth (inside a transparant casing) in a empty room

in the "Art House" (the chamber where is use to be ministers debate over country's standing issues)?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

i hope people will show more common sense, sensitivity and responsibility when posting pictures. there was someone who posted a picture of a floating body in a pond in Sungei Buloh a while ago.
    a reference to the picture in question. you can say i was more shocked by the nonchalance of the post more than anything.

i hope whoever the poster is, he has provided the proper authorities with information.
    an appeal that the poster has taken the appropriate procedure in informing the authorities. he provided us with no clue as to the details of the scene. is it even a sick joke, a posed pic?

a big thank you for the quick thinking mods for removing that thread. i didn't really expect to see that at all, and i'm sure i'm not the only one. watching and reading about gruesome news on tv and newspapers is one thing, but certainly not here, which is more of a recreational forum??
    another appeal to put things into context. when is the right time/place? i will repeat for the last time - Use Your Common Sense.

Rest in peace, for the deceased in the picture.
    Amen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast