Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation Of Digital Camera (Budget $200)

Default Re: Recommendation Of Digital Camera (Budget $200)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadLord View Post
    Hi edutilos-, thank you for the links and pointers. I wouldn't want to leap straight into DSLR as I don't even have the technical knowledge nor the skills to wield it properly. But I am seriously considering a 2nd hand higher end model like the Olympus E-PL1 so that I can learn more bout tweaking manual settings.
    Just to note, the E-PL1 is not a consumer PNS camera, it is Micro 4/3 system... It is not exactly DSLR, but it is also not compact.

Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi detritus, I have decided to just go with a 2nd hand $300+ model than a brand new one with slight or no improvements from the S3000. Will keep my eyes peel on the BnS section.

Can any gurus give me some recommendations on the models that I can look out for? Is Olympus E-PL1 the same range as Canon S95 and Panasonic LX3? And what other models are available?

TIA and thank you all for the pointers and guidance. Sorry for asking so many questions. :X
    Last edited by DreadLord; 14th December 2011 at 03:50 PM.

oh... which means to say I need to get those lens and filters just like a SLR? got to read up more! Thx alot for pointing out edutilos-

thx alot Shierwin! Will do some research on this as well. thx for the heads up!

oh... which means to say I need to get those lens and filters just like a SLR? got to read up more! Thx alot for pointing out edutilos-
    You can change the lens for E-PL1.

Filters, all cameras can use, but for compact camera it is harder to attach filters. It is not a MUST to get a filter... Though most people are going to tell you that it is good for protecting the lens. I myself do not use any such protection, because I have seen cases where the lens drops, the filter breaks, and the lens gets damaged by the filter. It is hard to argue whether a filter is useful or is useless, just matter of choice.

You can read up more, loads of information on the Internet actually. There are a few classes of cameras, in which there are subclasses. Very briefly:

Consumer P&S
    - Budget
    - Not so budget
    - Ultrazoom (fixed lens, huge focal length range)

Micro 4/3
    - 2x crop factor
    - Olympus EP, E-PL
    - Panasonic

Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (similar to micro 4/3)
    - 1.5x crop factor (for Sony NEX, Samsung NX), 2.7x crop factor for Nikon 1 series, Pentax Q

DSLR
    - 4/3s - 2x crop factor (Panasonic, Olympus)
    - APS-C - 1.5x crop factor for Nikon, Pentax, Sony, etc, 1.6x crop factor for Canon
    - APS-H? - 1.3x crop factor for some Canon flagship cameras
    - Full frame - 1x crop factor

Hi edutilos-

pardon me for my limited knowledge on camera. Olympus E-PL1 is a Micro 4/3. But both the Panasonic LX3 and Canon S95 are both higher end consumer PnS camera with some degree of manual settings?

Hi detritus, I have decided to just go with a 2nd hand $300+ model than a brand new one with slight or no improvements from the S3000. Will keep my eyes peel on the BnS section.

Can any gurus give me some recommendations on the models that I can look out for? Is Olympus E-PL1 the same range as Canon S95 and Panasonic LX3? And what other models are available?

TIA and thank you all for the pointers and guidance. Sorry for asking so many questions. :X
    its higher end than S95 and LX3. its a micro four-third system. can change lens, have full manual controls. bigger sensor.

wikipedia has a nice article on it.

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi ZerocoolAstra, I fully agree with the maths. The Nikon S3000 is good at macro shot and I am ok with it, but It's the night shots that's epic failure. Even with a tripod, I can't even get a photo that's 1/4 nice as other photos around this site. :X
    Really?
    I think technique is partly the reason leh...
    Wouldn't hurt to look through your shot-taking process, to see if there are any small things that could be improved upon that might make a big difference to your final image.
    Exploring! :)

Hi edutilos-

pardon me for my limited knowledge on camera. Olympus E-PL1 is a Micro 4/3. But both the Panasonic LX3 and Canon S95 are both higher end consumer PnS camera with some degree of manual settings?
    That would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    its higher end than S95 and LX3. its a micro four-third system. can change lens, have full manual controls. bigger sensor.

wikipedia has a nice article on it.

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Depends on what you mean by "higher end"...

A second hand Olympus XZ-1 (PNS) tends to cost more than a second hand E-PL1 with kit lens..

Hi ZerocoolAstra, yes I do agree that technique is partly the reason ah... will definitely review my shot-taking process. Wish that I can take photos as good as you guys in this forum.

Below are 2 photos taken with my Nikon S3000. Please don't mind the composition as I am seriously green in camera and photography! Any pointers and guidance will be helpful to my learning and much appreciated. The night shot is done using a mini tripod on a table, setting it to "Night Landscape". I can't find any menu that allow me to alter the aperture, ISO and the shutter speed so I guess this is pretty much it.

And this one is using the "Macro" setting

TIA!
    Last edited by DreadLord; 15th December 2011 at 01:20 AM.

BTW anyone actually get their cameras from Mustafa? I happened to pass by there and swing in for a look and their Panasonic LX3 is retailing at $499 and Olympus E-PL1 is retailing at $545 if I recall correctly the model for this.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadLord
    BTW anyone actually get their cameras from Mustafa? I happened to pass by there and swing in for a look and their Panasonic LX3 is retailing at $499 and Olympus E-PL1 is retailing at $545 if I recall correctly the model for this.
    Yeah I bought compact cam from mustafa before. It's pretty standard. Their price is slightly below RRP

Hi ZerocoolAstra, yes I do agree that technique is partly the reason ah... will definitely review my shot-taking process. Wish that I can take photos as good as you guys in this forum.

Below are 2 photos taken with my Nikon S3000. Please don't mind the composition as I am seriously green in camera and photography! Any pointers and guidance will be helpful to my learning and much appreciated. The night shot is done using a mini tripod on a table, setting it to "Night Landscape". I can't find any menu that allow me to alter the aperture, ISO and the shutter speed so I guess this is pretty much it.

And this one is using the "Macro" setting

TIA!
    Your photos are pretty decent I reckon. I guess you have high standards
    I would advise you to stick to your current camera for now, and save up for something with a larger sensor, and which gives you manual exposure controls.

Thank you ZerocoolAstra for your kind words. High standards cause I came to this forum and saw most of the photos seriously took my breath away. Any models you have in mind to recommend? I don't think I am ready to leap into those big size DSLR cause I don't think I will be that hardworking to bring it on my travels lol and I don't have the skills to use it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Your photos are pretty decent I reckon. I guess you have high standards
    I would advise you to stick to your current camera for now, and save up for something with a larger sensor, and which gives you manual exposure controls.

Thank you ZerocoolAstra for your kind words. High standards cause I came to this forum and saw most of the photos seriously took my breath away. Any models you have in mind to recommend? I don't think I am ready to leap into those big size DSLR cause I don't think I will be that hardworking to bring it on my travels lol and I don't have the skills to use it as well.
    Some DSLRs are quite small as well
    You should not have the mindset that 'oh, my skills not good enough to justify owning a DSLR'. If that's the case, we should ban most/all of the Ferrari owners since they're not as skillful as Fernando Alonso
    Ultimately it's about affordability.

Personally, I would choose a DSLR over a compact camera or m4/3 camera, mainly because of the ergonomics.
    You may feel entirely different. I'd be happy to share my recommendations with you privately, but like any other person I have brand-bias as well

ROFL... yes yes very true... feel free to share with me your recommendations privately... will definitely want to learn more and gain more knowledge... the thing bout me not leaping in and grab a DSLR now is 1) I don't think I will be that hardworking for now to bring it on my travels lol... 2) Affordability! Start up cost and after that the lens as well. Hence I am looking into the Olympus White EP1 as it is quite compact but with room for upgrade should I dive deeper into this new found hobby lol... please share with me bout your experience and thinking. Someone is selling a used set for $350 I think.

Another thing that I got to admit is... my Nikon S3000 is currently pink in color that's why the very very strong urge to get another camera... :X that's actually a gift to my sis but since she got a Canon S95 so she sort of passed to me... lol...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12