Thread: What would you do if.....

Default What would you do if.....

someday you walk in a MRT train, sit down, and realise sitting opposite you is a female classmate whom you hardly talked in JC days. Both your eyes meet, and in your head goes.... <what the ..... >. And then, you guys exchange the usual... "hellow so how's things for you now"... and then 5 mins into the conversation, there is this strangely disturbing silence. Your brain freezes. She looks at the bolt fastening the hand rails. You know its gonna be a long ride. Would you stand up, stand in front of her and try to talk, or talk across the carriage, which is also really wierd since she is softspoken and shy.

This is one thing I hate, something like meeting your neighbour in the elevator coming down from 20 storeys in those ultra slow lifts... with nothing to say. So, both stare up at the numbers so hard, its scary.

Maybe its just me, I'm not sure. I always run into awkward situations, even those long car rides with someone you dont really know, or know but dunno what to talk about, at the lights... man, that s torture.
    Last edited by marcwang; 15th November 2004 at 04:23 PM.

long car rides with a stranger a torture? doze off ..........
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    someday you walk in a MRT train, sit down, and realise sitting opposite you is a female classmate whom you hardly talked in JC days. Both your eyes meet, and in your head goes.... <what the ..... >. And then, you guys exchange the usual... "hellow so how's things for you now"... and then 5 mins into the conversation, there is this strangely disturbing silence. Your brain freezes. She looks at the bolt fastening the hand rails. You know its gonna be a long ride. Would you stand up, stand in front of her and try to talk, or talk across the carriage, which is also really wierd since she is softspoken and shy.

This is one thing I hate, something like meeting your neighbour in the elevator coming down from 20 storeys in those ultra slow lifts... with nothing to say. So, both stare up at the numbers so hard, its scary.

Maybe its just me, I'm not sure. I always run into awkward situations, even those long car rides with someone you dont really know, or know but dunno what to talk about, at the lights... man, that s torture.
    depends.....those people which i know and that can made conversations, more or less i will respond and join in......for those ask 1 question and answer 1 word type.....i will leave them alone. the most a simple hello and if they just stop there......i will just carry on no more. got a neighbour here with the whole family just don't have the habit to say 'hello' when meet....how to talk???!!! guess this is the culture here in singapore.

Deregistered

yes, i do get that feeling. but it helps to have a photographic memory of things that happened when we were back in school, or how his/her blunders made me laugh, or what bloopers i tried to pull off the long last time.

but neighbours? uh, actually despite the proximity, there's only at most 2 families of whom i do talk when we meet. i still get mixed up who's who's parents etc...

Smile

Here, I look at it this way, if you really like the girl, say,"you are more beautiful now than when we last met.
    Otherwise, say,"wow you really have stacked it on over the years".
    It will sort it's self out.
    Either you are still standing next to a beautiful girl, or you are flat out on the floor taking a nap
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Here, I look at it this way, if you really like the girl, say,"you are more beautiful now than when we last met.
    Otherwise, say,"wow you really have stacked it on over the years".
    It will sort it's self out.
    Either you are still standing next to a beautiful girl, or you are flat out on the floor taking a nap
    !!

i dun even know who stay beside my house..so dun have this problem..

Don't worry! You're not the only one who has this problem ...

Don't stress lah ! Are you worried about what the other party might think of you in these situations ?

Just focus on enjoying life. Tell yourself you're at your best when having fun and feeling good about yourself. Whether it prompts you to make a bold move, say something silly or just to ignore the person, the resulting action will be the real you. Trust yourself, no need to worry, just enjoy. Try it, it might work and you'll feel proud of it.

At least it works for me...

just my 2 cents bro

I get this all the time as well. My personal guide to surviving such long trips:

Be a listener, not a speaker. Start in a conversation by asking questions about things that he/she likes (if you know about his/her hobbies and interests). People tend to be more comfortable with talking about things that they like. This should warm up the conversation a bit.

If it's a new friend/someone you've forgot, ask generic questions like "So how have you been doing?", "Where are you currently at now?".

Start working out the conversation from the answers derived (ie, if she mentions that she's a banking analyst, then maybe you can start asking questions about the banking sector, the job, the works.)

Most probably he/she will also ask the same questions back to you.
    How's that?