Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Business sharing topics for 2012

Default Re: Business sharing topics for 2012

Hey Hart, Merry Christmas!

When do you intend to do this sharing? I've left the photo community as a Full time photographer. But i think if some of the guys here are keen to ask about wedding related questions. I might be able to share as well if the schedule is good. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    Hey Hart, Merry Christmas!

When do you intend to do this sharing? I've left the photo community as a Full time photographer. But i think if some of the guys here are keen to ask about wedding related questions. I might be able to share as well if the schedule is good. =)
    I don't have a fix timing and date yet but you are welcome to come if the dates fits in your schedule.

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    I guess as a business owner, when you start you would want to manage every aspect yourself but in the long run you would need to learn to recognise and learn how to delegate some of the more administrative or mundane stuff (or stuff you suck at) to others for the business to scale.

I guess what would be relevant would be to share on how we can better identify areas that can be delegated out as well as any processes or lessons learned during these proceses?
    Uhm... Delegating...

I am not very sure about this topic actually, as my business still largely control by me in every part of the operation.

That is a part why I become more and more expensive as I wanted to control every aspect of my business myself (I am perfectionist, I know and I rarely happy with someone doing things for me) and also having more time for my family, work and myself. Price increase means drop in volume means more time for something else.

Ok, I get my wife to do my account (you can just hire some student accountant for the job) as it is a straight forward balance sheet as we deal with full payment. So people pay, we fulfil the order. So it is a simple money in and money out and guess what, there are 2 folders, Money in and money out.

But simply put this... Any critical part of your business, you shouldn't let someone else do the job for you, unless you know someone else can do better for you and again you can trust them to do better than you. So far, I haven't found one yet as far as non-creative (business mechanics) goes.

I guess, this is nothing much to discuss, it is just about how much control you want in your business and how much you are willing to give out.

I hope this clarify.

Regards,

Hart

Hi Hart,

Not sure how relevant this might be to some photographers but from every economics indicator, next year is going to be a challenging year ahead. Hart, (just some thought off my head), you might want to address how seasoned and new photographers would like to prepare themselves in the event of a downturn. I am sure if the downturn does come in, some couples might have to make changes to their wedding plans (some might pull out). Topics like how to manage the unexpected and mitigate losses and yet keep customers happy would be interesting. At the same time, how to make your photography business more attractive even though things are slowing down. How to avoid having to slash prices to attract customers during downturn... etc. I think there are a lot of topics evolving around the economy and this will be an inevitable subject eventually.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and your family,

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711
    Hi Hart,

Not sure how relevant this might be to some photographers but from every economics indicator, next year is going to be a challenging year ahead. Hart, (just some thought off my head), you might want to address how seasoned and new photographers would like to prepare themselves in the event of a downturn. I am sure if the downturn does come in, some couples might have to make changes to their wedding plans (some might pull out). Topics like how to manage the unexpected and mitigate losses and yet keep customers happy would be interesting. At the same time, how to make your photography business more attractive even though things are slowing down. How to avoid having to slash prices to attract customers during downturn... etc. I think there are a lot of topics evolving around the economy and this will be an inevitable subject eventually.

Daniel
    I tot next yr is a great yr as many are getting married in the year of the dragon??
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Thanks for that Hart Will try to make it for one of your sessions next year.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Well, there are always 2 sides to a coin. Regardless, the signs of downturn will one way or another affect almost all trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    I tot next yr is a great yr as many are getting married in the year of the dragon??

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    Hi Hart,

Daniel
    Thanks Daniel,

Well, we can't predict downturn, there are steps I took to ensure my business can weather the downturn... It comes down to Branding I suppose...

I think Dragon year, people have babies? as far as getting married, perhaps, most people do it this year? so they can have dragon baby?

Regards,

Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan

Thanks Daniel,

Well, we can't predict downturn, there are steps I took to ensure my business can weather the downturn... It comes down to Branding I suppose...

I think Dragon year, people have babies? as far as getting married, perhaps, most people do it this year? so they can have dragon baby?

Regards,

Hart
    This is what I was told by the hotels for banquet, where many had been fully booked.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

That's for sure. Couples tend to book 1 year ahead (and even earlier) for auspicious period. But having been shooting around for a while, there are certain exceptions when things really turn bad during a downturn. It is just the reality of things.

It does not really have to be just 2012 per say.. any sensible business topic should always look at how one should assess business risks and mitigate against uncertainties.

Anyway, it is just a suggestion. Not a must have. Hart knows best as he is very seasoned in this field.

Cheers and Happy Boxing Day

Daniel

This is what I was told by the hotels for banquet, where many had been fully booked.

Next year would not be as good as this year. And it's too late to get a dragon baby if marry next year.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    any sensible business topic should always look at how one should assess business risks and mitigate against uncertainties.

Anyway, it is just a suggestion. Not a must have. Hart knows best as he is very seasoned in this field.

Cheers and Happy Boxing Day

Daniel
    thanks Daniel,

I don't have all the answer and I should be considered doing well but not seasoned enough in this business world.

I have a few plans for weathering the downturn so will include that in the talk.

For the rest who is interested, the whole idea is to get you up to speed on the business world of photography and it will work for portrait and wedding or any consumer based photography business. What I hope to achieve is to give you food for thought and fundamental so you can expand from there and grow further. I don't give you unique solution to your problem.

Anyway, my success rate of booking wedding for this year is 100% at the price I ask without discount and without marketing, I apply same principle and it works.

So it's like teaching you how to fish...

I hope that make sense.

regards,

Hart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12