Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II

  1. #1

    Default AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II

    Hello everyone...

    i am practically new to photography and i am planning to buy a new lens..

    initially, i was planning to buy nikkor 85mm prime lens and i encountered that non-prime lens might be more practical..
    the reason why i wanted the prime lens because i wanted to focus on portraits but somehow along the way, i thought
    that being more flexible might be good for me since i am still a beginner.. that's when I chose these 2 tamron lenses..

    my current lenses now are my kit lens (18-105mm) and a prime lens (50mm) where the former is what i used all the times.

    now, my questions are
    a) are these set of lenses good to choose from?
    b) is prime lens better for daily use (photowalk, parties, photo shoots)?
    c) any advice on other lenses?

  2. #2
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    Hello everyone...

    i am practically new to photography and i am planning to buy a new lens..

    initially, i was planning to buy nikkor 85mm prime lens and i encountered that non-prime lens might be more practical..
    the reason why i wanted the prime lens because i wanted to focus on portraits but somehow along the way, i thought
    that being more flexible might be good for me since i am still a beginner.. that's when I chose these 2 tamron lenses..

    my current lenses now are my kit lens (18-105mm) and a prime lens (50mm) where the former is what i used all the times.

    now, my questions are
    a) are these set of lenses good to choose from?
    b) is prime lens better for daily use (photowalk, parties, photo shoots)?
    c) any advice on other lenses?
    What is the problem or what do you find restricting for your kit lens? 18-105mm lens is very good... plus whatever lens you listed the focal length are already covered by your kit lens.

    You must know what is limiting in your kit lens then you know what lens to go into.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  3. #3

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    the sharpness of the images.. the listed lens could produce a better image than my kit lens..

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Honestly the lenses mentioned are very different kinds of lenses. It comes down to your needs. Or you can get both.

  5. #5
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    the sharpness of the images.. the listed lens could produce a better image than my kit lens..
    Granted, sharpness is the only criterior (in your case) to good image quality. However, then come the next question, at what focal length do you shoot most? you should be able to get a good ideal with your kit lens, because it cover quite a wide focal length.

    Only you would know about that and no one could help you here... for example, I use my 70-200mm as my general walkabout lens, because I find that range suits me best, but my bro say that I am crazy and he prefer to use his 85mm and thats it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #6

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Granted, sharpness is the only criterior (in your case) to good image quality. However, then come the next question, at what focal length do you shoot most? you should be able to get a good ideal with your kit lens, because it cover quite a wide focal length.

    Only you would know about that and no one could help you here... for example, I use my 70-200mm as my general walkabout lens, because I find that range suits me best, but my bro say that I am crazy and he prefer to use his 85mm and thats it.
    Actually, I am just a regular user. I just take pictures here and there. with regards to focal length, it might be between 18mm to less 80mm.. i don't really zoom things unless i wanted to play around with my camera or when i wanted to have an good DOF.. ultimately, i just wanted to have a lens that I can easily use (regardless the time, place or event) yet gives a good image quality (be it's because of its sharpness, DOF, etc)..

  7. #7

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Honestly the lenses mentioned are very different kinds of lenses. It comes down to your needs. Or you can get both.
    I am just a regular user.. i just want a flexible lens where i can use at any occasions or time or place yet produces a good image quality.

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    Actually, I am just a regular user. I just take pictures here and there. with regards to focal length, it might be between 18mm to less 80mm.. i don't really zoom things unless i wanted to play around with my camera or when i wanted to have an good DOF.. ultimately, i just wanted to have a lens that I can easily use (regardless the time, place or event) yet gives a good image quality (be it's because of its sharpness, DOF, etc)..
    There you have it... your focal length length will be between 18 to 80mm... so it would be alright for you to get 2 lens combo...

    85mm f1.4 + 17-50mm lens... you would have cover most of the focal length there is. And if you forsee yourself not using anything lower than 24mm... you might do good to get the 28-75mm + 85mm lens.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    There you have it... your focal length length will be between 18 to 80mm... so it would be alright for you to get 2 lens combo...

    85mm f1.4 + 17-50mm lens... you would have cover most of the focal length there is. And if you forsee yourself not using anything lower than 24mm... you might do good to get the 28-75mm + 85mm lens.

    I guess i would choose 17-50mm.. i still take scenery pics.. about the 85mm, can i still use this lens when attending parties or photo walks?

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    I guess i would choose 17-50mm.. i still take scenery pics.. about the 85mm, can i still use this lens when attending parties or photo walks?
    Of course you can... like I have mentioned before, it is what you feel more comfortable in. My bro shoot his entire streets shots using a 85mm lens and half of a wedding shoot using that lens too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #11
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    I guess i would choose 17-50mm.. i still take scenery pics.. about the 85mm, can i still use this lens when attending parties or photo walks?
    yes you can, so long you are comfortable with it
    Lousy de My Flickr

  12. #12

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Of course you can... like I have mentioned before, it is what you feel more comfortable in. My bro shoot his entire streets shots using a 85mm lens and half of a wedding shoot using that lens too.
    right now, i cannot afford to buy these 2 lenses all at once.. so, what do you suggest should I buy first? the 17-50mm or 85mm?

  13. #13
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    right now, i cannot afford to buy these 2 lenses all at once.. so, what do you suggest should I buy first? the 17-50mm or 85mm?
    bro, what's your budget
    Lousy de My Flickr

  14. #14

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    bro, what's your budget
    my budget is around $500-600 for any of the lenses.. I found one store that sells these lenses at about this price.

  15. #15
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    my budget is around $500-600 for any of the lenses.. I found one store that sells these lenses at about this price.
    oh! I only know the tamron 17-50 non vc is selling at $6xx at slrr..

    for me I will get the 17-50 1st because I can use my leg to zoom in to 85mm haha,
    Lousy de My Flickr

  16. #16
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    and for the tamron 17-50 please check if ther's is any focusing issue 1st b4 buying =)
    Lousy de My Flickr

  17. #17

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    and for the tamron 17-50 please check if ther's is any focusing issue 1st b4 buying =)
    what do you mean by focusing issue, bro? I know tamron 17-50mm has 2 versions? one with vibration control (VC) and the one which don't have.

  18. #18

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Of course you can... like I have mentioned before, it is what you feel more comfortable in. My bro shoot his entire streets shots using a 85mm lens and half of a wedding shoot using that lens too.

    Thank you so much bro for answering my queries.. it will surely help me decide which lens to use.

  19. #19
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by jadfreak View Post
    what do you mean by focusing issue, bro? I know tamron 17-50mm has 2 versions? one with vibration control (VC) and the one which don't have.
    hmm front or back focusing issue, i think it's quite a common problem.. yup non vc af faster than the vc version and non vc is sharper than vc ( from review) haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

  20. #20

    Default Re: AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D VS Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 VS Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR D

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    hmm front or back focusing issue, i think it's quite a common problem.. yup non vc af faster than the vc version and non vc is sharper than vc ( from review) haha
    ok. haven't heard about this one. let me just do some research about this. thanks for the heads up..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •