Thread: Camera Storage

Bedpan
    Guests

Default Camera Storage

Hey folks..

Looking for some local advice. Being reasonably new to singapore (about 14 months now) I am wondering about Camera Storage. Up until last week I was never really concerned about it.. But a few things have happened recently that made me decided to ask..

1) bought a new Fuji S2.. A lot of money to let fungus destroy
    2) my wife brought her Pentax MX in to be cleaned and she has some minor fungus growth

How long does it typically take for fungus to start growing? Weeks, months years? The reason I am asking is that I am considering purchasing either an air tight container and silca gel, or a de-humidifier cabinet.

I saw that Carrifour has a 30L cabinet for $88 with a 5 year warranty. Do they work well? Or should I look at an Airtight box for $30 - $40?

I will problably be heading home to Canada in the next 18 months or so. Should I just not worry about it until I get home?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Mike

ok, let me answer according to your economical ability

the s2 would probably cost your over 4K (or more)? hence $100 or $200 to protect your camera equipment should be money well spent. I used to use those air tight containers, quite troublesome to change the silica gels.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Default Re: Camera Storage

Originally posted by Bedpan
    Hey folks..

Looking for some local advice. Being reasonably new to singapore (about 14 months now) I am wondering about Camera Storage. Up until last week I was never really concerned about it.. But a few things have happened recently that made me decided to ask..

1) bought a new Fuji S2.. A lot of money to let fungus destroy
    2) my wife brought her Pentax MX in to be cleaned and she has some minor fungus growth

How long does it typically take for fungus to start growing? Weeks, months years? The reason I am asking is that I am considering purchasing either an air tight container and silca gel, or a de-humidifier cabinet.

I saw that Carrifour has a 30L cabinet for $88 with a 5 year warranty. Do they work well? Or should I look at an Airtight box for $30 - $40?

I will problably be heading home to Canada in the next 18 months or so. Should I just not worry about it until I get home?

Thanks for any/all advice!

Mike
    Get an electric dehumidifier cabinet. Given the humidity level here in a non-air conditioned room is around 85% and above, fungus does grow pretty easily. And fungus actually grew in my Coolpix 950 (which is out of the dry box as I bring it along with me) - pretty minor when I discovered it and I was able to open the thing and clean it myself.

And given that kind of humidity, the silica gel in an air tight box is going to need refreshing pretty often (especially if you shoot a lot and take the camera in and out of the box). The electric one will give you a lot less maintenance trouble.

Regards
    CK

Bedpan
    Guests

I really did blow the bank on this purchase. So the extra will be a little tougher to come buy.. I do understan what you mean though.. hence the reason I am askin!

Mike

Originally posted by rueyloon

ok, let me answer according to your economical ability

the s2 would probably cost your over 4K (or more)? hence $100 or $200 to protect your camera equipment should be money well spent. I used to use those air tight containers, quite troublesome to change the silica gels.

Bedpan
    Guests

Default Re: Re: Camera Storage

Any idea how long the Silica gel will last.. Assuming I am in and out 2 - 3 times a week min.. I have convinced myself I need something. Just not sure what yet..

Also about the pricing on the Dehumidifier cabinets.. I know Carrifour has sales on them from time to time.. Is $88 a good price for the 30L, or should I wait for the next sale?

Mike

Originally posted by ckiang

Get an electric dehumidifier cabinet. Given the humidity level here in a non-air conditioned room is around 85% and above, fungus does grow pretty easily. And fungus actually grew in my Coolpix 950 (which is out of the dry box as I bring it along with me) - pretty minor when I discovered it and I was able to open the thing and clean it myself.

And given that kind of humidity, the silica gel in an air tight box is going to need refreshing pretty often (especially if you shoot a lot and take the camera in and out of the box). The electric one will give you a lot less maintenance trouble.

Regards
    CK

Wink Re: Re: Camera Storage

Originally posted by ckiang

Regards
    CK
    CK, just curious, how you remove the fungus?

How do I clean my lens if my lens has a fungus? Open it?

Thanks in advance,
    andre

$88 for a 30L dry cabinet is definitely a steal; minus the quality of course. There are other makes that sell for about $200 for the same volume. Anyhow, as long as it works by maintaining humidity between 40% and 50%, what the heck! Oh, before u leave for good, sell it to me for $50? kekekekeke...........nice try.

Default Re: Re: Re: Camera Storage

Originally posted by Bedpan
    Any idea how long the Silica gel will last.. Assuming I am in and out 2 - 3 times a week min.. I have convinced myself I need something. Just not sure what yet..

Also about the pricing on the Dehumidifier cabinets.. I know Carrifour has sales on them from time to time.. Is $88 a good price for the 30L, or should I wait for the next sale?

Mike

$88 sounds like a good deal. For me, my 30L cabinet holds my Nikon F100 + MB15 battery grip, a Nikon FE, 5 lenses, teleconvertors for my Coolpix and a small DV Cam. So it should be quite good enough for you.

Don't know how long the silica gel lasts (I guess 3-4 weeks), have not used them for eons.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Re: Re: Camera Storage

Originally posted by andretan

CK, just curious, how you remove the fungus?

How do I clean my lens if my lens has a fungus? Open it?

Thanks in advance,
    andre
    Don't try this at home. And definitely DON'T open up your lens. For my case, it's simple coz the lens of the coolpix resides behind a protective filter on the body, and the fungus is on the front element. So I just opened up the thing (warranty way over anyway) so that I can access the lens, then use a cotton bud + Kodak lens cleaner.

Again, don't try this unless you know what you are doing.

Regards
    CK

The cheapest way to store your camera and lens is to put a light bulb in the box and switch on the bulb,the heat will take away all the humidity.As long as heat are given out,not too hot though,switch on the bulb day and night.
    If you learn Physics in school, we store all our microscope lenses in a bell jar with a lighted bulb.

Anyone keep your flash in dry cabinet as well ?
    I find no reason to, as fungus grows only on glass, right ?

Also, sometimes I take my F90x out, fiddle around with it & keep it in my bedroom (with aircon on but only at nite). Usually return it to dry box only after ~ a week.

I think shd be ok. Right ?

thanks

darkavgr

genie47
    Guests

Originally posted by jamesong
    The cheapest way to store your camera and lens is to put a light bulb in the box and switch on the bulb,the heat will take away all the humidity.As long as heat are given out,not too hot though,switch on the bulb day and night.
    If you learn Physics in school, we store all our microscope lenses in a bell jar with a lighted bulb.
    You got to make sure the heat is strong enough to make the box uncomfortably warm for any known terresterial organisms. If it sits at a comfy 37-38 deg C, bacteria will grow. Not that it affects the camera but the box will be unhygienic. Open the box and take a deep breath to get sick.

FYI, fungus like yeasts like cooler temperatures like 25-30 deg C. Bacteria like 35-38. Anything above that, nothing is known to survive for long.

I will be going over to US for 6 months. Wondering whether I will have humidity problems over there. Bringing my dehumidifying cabinet there sounds out of this world.

Originally posted by genie47
    You got to make sure the heat is strong enough to make the box uncomfortably warm for any known terresterial organisms. If it sits at a comfy 37-38 deg C, bacteria will grow. Not that it affects the camera but the box will be unhygienic. Open the box and take a deep breath to get sick.
    FYI, fungus like yeasts like cooler temperatures like 25-30 deg C. Bacteria like 35-38. Anything above that, nothing is known to survive for long.
    The heat no need very high.
    Camera and lens exist long before the day of air-condition and dry-box. At the old day, people store their equipments in a wooden cabinet heated by bulb, and the cabinet is not air-tight, so the air will slowly flow because of heat. Some people still use this method till today, and they find it is better than dry-box.
    Heating the lens slightly above room temperature (warm) is good, because it will also heat the air trapped inside the lens and avoid condensation. I have a friend complained that one of his lens grow fungus altough it is always kept inside a dry-box while unused. How can it happen? Yes, it can happen. Every time we use the lens, of course, we carry it outside dry-box, and use in high-humidity (of tropical country). The lens has elements which move back and forth due to focusing or zooming, and this movement act like a piston in a cylinder, it pumps air in and out. Soon the air inside the lens become the same as humid as outside. Then when we put back into dry-box, the air inside the lens stay. Altough the air in the dry-box itself become dry, but the air trapped inside the lens is not that fast to dry, it stay there and condensed, leaving thin layer of moisture on the inside elements of the lens.

Originally posted by ryanleong
    I will be going over to US for 6 months. Wondering whether I will have humidity problems over there. Bringing my dehumidifying cabinet there sounds out of this world.
    US, Europe, etc is a lot dryer, so it's not a problem. In fact, bring lip gloss (for your lips, not your camera ) as cracked lips are common.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by darkavgr
    Anyone keep your flash in dry cabinet as well ?

Does any one know of any advantage in keeping the flash in the dry cabinet as well?

I kept my flash in there solely because there still space for it....

PhotoNuts
    Guests

U can use 'Thristy Hippo'!!!
    it is cheap as it will last a long time as compared to silicon gel!

Originally posted by PhotoNuts
    U can use 'Thristy Hippo'!!!
    it is cheap as it will last a long time as compared to silicon gel!
    Be careful, the hippo eventually becomes a container of water, which eventually ADD to the humidity inside.

Regards
    CK

What are the pros and cons of getting a air-tight storage container + silicon gel compared to getting a real cabinet?

I don't really have an expensive camera and lens....

Thanks. Just want to justify the costs.