Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Peirce reservoir advices

  1. #1

    Default Peirce reservoir advices

    Together with my friends, We are planning for a sunrise shoot at Peirce res.
    However, this is my first time there, hence would like to seek for advice on the location (upper or lower) for sunrise shoot, also which part exactly will be a better vantage point.

    For advice pls.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  2. #2
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    i suggest you do a quick google of the stuff people have already done, ownself go down do a shoot first and go back again and again.

    normally i drop by the same location maybe 1-2 dozen times trying to get 1 shot only.

    there shld be equally good opportunities both upper and lower.

  3. #3
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Depends, do you want rocks as foreground, or?

    Reservoirs would tend to have an ok vantage point for both sunrise and sunset. By ok, I mean, you can see the sunrise and sunset, no fear of being in the wrong direction. The trouble sometimes is with accessibility.

    Although my impression of these 2 reservoirs is that if you want more than just sky and water, then sunset is a safer bet. You might be able to get rocks and trees, but the locations facing the sunrise will not be the optimal options for a more pleasant foreground composition compared to those facing sunset..?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    If you want a sunrise shot across the water facing the sun for Pierce Reservoir, then only location is access from Chestnut Avenue.

  5. #5

    Default

    Preferably to have some rocks as fore ground..
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  6. #6

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Then it's time for you to head there and do some exploring on your own. Nothing beats that. Why rely on others for their composition and angles when you should be exploring your own?
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Then it's time for you to head there and do some exploring on your own. Nothing beats that. Why rely on others for their composition and angles when you should be exploring your own?
    Agree. Perhaps I should change another location tat I am more familiar with. Or do a through recce before conducting an outing..
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    sunset is always easier, at least you can move to the location and point at the right place before the sunset,

    sunrise is harder if you are not familiar with the location, you may find the spot is not ideal and not have time to move once the sun show his face.

    you can check out some of the photos taken by others for reference, but do take note the sun will not rise and set at the same place thru out the whole year.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    sunset is always easier, at least you can move to the location and point at the right place before the sunset,

    sunrise is harder if you are not familiar with the location, you may find the spot is not ideal and not have time to move once the sun show his face.

    you can check out some of the photos taken by others for reference, but do take note the sun will not rise and set at the same place thru out the whole year.
    Thanks. I find tat taking sunrise, I have lot of free time on that day as I force myself to wake up early. Good for time management. Haha .. off topic.
    Btw, we decide to change our location to changi beach to recce for next sat outings..
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  10. #10

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    I use google skymap. By using the "fast forward" feature I can see exactly where sunrise/sunset moonrise/moonset will be from my location.
    Alpha

  11. #11
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Upper Peirce is closed during the night / early morning, 7.30 pm to 6.00 am. Not sure if it had been changed. You could go at 6am, and carefully climb down the embankment dam (the huge slope), down to Lower Peirce, which your view would be eastward. Try to recce first in afternoon.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Upper Peirce is closed during the night / early morning, 7.30 pm to 6.00 am. Not sure if it had been changed. You could go at 6am, and carefully climb down the embankment dam (the huge slope), down to Lower Peirce, which your view would be eastward. Try to recce first in afternoon.

    Thanks for the advice
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  13. #13
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    oh another advice. dun jump into the waters... u might be the 9th person...

    stay safe my friend.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Upper Peirce is closed during the night / early morning, 7.30 pm to 6.00 am. Not sure if it had been changed. You could go at 6am, and carefully climb down the embankment dam (the huge slope), down to Lower Peirce, which your view would be eastward. Try to recce first in afternoon.
    a warden will come and close the main gate at 730pm. however, there is a side entrance for people to get out or in which does not lock..... it will be a really bad idea to lock people inside there through the night.....
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  15. #15
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Preferably to have some rocks as fore ground..
    Whatever you do don't go into the water to shoot and contributing to another floating body in reservoirs.

    There are unseen lonely female water spirits looking for handsome young men.

  16. #16
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Whatever you do don't go into the water to shoot and contributing to another floating body in reservoirs.

    There are unseen lonely female water spirits looking for handsome young men.
    must remember to pray to the god of punggol rocks... the mysterious one that lurks around the waters...

    then u will have a safe trip to all the reservoirs... and rocks appearing when u need them

  17. #17

    Default Re: Peirce reservoir advices

    don't feed the fishes

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •