Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket pain again!

Default Re: Pocket pain again!

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Provided that they need not pay more on their end too. If they need to pay more for fuel or rental, they don't earn from the fare hike.

Confirm Taxi Company will have a rental hike... if not, you think they so good to the drivers

But those company could also rise the rent and expect the drivers to work longer... and that isn't any good also. Being a shift worker... I have to report to my work place as early as 4:30am in the morning and might also end work as late as 1:20am. The Taxi allowance given to me has not be rise since it 1st started 7 years ago... the amount hardly even covers the cost of going or getting home from my work place anymore. So... I totally understand why people are Pi** off with this hike... but again, Taxi Driver need to eat too.

Scuba & Father... For Life

True, taxi drivers need to eat too.
    So we actually can't blame the drivers fully.

I took a cab before and start a conversation with the driver and he told me how much he have to cover for a day rental, which could reach about $90/+-.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Pay more never mind, in the wee hours of the morning it is bloody hard to get a cab... All show green sign but never stop, pretend not to see you flagging... I spoke to one driver who stopped before, he say all going to Changi Airport to wait for passengers...
    For such things, they want to wait for the "peak hour" to earn more $$. That's why between 6am-7am, most cabs can be found in the hawker centre or coffee shops carpark.

You know why this happens? Some **** voted for the "white side" during the GE. Listening to their stupid cries of "changing". After the GE then whites all forgotten what they said. Always increase fares so the taxi drivers all circling around S'pore during non-peak hours, waiting for us (the sitting ducks) to board during peak hours!
    These people are mostly the ones who now keep their mouth shut!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives
    CASE asks for justification to raise taxi fares
    CASE asks for justification to raise taxi fares - Channel NewsAsia
    Yesterday I asked the ministry to call me back to give me an explanation too...

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken
    For such things, they want to wait for the "peak hour" to earn more $$. That's why between 6am-7am, most cabs can be found in the hawker centre or coffee shops carpark.

You know why this happens? Some **** voted for the "white side" during the GE. Listening to their stupid cries of "changing". After the GE then whites all forgotten what they said. Always increase fares so the taxi drivers all circling around S'pore during non-peak hours, waiting for us (the sitting ducks) to board during peak hours!
    Its time to go black... nikon is very good brand... More democratic

Was chatting with a cab driver the other day and he mentioned that the fare hike are being planned in phrases with the final phrase increasing the flag down rate to just S$4.00+.

Not sure how reliable his statement was.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post

Sorry, I don't see how this is related to politics.

This has to do with one's personal work ethics, for every cab driver which circles Singapore during non-peak hours, there are cab drivers which stop because they feel that it's what they should do. There are always going to be ways to abuse a system - and the additional charges are there for a reason. One example is the late hour surcharge - the volume of passengers would drop generally, and the timing is one where most people would pack up and go home. Without the promise of higher earnings per pickup at such odd timings, you won't even see the ghost of a cab, let alone a cab zooming by.

Let's not confuse the two things. The system can be adjusted, but a cab driver not stopping for a passenger when he should, I can't really leave that at the door of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    Its time to go black... nikon is very good brand... More democratic
    Haha..

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Sorry, I don't see how this is related to politics.

This has to do with one's personal work ethics, for every cab driver which circles Singapore during non-peak hours, there are cab drivers which stop because they feel that it's what they should do. There are always going to be ways to abuse a system - and the additional charges are there for a reason. One example is the late hour surcharge - the volume of passengers would drop generally, and the timing is one where most people would pack up and go home. Without the promise of higher earnings per pickup at such odd timings, you won't even see the ghost of a cab, let alone a cab zooming by.

Let's not confuse the two things. The system can be adjusted, but a cab driver not stopping for a passenger when he should, I can't really leave that at the door of the system.
    I agree that it's the driver work ethics but this is not link to politics? I doubt so.

Let's see who's the head of PTC? What PTC are taking charge of? Fare increase need to go through PTC approval.
    All they think of is revenue based. The fares ALWAYS head north and never south.

The root of the problem is the peak hour surcharge is ridiculously high in S'pore (as compared to other Asian countries).
    Drivers have the attitude not to pick up passengers near the peak hours, is due to the greediness from the "bigger fares".

There is a linkage between all these factors. But who eventually allow the fares to be increase?

Let's see who's the head of PTC? What PTC are taking charge of? Fare increase need to go through PTC approval.
    All they think of is revenue based. The fares ALWAYS head north and never south.

The root of the problem is the peak hour surcharge is ridiculously high in S'pore (as compared to other Asian countries).
    Drivers have the attitude not to pick up passengers near the peak hours, is due to the greediness from the "bigger fares".

There is a linkage between all these factors. But who eventually allow the fares to be increase?
    To my knowledge (which has been confirmed by a quick check on the web), the PTC does not regulate taxi fares. So I'm not sure why you have dragged in the PTC when we are talking about fare increases for taxis. It has not had a hand in taxi fares since 1998. If you wish to argue that they should, then that's a separate issue altogether?

Public Transport Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    PTC regulates the public bus and rapid transit network in areas such as fares and service standards.
    Public Transport Council - Taxi Fares

Taxicabs of Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxi fares were regulated by the Public Transport Council until September 1998 to allow operators full freedom in setting their own fares in a bid to introduce greater competition in the market.

Many reasons why the busy sign on taxi is on. He/she has the right to put that sign on when he does not wish to fetch passenger. There is no obligation to fetch when he starts the engine. There is no fixed working duration unlike a front service counter. Other reasons could be he is going for his meals, toilet breaks, changing shift, going to fetch an advanced booking etc. he might also be going to the airport also. However he will have to put on busy sign which some don't which is wrong. Some realized only when someone flags them. Some are just super old uncles who don't even know how to type. Can't expect much from them. Just like drivers who supposed to give turn signals when they don't. Just need to give and take some of these imperfections. We need to be in their shoes to understand more. Just my 2 cents.

When I took a cab from City Hall last week, the cabbie said he use domestic helper, and planning to go for vacation to Bali.
    I thought.. whatt?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    When I took a cab from City Hall last week, the cabbie said he use domestic helper, and planning to go for vacation to Bali.
    I thought.. whatt?!?!?

Just because he is a Taxi Driver... do you expect him to be poor and live only hand to mouth ?? Some driver could put 3 children through University... so why is he having a maid or going for holiday an issue ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

To my knowledge (which has been confirmed by a quick check on the web), the PTC does not regulate taxi fares. So I'm not sure why you have dragged in the PTC when we are talking about fare increases for taxis. It has not had a hand in taxi fares since 1998. If you wish to argue that they should, then that's a separate issue altogether?

Public Transport Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public Transport Council - Taxi Fares

Taxicabs of Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You really believe them? I don't..
    They can always say PTC is their "consultant".

Anyway, no point discussing further. Once decided nothing will be changed.
    It never changes.

The main reason why I think they will be increasing the flag down rate is because of more mrt connections which allow more to make longer trips by switching over etc. as such more will be just taking cabs for short trips like from mrt stations to their destination. Since less of longer trips they will have to increase flag down to offset. The new structure is also incentive or maybe force them to drive longer hours.

You really believe them? I don't..
    They can always say PTC is their "consultant".

Anyway, no point discussing further. Once decided nothing will be changed.
    It never changes.
    No comments, though I note that you are making a lot of postulations. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori
    I thought.. whatt?!?!?
    Oh. Please don't look down on taxi drivers or suspect that they are earning high income. You need to look closer and understand their family background. Many taxi drivers even live in landed or private property. But perhaps it was a family heritage, he could have been a CEO when he was younger, his children could have been doing very well and they are all filial and gives him an income even more than you earn unlike others. Some drive just to pass time so you don't go senai. So don't judge a book by its cover. Still water runs deep. My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    I thought.. whatt?!?!?
    I don't understand, I assume that you are saying that you feel that taxi drivers should not be able to afford domestic helpers or vacations to Bali.

Not sure if you have considered the following points:

- Investments?
    - Spouse?
    - Family background?
    - Children?

Among many other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by spgohjc View Post
    Oh. Please don't look down on taxi drivers or suspect that they are earning high income. You need to look closer and understand their family background. Many taxi drivers even live in landed or private property. But perhaps it was a family heritage, he could have been a CEO when he was younger, his children could have been doing very well and they are all filial and gives him an income even more than you earn unlike others. Some drive just to pass time so you don't go senai. So don't judge a book by its cover. Still water runs deep. My 2 cents
    Yeah, should not look down on any single job. Not only the degree holders, MBA or PHD can earn high income, many diploma holders or even without any high education people also can earn much more than any degree holders. And the fact is they didn't need to pay expensive tuition fees and interests for bank loans. Many university graduates still need to pay tuition fees loan after they have graduated for many years.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 7th December 2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

My point is.. if the taxi companies saying this fare hike is to improve cabbies' welfare.
    How well is considered well enough?
    Maybe I should better take a driving lesson

Just speak with the wallet.
    I certainly will avoid taking Comfort cabs during their "peak hrs"

Not much point complaining so much but in the end LL still take their cabs.
    Just encourages them to take the customer for granted (b'cause they are garmen linked)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast