Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: stiff zoom in the nikon 24-70 2.8

Default Re: stiff zoom in the nikon 24-70 2.8

This lens is really famous for the stiff zoom. Quite a number of failure cases from here n my friends..

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Which batch is hard to say. Lensrentals turn over their lenses really quickly, and according to their reports their 24-70 acquired in 2010 are ok. But I have also read of a particular case in Malaysia where the same thing happened to a copy bought in Aug 2011, with late serial number (563XXX). That is very close to mine, but I have not face problems so far.
    I intend to get Brand New 24-70, so must make sure the Serial Number is after (563xxx) right ?

At August 2011 the serial number is 563XXX, wow the one tt nikon replaced my with has 637XXX so it might not be a refurbish set after all.

I was at NSC and asked about this out of curiosity. I was told that Nikon does not offer brand new replacements for the 24-70mm. They do offer to change the lens barrel. With a new lens barrel comes a new serial number but all other parts I.e. lens elements, focussing motor, etc remains the same. Just sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I was at NSC and asked about this out of curiosity. I was told that Nikon does not offer brand new replacements for the 24-70mm. They do offer to change the lens barrel. With a new lens barrel comes a new serial number but all other parts I.e. lens elements, focussing motor, etc remains the same. Just sharing.
    Hmm......i don knw bout the motor and other internal parts, but if NSC can strip my lens elements and give it a good clean up, change the barrel and put them back in less then 15mins then maybe what NSC told you is true.
    Cos the lens i sent in for the stiff zoom repair has got a fungus tt is only seen-able under the light at 70mm 2.8f. But when the lady pass me the "repaired" lens the fungus was gone.
    I was sitting at the sofa all the while surfing on my ipad, so from the time she took the lens in, come out and pass to me its bout 15min or less.

That's the scary part actually. I don't trust Nikon enough(from past experience) to let them take the lens apart, I really would rather write off my 24-70mm and get a new copy if this happens than sending it to CSC.

Blog Entries

That's the official line bro. Officially that is what happened.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackchua View Post
    Hmm......i don knw bout the motor and other internal parts, but if NSC can strip my lens elements and give it a good clean up, change the barrel and put them back in less then 15mins then maybe what NSC told you is true.
    Cos the lens i sent in for the stiff zoom repair has got a fungus tt is only seen-able under the light at 70mm 2.8f. But when the lady pass me the "repaired" lens the fungus was gone.
    I was sitting at the sofa all the while surfing on my ipad, so from the time she took the lens in, come out and pass to me its bout 15min or less.
    shssss...

Blog Entries

That's the scary part actually. I don't trust Nikon enough(from past experience) to let them take the lens apart, I really would rather write off my 24-70mm and get a new copy if this happens than sending it to CSC.
    Guess who I go to first when I suspect a problem?

Guess who I go to first when I suspect a problem?
    bro fatigue?
    Nikon D60|D7000|MB-D11|18-55VR|18-105VR|55-200VR|50 F1.8|Di866
    http://**********/u2jTNE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyOng View Post
    bro fatigue?

shssss...
    Ohh.... I see...... ok ok.... Shhhh..... ya they jus replace my barrel.

well he wont be back till end of dec b4 xmas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackchua View Post
    well he wont be back till end of dec b4 xmas
    Ya I know.

Well whaddayaknow!!!!! Zoom ring on my 33 day old 24-70mm had gotten tight overnight and it got worse after 30 mins of usage. Since its so new, I sent it to NSC and yes, was told a "barrel change" was in order and that it will take about 3 weeks due to shortage of "parts". Sent in last Friday and got a call from NSC following Tuesday monring and was told the lens was ready for collection....... they took 2 days. What did they do to the lens? Shhhhhh..........

Well whaddayaknow!!!!! Zoom ring on my 33 day old 24-70mm had gotten tight overnight and it got worse after 30 mins of usage. Since its so new, I sent it to NSC and yes, was told a "barrel change" was in order and that it will take about 3 weeks due to shortage of "parts". Sent in last Friday and got a call from NSC following Tuesday monring and was told the lens was ready for collection....... they took 2 days. What did they do to the lens? Shhhhhh..........
    You must be a very important Nikon client
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

ermm... I'm not even in nps.....

I believe they had the "parts" ready all along.....
    Last edited by Kit; 22nd December 2011 at 12:48 PM.

They DHL in the parts for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kit
    Now you are making me all worried bro.

yours is a new lens? I thought they solved this problem already with newer production lens....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast