Thread: Pandan Reservoir

Default Pandan Reservoir

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    anything that is on your mind.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    a nice landscape photograph.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    wanted to capture the sunrise but it was too cloudy with slight drizzle.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    the colours were able to bring out the landscape. dramatic clouds adds to the photograph.

I think the colours are great! But maybe if u could show a bit more of the sky, might be better.

I like the details of the rope nearview which complements the landscape at the far side.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pandan Reservoir

correct me if i'm wrong, did u slap an orange gnd filter at the bottom, a blue filter at the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Andersonsg View Post
    I think the colours are great! But maybe if u could show a bit more of the sky, might be better.

I like the details of the rope nearview which complements the landscape at the far side.
    thank you for your kind feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, did u slap an orange gnd filter at the bottom, a blue filter at the top?
    no ah. this shot was taken with a big stopper. after removing the colour cast in post-process, had to do some adjustment to the colour otherwise it would appear as very bland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    no ah. this shot was taken with a big stopper. after removing the colour cast in post-process, had to do some adjustment to the colour otherwise it would appear as very bland.
    weird. the color looks off to me, thats why i wondered if its because 2 GNDs that were colored were used.

some things to take note.

-the way the rope leads in from the left, and hangs mid photo is pretty distracting
    -color looks a little off to me
    -the right side of the photo is pretty empty, and very left heavy
    -sky and water pretty plain in general

i think you have to wait for another time of the day?

here is a sample by another cser that i could find, which shows the potential of a more interesting sky

not bad. u still got guts to go there shoot. i remember recently got 1 body found on the day i planned to go and shoot. i called my shoot off hahaha
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 6th December 2011 at 09:09 PM.

-the way the rope leads in from the left, and hangs mid photo is pretty distracting
    ya this one i have thought of it too but to me its still negligible.

not too sure what you mean by off but sometimes i feel if the colour of the sky can be slightly stronger it will be good.

to me still ok la, dont really follow the rules as it could result to boring photograph.

in fact i find the sky and clouds in the sample picture boring. dramatic skys can captivate viewers better.

other business: anyway as a general statement, i feel at we should avoid nitpicking on photographs. for example, the taut rope that leads in from the left, am i suppose to release it so that i could frame the photo better? at the point of time in pandan reservoir water could look boring as there are no waves crashing in but that is just because its pandan reservoir. every landscape photograph that we take tells a story of the scene and if we were to manipulate the photographs too much, we will not be able to bring out the true intent. we should borrow the scene as it is and adjust it accordingly to fit into the frame. cant critique the photo on the basis of an ideal situation.

btw bro im not directing at you, its just my 2 cents. i have noted your feedback and will bear them in mind when i shoot again.

ya i also got to know of the dead body while researching on that area. but dont know why still went ahead with it eventually lol.

Blog Entries

ya this one i have thought of it too but to me its still negligible.

not too sure what you mean by off but sometimes i feel if the colour of the sky can be slightly stronger it will be good.

to me still ok la, dont really follow the rules as it could result to boring photograph.

in fact i find the sky and clouds in the sample picture boring. dramatic skys can captivate viewers better.

other business: anyway as a general statement, i feel at we should avoid nitpicking on photographs. for example, the taut rope that leads in from the left, am i suppose to release it so that i could frame the photo better? at the point of time in pandan reservoir water could look boring as there are no waves crashing in but that is just because its pandan reservoir. every landscape photograph that we take tells a story of the scene and if we were to manipulate the photographs too much, we will not be able to bring out the true intent. we should borrow the scene as it is and adjust it accordingly to fit into the frame. cant critique the photo on the basis of an ideal situation.

btw bro im not directing at you, its just my 2 cents. i have noted your feedback and will bear them in mind when i shoot again.

ya i also got to know of the dead body while researching on that area. but dont know why still went ahead with it eventually lol.
    composition is important, not just about simply taking a photo and claiming its "your view". its an easy way out really, but then your photo will not be interesting.
    i'm just raising some possible things for consideration when you are shooting again in that area.
    knowing what to include in a photo, what each element says, adds value to the photograph.

the colours are off because of a weird orange cast at the bottom and a weird blue cast at the top. it just looks very unnatural, as though there are 2 light sources each lighting half the scene. its not often you get a mixed lighting situation in landscape photography...

well. i could always go with the bigger concepts , but i thought its too heavy. since u don't want nit picking...

what are you trying to say with this photograph?
    can i identify that its pandan reservoir from the image? how is this different from any other reservoirs?
    does your shot reflect what you really want to say then?

i'll leave you to answer them yourself.

as for the "true intent" part, it went right out of the window the very moment you chose to take a photograph. the act of you being selective, only showing part of a scene due to equipment limitations, meant that there is nothing that is unedited... your framing essentially is your first rough editing of a photograph already.

anyways, what is true intent? is it your view of a thing? if it is, then why is editing a photo in post processing to show your view a bad thing?

many questions, but i don't have definite answers. its easier for you to decide yourself what is it to you...

keep shooting and good luck

ok la bro, you write so long i need to rack my brain to reply to you leh which im trying not to.

I agree with allenleonhart that the rope took up too much of the photo. It gives the wrong idea that the main subject are the ropes.
    Furthermore, I'm not sure what time of the day is it. But I stay near that area, I can tell you Pandan Reservoir is "well known" for Sunset shots.

I recently had some shots during sunset at Pandan Reservoir too. It's quite nice.
    Maybe you can make your way down 1 of these day to shoot the sunset?
    Last edited by shaoken; 8th December 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    as for the "true intent" part, it went right out of the window the very moment you chose to take a photograph. the act of you being selective, only showing part of a scene due to equipment limitations, meant that there is nothing that is unedited... your framing essentially is your first rough editing of a photograph already.
    I fully agree on that point. Years back I had a discussion with a friend studying literature and we came across interpretations of lyrics. In contrast to what I have learned once in school she plainly said: The intention of the author is simply irrelevant when it comes to art. What matters is what the reader or listener perceives, notices, understands. Intentions matter in a court process ..

To TS: if you see from the feedback that your initial idea and what the viewers see does not match, well .. then it's time to rethink the composition again.
    When I looked at the pic two things I noticed first: an unexciting background (another line of housing estates) with a grey sky, a bit gloomy. Second thing I noticed: the ropes that seem to fall towards me and one rope disappearing the the left. Nothing that combines both parts. Since the background is boring to me the next question is: where does the rope lead to - pulling my eyes to the left where nothing is.
    Focus on one subject, either the background and sky or the foreground with the ropes. Read about Leading Lines in composition, such ropes can be nicely used. Don't try to put too much intention into pictures but ask yourself always why you want to press the shutter
    EOS

To take a picture of Pandan Reservoir,

That looks like Pandan Reservoir,

That would be a talented photographer.

To take a picture of Pandan Reservoir,

That evokes a thousand words,

That is a genius!

Blog Entries

If we should all stop nitpicking on photographs, what is there to critique?

I agree that we should borrow the scene as it is and fit it to the frame. But the "fitting" to the frame is where the difference comes in. You do not have to release the rope. You could have chosen another hook without rope to frame, or chosen another subject as your foreground, or compose it better when you fit it into the frame.

If you find the scene boring, why shoot there in the first place? and why present the picture here? Part of the skill of photography is to find interesting things/landscape/patterns/people to shoot. If you picture comes out boring, you cannot blame the location... you can only blame the photographer for shooting it. While some stories are very interesting and wonderful, some stories are just not worth telling.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 11th December 2011 at 10:21 AM.

One would be very fortunate to come upon a scene where every stray leaf is at its place and every element is perfect or acceptable.

In this composition, foreground is extremely important and by neglecting to take proper care in "styling " the messy rope leaves a lack of purpose in the photograph.

I will say, don't be a "I come, I see, I shoot " kind of photographer. Be a "I come, I feel, I shoot " instead. Have a sense of ownership in what's happening in your photograph, then viewers will know everything was intentional and as you wanted it to be. That I think is a big difference between photographers. Whether one is conscious and willing to spend a few minutes mulling over composition versus someone willing to accept everything placed in front of them.

I do think it's fairly shot overall but some attention to detail is required.

TS (threadstarter), u know what? Your attitude is very bad. If you cannot accept comments, then i suggest you post this photo in the Landscape section.

And you know what? Your photo is very mediocre.

You did not put in some thoughts how to compose this photo, obviously, a landscape orientation here is better then a portrait orientation. This photo, anyone with a DSLR + ND filter can achieve. Nothing fantastic to shout about.

If I were you, I will simply compose something like this (leaving the messy bottom layer away) and convert the photo to B/W to show more contrast n focus given to the dramatic sky.

Last edited by sinned79; 15th December 2011 at 12:06 AM.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    anything that is on your mind.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    a nice landscape photograph.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    wanted to capture the sunrise but it was too cloudy with slight drizzle.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    the colours were able to bring out the landscape. dramatic clouds adds to the photograph.
    The idea is not half bad, but the execution did not complete the idea.

There is really nothing wrong with arranging a rope. Did you not know that many photographers clean up the scene a bit, e.g. removal of stray leaves, etc? There is nothing wrong with that, you are not say, smashing a rock into half, or doing something which would not happen eventually with or without your presence. And the rope really doesn't matter one bit.

In any case, messy rope, taut or not, whether to mess with scene or not, at the very least, inclusion of the entire rope loop instead of chopping it off awkwardly would do wonders for the photograph.

The colors are really weird, there is a green cast in the sky, and there is a yellow cast at the bottom of the photograph. Did you just simply apply a sepia filter selectively at the bottom, because that looks like what you've done? One way of handling the weird colors, assuming that you merely used the Big Stopper, is to shoot in RAW and selective the whites of the clouds as the grey point. It will be closer to something more normal. If all else fails, having a BnW photograph (well converted one) will be quite ok here; much better than having wonky colors.

Landscapes are not easy, it's not just about going there, shooting it, and going home.. Sometimes you just have to keep reshooting and revisiting until you get something that you enjoy.

Cheers.

How about try the photo is whole sepia? It might look good I reckon.

I like this picture!

Cheers!