Thread: Packing it up

Default Packing it up

Hi

I have 2 question here and advice are appreciated.

a. Where to get hydrometer, for checking humidity within confined area.... Need not to be rocket-science precision.... but reasonablely accurate will do... (and afforadable)

b. The pink silica gels. Used to goreng it on the wok, but mother make noise...what is the next best (clean & safe) alternative to heat it till blue ?

thanks & have a great week ahead....

Hygrometer ... get digital ones if you can, more accurate than analog ones. Last time I checked, Ruby sells a small one for about $20 and larger one for $40. I don't know where you can get analog ones from.

Silica gel ... use an old wok or frying pan that your mum wants to throw out, and be sure to have a cover over it, in case any of the gel beads decide to play mexican jumping bean. But IMHO, it's not worth the trouble ... just go and get a new jar. You don't use a lot at any one time anyway, especially in a small sealed case ... you don't want it to get too dry inside.

normally i juz by new ones.... can last me like 3 months before i buy another one....

thanks for the note

Hmm,,,, $20 & 40, seems a lot for a simple dial.....

NVM, I will go hunt for one soon....

cheers

Silica gel; I used to spread it out thinly on a ceramic/glass plate and microwave it over on low heat for some time.

Otherwise a toaster oven will do the same thing.

how long and at wat setting ?

will it melt ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    how long and at wat setting ?

will it melt ?
    Hi Lensman, Hope this help.

Extract from

http://www.chemistryquestion.com/Eng...ng_agents.html

-----------------------------------------------------

-Method of reusing

In order to separate the water from used drying agent, we need to apply high heat. Open the bag of drying agent and transfer the contents on to a plate and microwave it. The dehydrated drying agent can be placed in a small porous bag like an envelope, and stapled to avoid spilling. I recommend windowed envelopes for easy viewing. Make sure not to burn yourselves because the silica gel would be very hot after being microwaved.

-Important points regarding the reusing process

Make sure that the drying agents are silica gels.

Ensure that the drying agents were used for food products. Do not try to reuse them if they were originally used for non food products such as shoes or some machines because they may have absorbed something other than water.

- When to stop microwaving ?

Silica gels are transparent bead-like substances containing some blue beads. The color is used as an indicator: blue beads can still absorb some water; if they have turned pink, it means the silica gels have already absorbed the water.

When microwaving, watch for the color change. When pink beads turn blue, you can stop heating. Do not depend on the time but always watch for the color change because the time varies depending on the water content and the volume of silica gel. Sometimes the beads turn a brownish color after being microwaved for a long time.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春