Thread: Gigapixel...this is insane.

Default Gigapixel...this is insane.

Wah lao eh!! We are only at 10 mega pixel. That's 100x the 10 mega pixel resolution!

But I think at 20 mega pixel it is more than enough liao as we found out through history that 35mm was more widely adopted than medium format because we do not need to print that big!

So what is the next step?

Heh heh... in Star Trek, the future of photography moves beyong 2D. It's called Holography. Pictures are taken in 3D and can be displayed in 3D either in your computer screen or can be replicated in the Holodeck whereby you can actually recreate the scene and move in it!!

seow... madness man. that tripod looks like something u can kill with. not to mention that TV looking like camera.

XTRA LARGE FORMAT anyone? hurhur

Huh?!Gigapixel?

Here's a digital gigapixel panorama created by joining together 196 pics.

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm

Really unimaginable. I wonder why cameras with more than 10 megapix are not becoming the norm, considering that we already have technology for 1000 megapix? Hmmm, imagine wad a macro with that cam can do, you can virtually see everything!!!

seems like a super large format camera. With a good scanner.....

his image is madness...but i guess if i needed the res tt bad...i would prob take a max of 16...it should take me say.....2 hours at most ...heheh..

Yes...This is insane....infact,those peeping toms on the beach are insane!!!

very impressive project!

Hey, good thing is, now you can put your photos on the sides of buildings and they will still be super sharp!
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

whoa lao.. another one.. hahah holographs.. haha.. its either 2 much star wars or star trek.. hahahahahhaah

too much too much...

hahahahahha

maybe there can be a goggle for us to wear around ? like a computer ?? like those kids training to be jedis.. hahaha

Actually, 100+ pixels technology has been in existence for a few years liao. Just that the pixel sensors are place on composite chips and not on one big chips. Easier to produce and replace too. The sensors on the Hubble Telescope are built this way too, think I read somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Castlesinthesky
    A couple of years and there'll be the first gigapixel mobile phone cam ! ..... then 2 then 4 then 8 etc etc..... and people will still be taking crap photos

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Actually, 100+ pixels technology has been in existence for a few years liao. Just that the pixel sensors are place on composite chips and not on one big chips. Easier to produce and replace too. The sensors on the Hubble Telescope are built this way too, think I read somewhere...
    http://hubblesite.org/reference_desk/glossary/hst.shtml

The Hubble Space Telescope’s Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 has four CCDs; each contains 640,000 pixels. The light collected by each pixel is translated into a number. These numbers (all 2,560,000 of them) are sent to ground-based computers, which convert them into an image.
    That's about 2.5MP altogether

Default Yet another gigapixel image

Check this out.

2.5 GPix, took more than 5 days to put everything together!

An excerpt, "TNO developed a sophisticated approach to merge the many images - all 600 of them. The photos were taken automatically using a modern consumer camera and a powerful 400 mm lens. The camera was positioned automatically using a computer-controlled pan-tilt unit...."