Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Flash for Canon 550D

  1. #1

    Default Flash for Canon 550D

    Hi, i am looking for a external Flashlight for normal photos shoot for my Canon 550D.

    Just want to buy low end one. Budget ard $100++

    Anyone can recommend me the brand and what is the estimate brand? Cannon seems expensive.

    Tot of going to that shop in AMK hub which alot of forum ppl have recommend. Do they sell other brand of flashlight?


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    if your budget is 100+, I guess your best bet is YongNuo flash. But many of them are manual ones. There are some ETTL ones, but you will have to do more reading for those.

    btw, Getting it off ebay can also be another cheaper option. You may want to take alook in ebay for it before deciding on the price you want to pay for YN flash.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by der35 View Post
    Tot of going to that shop in AMK hub which alot of forum ppl have recommend. Do they sell other brand of flashlight?
    Call them up and ask... Really, do try to do some basic research on your own before coming and posting here. We are not your concierge service.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    For a budget of 100++, there is only manual flashes available first hand... and like what Skystrike had mentioned, Yongnuo are pretty reputable. However for that amount you might get some flashes from our BnS section... just get one that is for Canon.

    And yes... do read up on different flashes.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    if your budget is 100+, I guess your best bet is YongNuo flash. But many of them are manual ones. There are some ETTL ones, but you will have to do more reading for those.

    btw, Getting it off ebay can also be another cheaper option. You may want to take alook in ebay for it before deciding on the price you want to pay for YN flash.
    Bro, thanks for the info. I saw website selling YN flash which is considerable quite cheap. Btw what is ETTL. What do u mean by manual? I thot the flash will trigger once I switch on my camera flash?



    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    For a budget of 100++, there is only manual flashes available first hand... and like what Skystrike had mentioned, Yongnuo are pretty reputable. However for that amount you might get some flashes from our BnS section... just get one that is for Canon.

    And yes... do read up on different flashes.
    Bro, thanks for info

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by der35 View Post
    Bro, thanks for the info. I saw website selling YN flash which is considerable quite cheap. Btw what is ETTL. What do u mean by manual? I thot the flash will trigger once I switch on my camera flash?
    TTL - through the lens. It means the flash automatically calculate the aperture of your camera and the flash power it need for that exposure.

    However if the flash do not have that (manual flash), the power output will be manually calculated by the photographer and input to the flash yourself. Also most probably (not sure), you cannot control the flash from your camera. Sure once you hit the shutter button, the flash will go off, but it will only fire off using your pre-determined output power.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    66

    Default

    You can try brilliant flash i own one an did a review of the product.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    TTL - through the lens. It means the flash automatically calculate the aperture of your camera and the flash power it need for that exposure.

    However if the flash do not have that (manual flash), the power output will be manually calculated by the photographer and input to the flash yourself. Also most probably (not sure), you cannot control the flash from your camera. Sure once you hit the shutter button, the flash will go off, but it will only fire off using your pre-determined output power.
    Thanks for the information. I am new to DSLR.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Kelevra View Post
    You can try brilliant flash i own one an did a review of the product.
    What the damage?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    66

    Default

    You can try Brillant flash it has ttl function for $150. I own one and wrote a review for it too

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    TTL Flash

    They sold quite a number of third party flash with TTL functions... pretty cheaply too.

    But if I was to choose, I would get a more powerful flash like YN565EX for S2XX... it is value for money and the flash almost had everything on a 580EXII for only a fraction of the cost. I have one and is loving it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #11

  12. #12

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Below $150 you can get ETTL flash, by yongnuo you can get say 465 468 model. Brilliant model is cheap too, you can google "sgcamerastore" or "tago-tech" or "artworkfoto" to have a gauge of price. Alternative go to MASS SELLING section to look at the prices which individuals import from overseas to sell here.

    If you are new I would recommend with ETTL, it can be useful when you need to shoot things quickly like events etc.

    Call the shop to ask, not all shops carry in various third party brands. Orient photo at Sim Lim does have yongnuo you can check out from that store too.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Kelevra View Post
    You can try Brillant flash it has ttl function for $150. I own one and wrote a review for it too
    Thanks thanks!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Called MS Color at AMK.
    Quoted me Nissin Di466 Cash Price. Most likely, will buy later.

    Bro, thanks for all the helpful advise.

  15. #15
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Actually there are some good flashes around in the buy and sell section. I got mine for $65 from one fellow CSer with TTL. And can be used as slave too! It's verynuseful for night or indoor shots
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Csboi
    Actually there are some good flashes around in the buy and sell section. I got mine for $65 from one fellow CSer with TTL. And can be used as slave too! It's verynuseful for night or indoor shots
    How to check whether it's still good condition or not? What is the thing that we need to check?

  17. #17
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Phone View Post
    How to check whether it's still good condition or not? What is the thing that we need to check?
    If possible, bring your camera down to test the flash with your own new set of batteries. Check for the description. Like maybe the seller mentioned slight user marks. But it looks heavily used, then maybe can ask for more discounts But most of the time, the description is accurate. Most importantly is the function and the things that comes with it.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  18. #18
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Phone View Post
    How to check whether it's still good condition or not? What is the thing that we need to check?
    First, read from the net or reviews of how was the flash and what to expect of it. If it is eTTL flash, then when you go down to meet the seller, attach the flash to your camera and test fire a few times, then see if the flash could 'communicate' with your camera, as in, when you set your exposure (flash exposure), it should also show on the flash itself. Set your camera to aperture priority (Av mode) and see when you attached the flash on your camera, on it, was it recognised by your camera and that the shutter speed is adjusted accordingly (which mean, the speed should be faster).

    If you are unsure of how to test the flash properly, it is better to bring someone who know with you... or just go to the shop and get a first hand one... afterall a flash is not really that big of an investment and you get warranty out of it.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  19. #19

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    get a yn465 will do

  20. #20

    Default Re: Flash for Canon 550D

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    First, read from the net or reviews of how was the flash and what to expect of it. If it is eTTL flash, then when you go down to meet the seller, attach the flash to your camera and test fire a few times, then see if the flash could 'communicate' with your camera, as in, when you set your exposure (flash exposure), it should also show on the flash itself. Set your camera to aperture priority (Av mode) and see when you attached the flash on your camera, on it, was it recognised by your camera and that the shutter speed is adjusted accordingly (which mean, the speed should be faster).

    If you are unsure of how to test the flash properly, it is better to bring someone who know with you... or just go to the shop and get a first hand one... afterall a flash is not really that big of an investment and you get warranty out of it.
    You gonna misled him and thought flash not working. Shutter speed doesn't change with or without flash for Canon Av mode. In Av mode, it meters only for ambient light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •