Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Safe to use higher end canon cameras in Bangkok and Pattaya?

Default Re: Safe to use higher end canon cameras in Bangkok and Pattaya?

I thinks its just a matter if you give a person a chance to steal from you or not

Buy a travel insurance that covers theft.
    Other than that, exercise the usual caution traveling in any country.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Buy a travel insurance that covers theft.
    sadly so far those SG insurance i come across does not have a insurance that specifically covers camera equipments... usually they cover by item basis and coverage is either $500 or $1000 per item (to the insurers, a cam body + lens = 1 item not 2 items - called and check before to clarify with these insurers last time), so planned wisely and just bring whatever lens u need to shoot with and leave the rest behind, this is another way to minimise loss.
    Last edited by sinned79; 12th December 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Alright! Just came back from Chiang Mai. So far in the night markets, I see a few people holding Canon DSLRs. I remember 2 people holding 10-22 lenses, and one guy with a strap that read 5D markII. Asking for trouble or not, I dunno, but I was quite alright. No one tried to open my bag, no attempts from motorcyclist snatching stuff, and no attempts of theft observed. Didn't walk down any dark alleys and mostly took local transports from place to place. Uneventful, thankfully.
    EOS 7D, EOS 450D | 10-22, 17-55, 70-200 F4 IS | YN465, YN560 II
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Wizongod View Post
    Alright! Just came back from Chiang Mai. So far in the night markets, I see a few people holding Canon DSLRs. I remember 2 people holding 10-22 lenses, and one guy with a strap that read 5D markII. Asking for trouble or not, I dunno, but I was quite alright. No one tried to open my bag, no attempts from motorcyclist snatching stuff, and no attempts of theft observed. Didn't walk down any dark alleys and mostly took local transports from place to place. Uneventful, thankfully.
    Chiangmai not consider those main cities, people are more simple + honest and u dun really get robbed. It's those in the main cities like Bangkok u are more likely to get robbed.

Ive carried my D3S in all of Thailand, Incl BKK for months on end, 2007 and more recently all is good as long as you have good "situational awareness".

Use common sense also !
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Was in BKK for a holiday in December. You don't have to worry...the Thai people walk around with DSLRs and Speedlights much much more than in Singapore!

That's right! Go to Thailand very often. Completely OK to walk around with a DSLR. I'm a girl and I walk around BKK alone with my big DSLR + 24-70mm, and nothing happened. Obviously, need to exercise common sense. Be very observant of your surroundings, don't be so focused on getting a good shot that you're not aware of what's happening around you.

Being friendly with locals is a good bet too. Usually I smile and say hello to all the locals I pass by (especially the old uncles and aunties), and sometimes I stop to try to talk to them. Seems to help!

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    That's right! Go to Thailand very often. Completely OK to walk around with a DSLR. I'm a girl and I walk around BKK alone with my big DSLR + 24-70mm, and nothing happened. Obviously, need to exercise common sense. Be very observant of your surroundings, don't be so focused on getting a good shot that you're not aware of what's happening around you.

Being friendly with locals is a good bet too. Usually I smile and say hello to all the locals I pass by (especially the old uncles and aunties), and sometimes I stop to try to talk to them. Seems to help!
    Hello, I worked in Thailand before and from you statement, sorry, you sound pretty gullible. Even the local Thai lady colleagues constantly remind me its not safe, how can you say it is safe base on your tourist experience.

Like any big city, Thailand especially Bangkok is not safe at night. In our company we had girls napped by strangers and raped and dare not report anything. And that happened in the busy Sirikarin Seacon center area. Its more than your DSLR your should worry about, its your personal safety. Come on.

If you take taxi, be very weary of those taxi drivers who can speak good English. If you do not believe me, you can try.

Avoid bringing too flashy equipment. You are only attracting unwanted attention. You never know who is watching you. Thailand economy is down and the recent flood is giving them a hard time. Don't go there to be an easy target. I have been there countless time, even to Ayuthaya (see my posts many years ago). A good P&S is more than good enough. If you want to bring heavy gear, preferable be in a group than a lone ranger.
    MF Film user. Nikon D800 works too.

Well, I've worked/lived for quite a period in BKK, so I'm speaking from personal experience. As you said, like any city, BKK can be dangerous or safe. It depends on many factors, like where you are, what time it is, who you're with, how you're dressed/behaving, etc.

The original poster specifically asked if it's safe to walk around with a DSLR. My answer was a qualified "Yes" and I stand by that. Many people have wandered around BKK with a DSLR, so it is safe. But as I've said, you need to be observant and cautious, exercising enough common sense to keep yourself out of potentially risky situations.

Ultimately, whether a place is safe or not is subjective. A place may have a low crime rate, but if you're the unlucky 1%, then you may conclude the place isn't safe. It's up to you to decide how much of a risk you want to take. I am simply relating my personal experience to substantiate the fact that in general, one can travel in BKK with a DSLR.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123