i am a newbie and have some really basic questions i hope someone can help me with. I have taken some digital pictures and i wish to send them for printing. My intent is to print them in 5R size (7 inch by 5 inch) :
1. i have resized them to 700 pixels by 500 pixels and done some bordering so that they look like postcards with those black border frames. But i noticed that the image size of the 700 by 500 pixel image is 9.722 inch by 6.944 inch (in the ratio of 7 by 5).
when the shop resize it to 5R size, will it crop away any parts?
2. i noticed that 9.722 inch by 6.944 inch (which is in the ratio of 7 by 5) has a file size of about 350kb. But if i resize it to 7 by 5 inch, the image size drops to 178kb only. Would the image quality suffer as a result of this resizing?
3. the original image is 2 MB size (5MP camera) and i want to print in 5R....
if i resize it myself to 5R at home, will the quality be the same as the shop resize it to 5R for me?
4. i printed the pics on my PC using a normal HP deskjet printer with photo quality paper and it was very low in quality.... is it due to the file size or the printer?
how to i reduce the file size and yet maintain the details?
5. when i reduce the image size, doesn't the file size automatically gets reduced also? i want to maintain the image quality but reduce the picture size: what setting on adobe do i have to do? (right now, the picture is 72 pixels per inch)..... i read on the web that it should be about 200 pixels per inch ???? if i force the photoshop to increase for me to 200 pixels per inch from 72 pixels per inch, any improvment in quality?
6. the picture looks ok on screen, but terrible when printed... why the discrepancy? is it the pixels per inch issue?