Thread: Sets with substandard QC from Thailand

Default Sets with substandard QC from Thailand

The flood in Thailand has caused a shortage of electronic parts and, in our case, cameras/DSLRs.

Is it true that in order to meet the ever growing demand for DSLRs, some of the sets from Thailand go out to market without proper QC?

I've heard several cases from my friends, and even in the forums, about their D7000. My cousin just bought one and it froze when he went to Beijing. Got a replacement when he got back. But now, his SD card keeps reading 'E', and has to remove and put it back.

Just wondering, cos this would determine when I'd get my cam.

Default Re: Sets with substandard QC from Thailand

Do not buy any camera until
    flood flows into the sea
    the sun returns
    and the land dries up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Do not buy any camera until
    flood flows into the sea
    the sun returns
    and the land dries up.

Or after 21 Dec 2012.... just incase the World 'DID' comes to an end.... unless you buy by installment (2-3 yeras type)... then won't be so bad if the World did end.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Who says Thailand got lousy QC?
    Hello, better wake up.
    We are very inferior in large scale manufacturing compared to Thailand.
    Singapore cannot even assemble a car properly.
    Thailand manufactures cars for Honda, Toyota, etc....
    Last edited by ricohflex; 3rd December 2011 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Hello, better wake up.
    Singapore cannot assemble car but can fabricate cutting-edge process semiconductors...

@TS: The floods only happened recently, highly doubt the factories are operational right now so anything on the market is likely from before the floods.

Hello, better wake up.
    ...for Lifestyle friends (or snobs), if you are staying in Thailand for a while,
    there is really no need to import your executive luxury car,
    armed with a new six-pot engine and comprehensive kit, the

BMW 525d

is probably the best made BMW in Thailand yet.

six-cylinder diesel engine
    power 204hp
    Top speed 235 kph

Sorry... I have to disagree.

The main reason would be that we CAN'T assemble a car CHEAP ENOUGH... or sell/rent those companies large pieces of land at a low enough price

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    Hello, better wake up.
    You need to think through what you're saying. It is obvious you don't understand what are business drivers.

You're the proverbial confirmation when you start to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Denniswong View Post
    The flood in Thailand has caused a shortage of electronic parts and, in our case, cameras/DSLRs.

Is it true that in order to meet the ever growing demand for DSLRs, some of the sets from Thailand go out to market without proper QC?

I've heard several cases from my friends, and even in the forums, about their D7000. My cousin just bought one and it froze when he went to Beijing. Got a replacement when he got back. But now, his SD card keeps reading 'E', and has to remove and put it back.

Just wondering, cos this would determine when I'd get my cam.
    I suggest getting it right now. the batch on the shelves now should have been produced before the flood and shipped from stockpiles. after the flood, they will have to disinfect and clean up their factory properly before shipping out clean camera units like before the flood. Western Digital (HDD Maker) is doing the same. so actually its not so about camera QC, but the cleaniness of the environment instead. you do not want those flood debri getting close to the camera's innards.

Quote Originally Posted by Denniswong View Post

flood got nothing to do with QC. if you ever work in manufacturing industry, you will know how they work. they don't qc every set they made. they don't qc every parts or components. maybe for every 1000 set, they will qc 1.

people said people said.... that's what i said coz i worked in those environment before. QC'ing every thing is not very productive nor cost effective..

you should have heard of Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration (SUA).
    Last edited by ninelives; 4th December 2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives

flood got nothing to do with QC. if you ever work in manufacturing industry, you will know how they work. they don't qc every set they made. they don't qc every parts or components. maybe for every 1000 set, they will qc 1.

people said people said.... that's what i said coz i worked in those environment before. QC'ing every thing is not very productive nor cost effective..

you should have heard of toyota brake system.
    Totally agree with you!

Read properly.
    large scale manufacturing
    not business drivers

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives

you should have heard of Toyota Sudden Unintended Acceleration (SUA).
    Yes, I know about QC, cos I've working in such environments too. )

What I'm asking is whether they're less stringent now that the flood's causing some backlogs and they're trying to meet the demand?

I wish this is just a bad rumour trying to further dampen the market sentiments.

I also would really wanna get it soon.

Read properly.
    large scale manufacturing
    not business drivers
    everyone has answered your question properly.

how can we have large-scale manufacturing in Singapore like Cars, Mobile Phones etc?

firstly, land is a constraint and is very expensive

secondly, wages are pretty high for such a job

thirdly, no one in singapore has interest or perhaps a large base of skilled workers relevant to the industry to be able to be hired.

fourthly, according to the third reason, if that's the case, we have to bring in foreign workers which would make the locals even more pissed off. furthermore, it'll only be more costs as you need to build dorms for them and pay them higher wages than usual.

fifth, nearby countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, which have cheaper land and labor are already doing it at low cost. why would they want to bring these manufacturing bases to singapore and suffer a profit cut?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309

how can we have large-scale manufacturing in Singapore like Cars, Mobile Phones etc?

thirdly, no one in singapore has interest or perhaps a large base of skilled workers relevant to the industry to be able to be hired.

fourthly, according to the third reason, if that's the case, we have to bring in foreign workers which would make the locals even more pissed off. furthermore, it'll only be more costs as you need to build dorms for them and pay them higher wages than usual.

fifth, nearby countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, which have cheaper land and labor are already doing it at low cost. why would they want to bring these manufacturing bases to singapore and suffer a profit cut?
    Well answered.

Similar to the US. Difference is that the US is very slow to admit this. And that's why they're in decline.

And the US is forcing everyone else to play by it's rules, especially China.

Hello, better wake up.
    Malaysia can manufacturer cars with Mistsubishi Evo engines, means they got a more superior manufacturing industry as compared to our?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

Actually we do have a rather developed maritime industry here in Singapore, in fact we are the world's largest builder of offshore oil rigs. Many electronics and precision engineering MNCs are also located here.

On a more morbid front, we are also the world's largest producer of 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 40mm ammunition and anti-personnel land mines. They have been used in major geographical conflicts ranging from Bosnia/Serbia, Cambodia/Myanmar, Iraq/Iran etc. etc.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Actually we do have a rather developed maritime industry here in Singapore, in fact we are the world's largest builder of offshore oil rigs. Many electronics and precision engineering MNCs are also located here.

On a more morbid front, we are also the world's largest producer of 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 40mm ammunition and anti-personnel land mines. They have been used in major geographical conflicts ranging from Bosnia/Serbia, Cambodia/Myanmar, Iraq/Iran etc. etc.

yea we do have those.. but for not really for consumers. it's only a minute fraction of the various different types of large-scale industries in the world

Where do find < US$1.00 per hour employee (with some as young as 7 years old) willing to work 12 hours or more a day 24/7 with no benefits and entitlements here in Singapore?
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra