Thread: Help with film (120mm) cam!

Default Help with film (120mm) cam!

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a toy cam/Diana F+ which uses 120mm film but I am not too sure about the difference between Scanning, Developing, Digital, Printing. Is digital just converting the pix to files viewable on a computer? Also is there any way to get the digital without having it in a CD-R like say a thumbdrive or laptop w/o CD-drive-friendly?

Also is the film expensive and how many shots can you take with a normal roll of film?

I'm trying to weigh whether getting a polaroid camera or a Diana F+ is more economical since I'm looking to purchase either for special events only. Thanks!!

Default Re: Help with film (120mm) cam!

Quote Originally Posted by girlicia View Post
    Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a toy cam/Diana F+ which uses 120mm film but I am not too sure about the difference between Scanning, Developing, Digital, Printing. Is digital just converting the pix to files viewable on a computer? Also is there any way to get the digital without having it in a CD-R like say a thumbdrive or laptop w/o CD-drive-friendly?

Also is the film expensive and how many shots can you take with a normal roll of film?

I'm trying to weigh whether getting a polaroid camera or a Diana F+ is more economical since I'm looking to purchase either for special events only. Thanks!!
    Duno much abt film..but i can say polaroid films are very expensive at this moment.. or at least i tink so. one pack of 8 exposures costing $28 - $40,depending on film type. Just got myself a SX-70 and trying out tmrw. Impossible project makes them for now

Film wise, most jus give shops to develop and scan themselves with a film scanner which then converts to digital. Cus the resolution shops give in digital format..not as high i believe.
    D7000/ MB-D11/ SB-700/ Tamron 17-50/ Sirui T1204x

Hi there, if you think that shooting on 120 film is going to be a regular hobby, maybe you should consider getting a scanner with film scanning capabilities.

I myself have a few camera using 120 film and I usually just scan them myself using a Canon 9000F after sending it to the shop for developing ( which is ard $6.80). I dun ask for prints as I find the price shops charge for printing from film now quite exorbitant.

normally 120 film has 12 exposures. you can always get the shop to develop and scan to CD, cost about $9 per roll for 35mm film. 120mm film iirc is more expensive... perhaps if you are interested in film photography it will be better for you to consider getting the 35mm film version as it's cheaper to develop and has 36 exposures.

however if you are seriously very into film photography, then you should consider getting a scanner for the film.. it will be more economical in the long run!

There is an entire section of the forum dedicated to that topic. Go and browse, read ...
    EOS

I'm not sure with Diana F+ but I used before Holga. The 120mm film can take 9 or 12 shots.
    It depends on the dimension of photo you're taking.

For scanning and stuff, I leave it to other bros to explain.
    Left the film scene 1+yr already. Lost touch with many things during the time.