Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this enough for wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by small pig

It not amusing. The groom is my friend and he is a photographer too..

I agree that 35mm is a good focal length but I dont agree that the IQ produce by f2 is good enough, unless he is using the 1.4 lens.. that my 2 cents
    Just finish a wedding dinner using 35mm f2 for 80% of the shoot..

Oh no .. Client going to complaint bad quality photo ..

Pls ppl, sharpest len does not produce good photo, kit len will do the job if u you know how to use it properly. Thats why pro have cheaper equipment than amature photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal

35mm f/2 not good enough IQ?

The 35mm f1.4G is only released last Dec 2010. If the IQ of the f/2 AFD is 'not good enough', then what is 'good enough' before Dec 2010? This is what people use for the past 20 years and I am sure there are way more fantastic good images created from this lens all over the world than what you ever shoot in your whole life. Before that the 35mm f1.4 AIS manual was from 1970s and this AFD f2 version is an improvement over the AIS in IQ.

There is way more to good photography then just comparing gear and sneering at what other people use.

Nikon 35mm f2 AF-D Review: Why Zach Arias and Myself Like This Lens - YouTube!
    Well said !!

Quote Originally Posted by Miao

Just finish a wedding dinner using 35mm f2 for 80% of the shoot..

Oh no .. Client going to complaint bad quality photo ..

Pls ppl, sharpest len does not produce good photo, kit len will do the job if u you know how to use it properly. Thats why pro have cheaper equipment than amature photographer.
    In fact he was disappointed with e output results ..
    Yep... Me still amature but I still say tat lens make e diff. A kit lens will never be able to produce e dof which 1.4 prime lens does.
    Last edited by small pig; 4th December 2011 at 12:51 AM.
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Default Re: Is this enough for wedding?

No matter what lenses you use, most important is you are able to capture the images that your clients like. And if the images can help you market yourself at higher price or win some international awards, does it matter what lenses to be used?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Its Definitely good enough

But you need a External Flash to get Nice Flash Photos for Table Shots with the 17-50

The canon 50mm f1.8 will be a Good Lens to Capture Candid Photos of Guest or Relative In the room and Prep shots in the morning without pushing ISO too high

Keep a Open Mind and Be Calm lol
    Only Good thing about CS Worth Watching is Kopitiam And B&S Section ... , no offence

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Yep... Me still amature but I still say tat lens make e diff. A kit lens will never be able to produce e dof which 1.4 prime lens does.
    Yes, lens makes differences. Photographer makes even more differences.

Here on CS we have a lot of D700 owners here asking how to shoot this how to shoot that.

Everywhere in the world we also have photographers with expensive lens shooting brick walls, peeping at results, then post and argue on forums, they have a lot of opinions and reasons but few real photos. While real artistic photographers make fine art photos with toy cameras and blurry plastic lens.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Some people are as shallow as the DOF of f1.4

Once I had a friend who complained to me that his pre wedding photog use 50mm f/1.8 for majority of his pre wedding. After seeing his album I see no perfectly problem with the photos, turns out that his been poisoned by his other camera hobbyist friend into believing the photos are not good. Truth is the other friend is just another photog wannabe that recently got into the hobby and thinks he knows a lot. What an a-hole that guy was to inject false and bad emotion into other people's wedding photos just to feed his own ego that 'he knows better'.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB
    Some people are as shallow as the DOF of f1.4

Once I had a friend who complained to me that his pre wedding photog use 50mm f/1.8 for majority of his pre wedding. After seeing his album I see no perfectly problem with the photos, turns out that his been poisoned by his other camera hobbyist friend into believing the photos are not good. Truth is the other friend is just another photog wannabe that recently got into the hobby and thinks he knows a lot. What an a-hole that guy was to inject false and bad emotion into other people's wedding photos just to feed his own ego that 'he knows better'.
    Haha .. lots of guy with big ego does this .. not surprising as i meet a lot during wedding dinner.

Amusing.

What an irony to talk about ego when everyone is arguing or running others down as if they know best!

shooting wedding involving in portrait, journalist, interior, landscape, events, close up, and etc, you also need know how to shoot with available only and with flash, plus understanding composition rules and using them in all your pictures.

shooting wedding is not only about what gears to use,
    if you are not there means simply you are not there yet,
    give you a 5DMKII plus all the L lenses also make not much different,
    if you can't capture the mood, if you can't anticipate the emotion,
    what kind of differences does a better camera and lenses can make?

if you can understand what am I saying, what gears to use is your least concern.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    35mm f/2 not good enough IQ?

The 35mm f1.4G is only released last Dec 2010. If the IQ of the f/2 AFD is 'not good enough', then what is 'good enough' before Dec 2010? This is what people use for the past 20 years and I am sure there are way more fantastic good images created from this lens all over the world than what you ever shoot in your whole life. Before that the 35mm f1.4 AIS manual was from 1970s and this AFD f2 version is an improvement over the AIS in IQ.

There is way more to good photography then just comparing gear and sneering at what other people use.

Nikon 35mm f2 AF-D Review: Why Zach Arias and Myself Like This Lens - YouTube!
    Agree. I used a Manual AIS 35 f2, coupled with a 85 & took thousands of photos incl weddings & nobody ever said it was no good. Nowadays, some people just buy some ex equipments & suddenly overnight they are (or at least they think they are) Photographers, & talk like they know best I bet my $$$ if shown some photos & based on these alone, the "photographers" can tell & say this is taken by 35 f2 lens, this by 35 f1.4, this by 24-70 & so forth
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 4th December 2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    shooting wedding involving in portrait, journalist, interior, landscape, events, close up, and etc, you also need know how to shoot with available only and with flash, plus understanding composition rules and using them in all your pictures.

shooting wedding is not only about what gears to use,
    if you are not there means simply you are not there yet,
    give you a 5DMKII plus all the L lenses also make not much different,
    if you can't capture the mood, if you can't anticipate the emotion,
    what kind of differences does a better camera and lenses can make?

if you can understand what am I saying, what gears to use is your least concern.

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Depends on what you shoot. If say is wedding dinner itself, then having thin dof might be of less concern because you might not be just shooting a single person and not everyone is going to stand in exact "focal plane" (dunno what's the right term) so that they are all going to be in focus at f1.4.

If you have 35f1.4, great you have the advantage of extra stop. If you have 35 f2 that doesn't mean it's no good.

I never shoot wedding before but I shoot indoor dinner events a few times using my 18-200 kit lens even though I have several primes that are of f1.4 and i thought if I have to stop down aperture then no point using a prime f1.4. I rather have zoom and flexibility, dof can be achieved through focal length not just aperture. End of the day what's more important is flash.

That's just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 4th December 2011 at 02:07 PM.

@smallpig. don't judge a photographer by the lens or gears he uses.

@the rest.. the photographer probably took a bunch of crap shots that caused the groom to be unhappy.

that being said, the most excellent equipment in the hands of someone who doesn't know what he/she is doing will just be another set of tools to get a normal shot.

the lousiest equipment in the hands of someone who definitely knows what he/she is doing will become magic with all the wonderful shots.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    @smallpig. don't judge a photographer by the lens or gears he uses.

@the rest.. the photographer probably took a bunch of crap shots that caused the groom to be unhappy.

that being said, the most excellent equipment in the hands of someone who doesn't know what he/she is doing will just be another set of tools to get a normal shot.

the lousiest equipment in the hands of someone who definitely knows what he/she is doing will become magic with all the wonderful shots.
    That's right. And if you know how to play with the lightings, depth of fields, etc, camera and lenses are just a little part of the equations for a great shot.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your comments.
    The wedding is over and do allow me to share what I have learnt from the event.

First of all, I am really glad and lucky to have met the kind hearted actual day photographer and videographer whom are willing to guide and share with me their experiences and to the extent of educating me on the spot.

I was allowed to shoot along side but of course most of the time I am trying hard not to get in their way, but there were time after they are done, they are willing to guide me to achieve the style/type of photo which was taken by them.

To the extent that they offered to loan their extra lenses and flash to me.
    Totally touched.

I do know the limitations of my camera before this event, what it can achieve and what it cant.
    I am restricted to only iso 1600 without external flash and the limitation of unable to custom white balance on the spot. Eg: setting white balance to 2500 instead of using present of 3200.
    Canon

u need a flash for sure.

the pop up flash is not powerful enough.

your f2.8 lens aperture is not wide enough (at least a f1.8 is required if u want to do without flash, but u still had to bump up your ISO).

your 50mm f1.8 is too tight (cannot take full body unless u step back enough).
    Last edited by sinned79; 5th December 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12