Thread: Just a thought

Default Just a thought

The Coveted 13th Month 'Bonus' In Singapore

There is only 12 months in a year. When you get paid a '13th month' of wages, you will feel delighted, no? No. Why do you think footballers in the English Premier League are paid weekly?

Ponder over these points.

Unless you are on commission or special bonus wage schemes, chances are you are paid a fixed amount of money monthly in Singapore.

Is there a possibility you get paid $10/hour on some days and $12/hour on some days in your course of work over the year? Of course not. You get paid the same rate year in year out, until you get a raise. If that's the case,

"Why are you paid the some amount of money in January and February?"

If you still don't get it. There are 31 days in January and there are 28 (normally) days in February. The question now - are you overpaid for February or underpaid in January? You choose what you want to believe in.

To me, February is the only month you get paid correctly in the whole year in Singapore. Employers in Singapore will never overpay you in February. Fat hope and you know it. There are four weeks in a month and we get paid for 28 days in a month. that's it. Straightforward.

In short we are underpaid in every other month other than February.

January - 3 days
    March - 3 days
    April - 2 days
    May - 3 days
    June - 2 days
    July - 3 days
    August - 3 days
    September - 2 days
    October - 3 days
    November - 2 days
    December - 3 days

3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 29 days.

The shorter way to calculate this would be:

1 month 4 weeks.
    You get paid 12 times a year = 12 x 4 = 48 weeks.
    There are 52 weeks in a year. 52 - 48 = 4 weeks unpaid

The fact is that Singapore employers hold 29 days of your pay over the year and could refuse to pay you your rightful money if you did not 'perform'. Even if they do it, that meant many employees in Singapore did not get any bonuses from their companies at all. The 13th month is your pay. It is Not a bonus!

In reality, if they pay us back the '13th month bonus', they employer still owe us 1 day's wages (29 - 28) and get away with it year after year, decade after decade. If you leave the company before the year is up your '13th month bonus' is forfeited instead of pro-rated. That's robbery.

This is ridiculous. The manpower laws in Singapore are not stopping the businesses against such unfair practices and the NTUC is not doing their job fighting for the rights of workers.

The next time you receive your "13th month bonus", ask yourself why are you feeling so happy getting back what you deserve in the first place?

Default Re: Just a thought

omg, i dont even get any 13th month bonus...
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

Next time you reproduce other person's intellectual property and hard work, please at the very minimum state the source and link.

A Singaporean In Australia: The Coveted 13th Month 'Bonus' In Singapore

Otherwise it's just intellectual robbery to me.

Unless you are the author himself, which in such case I give you two thumbs up and applaud your not flaunting your own blog.
    Last edited by JasonB; 2nd December 2011 at 06:40 PM.

You are assuming there's 4 weeks in a month x 12 months = 48 weeks a year when there's actually 52 weeks in a year, so we actually get short-changed? Monthly salary is based on 12 months in a calendar/financial year. It is NOT hourly, daily or weekly rated. The "13 month" is but an annual wage supplement, a variable wage component, paid when a business is doing well. Payment is not mandatory & it is not a bonus based on an individual's performance. Concept is different for different countries & industries.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd December 2011 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sachokphantom View Post
    The next time you receive your "13th month bonus", ask yourself why are you feeling so happy getting back what you deserve in the first place?
    So not happy can give back the 13th month bonus to boss or not?

Lucky me, have 13 month and I can short pay Town council, Telco, Paid TV, season parking, etc their 13 months.

I believe most companies calculate pay based on no. of working days and not calendar days. If i'm not wrong, there should be 21 or 22 WD every month..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Nope. I did post the link but it did not came out and i cant edit it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Next time you reproduce other person's intellectual property and hard work, please at the very minimum state the source and link.

A Singaporean In Australia: The Coveted 13th Month 'Bonus' In Singapore

Otherwise it's just intellectual robbery to me.

Unless you are the author himself, which in such case I give you two thumbs up and applaud your not flaunting your own blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    So not happy can give back the 13th month bonus to boss or not?
    Give to me lah, I go on lens buying spree
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd December 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Give to me lah, I go on lens buying spree
    Can share? at least can buy a couple of lenses.. hahaha
    Alpha

sachokphantom

You called it 13th month bonus.

The correct terminology is AWS - Annual Wage Supplement, named as such for exactly what its supposed to do.

Next time, check your facts before before you run down the road screaming fire.

Quote Originally Posted by qystan
    sachokphantom

The correct terminology is AWS - Annual Wage Supplement, named as such for exactly what its supposed to do.

It's a copypasta la uncle..
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    sachokphantom

A lot of people call it 13th month too.. haha =)
    Alpha

ahahaha. A Singaporean Son? more like A Singapore Troll who managed to troll all those idiot singaporeans

Sorry all. Before every one get workout i better close the thread. Thanks.