Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: To remove or not to remove?

  1. #1

    Default To remove or not to remove?

    I'm not referring to any pieces of clothing... (sorry to disappoint).

    I'm talking about the black gaffer tapes that's plastered on DSLRs.
    Recently got myself a used D7000 from a rather conscientious dude.
    He gaffered the camera quite comprehensively, and now I am wondering whether to remove it.

    I intend to use this camera for a long time; at least 3-5 years.
    Warranty would have been long gone by then. Even if I sell it again, it won't be much.
    Is there any point to keep it plastered up? I am thinking of just removing it...

    Just wanna hear everyone's opinion. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    I own no less than 5 cameras now and never have one gaffered....because I like the way it looks

  3. #3
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Gaffer tape will leave residue if left too long. Best is to remove and regaffer every few months. Personally, I don't gaffer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Depending on the quality of the smell left behind on the gaffer tape by the previous guy.

    All personal preference.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  5. #5

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    if i were you i'd ask him to remove all the tape from the camera and let him clean all the residue left behind, before i hand him the cash.


  6. #6

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by MashiMaro View Post
    if i were you i'd ask him to remove all the tape from the camera and let him clean all the residue left behind, before i hand him the cash.

    Argh!! The camera's already 2 years old! Probably the residual stains already there.
    Remove! Remove! Thanks for the tips, guys. I will clean it up as much as i can.

  7. #7

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniellcs View Post
    Argh!! The camera's already 2 years old! Probably the residual stains already there.
    Remove! Remove! Thanks for the tips, guys. I will clean it up as much as i can.
    erm.. usually an eraser or WD-40 will help in removing residue, though i'm not sure for your case. Could give it a try..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  8. #8

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniellcs View Post
    Argh!! The camera's already 2 years old! Probably the residual stains already there.
    Remove! Remove! Thanks for the tips, guys. I will clean it up as much as i can.
    If I remembered correctly, D7000 is only less than 2 yrss old since announced.

  9. #9

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFC25 View Post
    If I remembered correctly, D7000 is only less than 2 yrss old since announced.
    Very observant. You're right: DSLR was purchased in Nov last year.
    I supposed it'll be a month to 2 years (2010-2012), heh.

  10. #10
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    I find this thread interesting. Why tape up the camera to protect the body unless there are good reasons, better grip or weather proof. the manufacturer design such a nice body and we covered it.

    If you ready want to protect it from wear and tear, I think there are proper body casting on sale. It is like buying a car and not removing the plastic protection to the car seats or not polishing off the protective wax from your car body.

  11. #11
    Senior Member cichlid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S'pore
    Posts
    5,060

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    I used to gaffer taped the bottom of my D90 but removed it thinking I was gona sell it. I didn't sell the D90 and regret removing it.

    I had the gaffer tape stick on for 2 years and dont see any residue problem. Mine is the camo type.

  12. #12
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    My black camera is now silver because I didn't gaffer. Maybe I should have...
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniellcs View Post
    I'm not referring to any pieces of clothing... (sorry to disappoint).

    I'm talking about the black gaffer tapes that's plastered on DSLRs.
    Recently got myself a used D7000 from a rather conscientious dude.
    He gaffered the camera quite comprehensively, and now I am wondering whether to remove it.

    I intend to use this camera for a long time; at least 3-5 years.
    Warranty would have been long gone by then. Even if I sell it again, it won't be much.
    Is there any point to keep it plastered up? I am thinking of just removing it...

    Just wanna hear everyone's opinion. Thanks.
    If you remove the tapes the sensitive skin of the naked camera body may not tahan the sun and wind not to say your constant touch.

  14. #14

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniellcs View Post
    Very observant. You're right: DSLR was purchased in Nov last year.
    I supposed it'll be a month to 2 years (2010-2012), heh.
    Math fail?

  15. #15

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Remove.If got residue, never use any chemical or solvent.Instead, use fresh gaffer tape to stick up the residue. If still got remains, use a product known as goo-off available at DIY stores.Had gaffered gear for years without problem, trick is to keep them in cool rooms or air-conditioned rooms most of the time.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  16. #16

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    i dont gaffer my stuffs.. like it the way it is.

  17. #17

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Previous owner gaffered the camera with clear intention to sell it.
    I have friends who do it too. Always thought it was SOP.

    Anyway, fresh gaffer tape, goo-off, eraser, WD-40...
    I think my arsenal should be enough to pulverize any residue.

  18. #18

    Default Re: To remove or not to remove?

    Quote Originally Posted by cutecdo View Post
    Math fail?
    Ya lor, maths fail.
    That's why I'm into photography and not rocket science.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •