Thread: is Nikon 8700 a good start for a newbie?

Default is Nikon 8700 a good start for a newbie?

hi,

i have been reading quite a number of reviews on DSLR, and i might be wrong, but it seems to me that Nikon 8700 is one that can do a macro shot at about 3cm. I love macro photography and that's why i am focusing on this aspect of the camera besides other features....

would like to hear your comments about this camera and its competitors... which do you think is a good DSLR start for a complete newbie ?

thanks
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Quote Originally Posted by erictan8888
    hi,

i have been reading quite a number of reviews on DSLR, and i might be wrong, but it seems to me that Nikon 8700 is one that can do a macro shot at about 3cm. I love macro photography and that's why i am focusing on this aspect of the camera besides other features....

would like to hear your comments about this camera and its competitors... which do you think is a good DSLR start for a complete newbie ?

thanks
    Hmm....i am also new but 8700 is from the coolpix series? I dun think its a DSLR. Prosumer cam is more like it but i may be wrong

Nope, not DSLR, but a high-end prosumer model.
    No. 1 feature of SLR is changeable lens.

Default buy 8800!

hi,

thanks
    buy 8800! better

i tthink 8800 would be a better idea for macro....since more zoom n with VR somemore...

roughly how much is the 8800 ? thx

read a user opinion on the 8800:

the user says "Well, the good news is that the camera arrived and I bought it! The bad news is that the macro function is practically useless because of the shadows! I see there is a cool light adaptor that apparently fixes this but I can't believe such a major flaw was part of the design in the first place. Other than that, it's pretty cool. But, because macro is one of my major things, I don't know if I want to put up with adding an attachment all the time or change cameras.

Anyone have any ideas about macro? "

what is the shadows that the user is talking about ? can someone pls enlighten me ? thx
    Last edited by erictan8888; 12th November 2004 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive28
    Nope, not DSLR, but a high-end prosumer model.
    No. 1 feature of SLR is changeable lens.
    SLR = Single lens reflex....

erm, i am a newbie also
    depending on how new u r, if u totally are just like me, lost abt all the focal distance and stuff, perhaps u wanna get a 2nd hand F717(sony) or CP 5700, to learn the ropes first? i think CP 8700 and 8800 r pretty high end PROSUMERS.

CP 8700 is not a DSLR. u can get the CANON 300D or NIKON D70 if u want a entry level DSLR. (since i think price not much diff, well, initial price that it)

Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    erm, i am a newbie also
    depending on how new u r, if u totally are just like me, lost abt all the focal distance and stuff, perhaps u wanna get a 2nd hand F717(sony) or CP 5700, to learn the ropes first? i think CP 8700 and 8800 r pretty high end PROSUMERS.

CP 8700 is not a DSLR. u can get the CANON 300D or NIKON D70 if u want a entry level DSLR. (since i think price not much diff, well, initial price that it)

hi, sorry for such a stupid question:

what is the diference in performance between a high end prosumers and a entry DSLR ?
    the D70 price is about $500 more than the 8700.....

the CP5700 can still buy? are the shops still sellign this model? roughly how much is it ? thanks a lot

Basically, the differences between a prosumer and an SLR is this:

1. An SLR allows you to change lenses, which is a major difference. A prosumer has a fixed zoom lens.
    2. Shutter lag for an SLR is negligable, while a prosumer will have some shutter lag. Recent prosumers have minimum shutter lag, but still can tell the difference.

NB: Shutter lag is the time difference between a person press the shutter button and the shutter actually opens.

hi, sorry for such a stupid question:

what is the diference in performance between a high end prosumers and a entry DSLR ?

the CP5700 can still buy? are the shops still sellign this model? roughly how much is it ? thanks a lot
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Exclamation Fyi

roughly how much is the 8800 ? thx

Anyone have any ideas about macro? "

what is the shadows that the user is talking about ? can someone pls enlighten me ? thx
    The last I heard, 8800 is selling for roughly $1550 w/gst. It's about the same price as the 300D.

Shadows... If I'm not wrong if you use the built in flash while doing a 3cm macro. You'll end up with the kind of shadow (encircled in red) below. Either way, even if you dun use the built in flash, you can still end up with the below shadow if the light source is behind you.

I dun think this is a major drawback since you can use an external strobe to counter the effect. But the major plus point here is the 3cm macro with VR on the 8800.

If I haven't already got a prosumer cam, I would have gone for the 8800

Like what virgo said. DSLRs allow you to change LENSes and therefore you get infinite(or nearly infinite?) possible configs. But they are DSLRs.. therefore you need to put your eye to the eye piece to compose and shoot your pic.

The 8800 however has a flip and twist screen useful for doing awkward shooting positions. There are many PROs and CONs between DSLRs and PROSUMERs.

However, if you're only interested in macros you don''t need a DSLR just to do it. Check out this 2 links if you haven't seen them:

Macro by Sgt. Pepper
    Macro by megaweb

Investing in a DSLR isn't about a camera.. it's about a photography system.. first you buy the body.. then the lens.. then you'll find the limitations of your current lens and BUY another one.. then there's the flash.. and the flash has got add-ons too! bounce card, light diffuser, soft box, coloured gels...

Actually.. I'm torn between the 8800 and the D70 myself.. hahahh
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

There are alot of difference between the 2 and it depends on how committed you are and how much you can spent. A DSLR is a system not a camera. You buy 1 pcs at a time depending on your fancy and what you need. Some "accessories" can cost more than a consumer camera itself so do be careful. It can be mindboggling with so many things to learn all at once.
    However DSLR is the way to go if you want to get into photography.

Consumer cam however is a camera not really a system and at most you could add some accessories to it but cannot match the vast array of things you can do with a SLR. Mostly comes complete. A good entry to learn photography and when you are through with it, upgrade to a DSLR.

Bear in mind that it may be different when you upgrade from a consumer cam to a DSLR. The way lens work on both may be different. In short both are of a very different beast.

Difference in both may be
    1) Quality of photo due to sensor used. i.e. higher noise etc
    2) Quality of Photo due to lens i.e. DOF of diffferent lens and design, resolution of lens etc
    3) Response of machine i.e. shutter lag, start up etc
    4) Handling i.e. weight, comfort etc
    5) Flexibility i.e. Lens interchangable, moveable LCD, Preview etc.
    6) Maintenance i.e. Problem of dust on sensor etc.

and Many More

thanks for the so many helpful replies....
    seems like right now, i might be going more for the prosumer camera.... cause the D70 plus lens all add up to very expensive leh....

just like to know if the Nikon 8700 or the 8800 worth the money or not?

between these 2, how different are they in terms of performance (besides the VR and the price)

thanks all again... reallyl appreciate you taking your time to type and enlighten a newbie....

I will go for the 8800 :

10X (35 to 350!!)optical zoom and VR is already worth the few hundreds difference. very good all rounder camera to me.. good for portraits and sports events But with such a large zoom range will have to watch out for slight distortions (nothing PS can't handle)

BUY BUY BUY!!!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

hi,

thanks
    Hi,

Here a link to dpreview I used the side-by-side feature to short list the reviews of a few prosumer d-camera.

fyi.. hope it can help you select... of course there are also other models available..
    Last edited by harmony; 13th November 2004 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Basically, the differences between a prosumer and an SLR is this:

1. An SLR allows you to change lenses, which is a major difference. A prosumer has a fixed zoom lens.
    no lar..... slr can have fixed lens, like the oly e-10/e-20....
    does not mean can change lens = slr, like dat some rangefinders oso are slr lah...
    slr has a single set of lens/mirrors to reflect the light coming into the camera
    through the lens into the viewfinder. ..