Thread: tips on starting out with food photography

Default tips on starting out with food photography

hello fellow photographers!

I am a budding photographer who wish to start exploring on food photography. Currently i have a nikon d7000 , 18-105 kit lens and a sb600. Is it possible to try food photography with these equipments and is there other tips on what lenses is appropriate and probably how to take good food photographs?

Default Re: tips on starting out with food photography

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverline View Post

I am a budding photographer who wish to start exploring on food photography. Currently i have a nikon d7000 , 18-105 kit lens and a sb600. Is it possible to try food photography with these equipments and is there other tips on what lenses is appropriate and probably how to take good food photographs?
    Yes. It is possible with your current kit... but I would think that you need an external flash for better control of the lighting.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Yes. It is possible with your current kit... but I would think that you need an external flash for better control of the lighting.
    hehehe SB600 IS an external flash

TS, I think your set-up is more or less there.
    It all depends on how you wish to compose your food shots. If you want to go really close and pick out intricate details, then you might need a lens that focuses closer than the 18-105.
    Experiment with your composition and lighting. D7000's pop-up flash can be used in commander mode to trigger your SB600 wirelessly. Useful when you want to try side-lighting on your subject.
    Exploring! :)

good enough.
    go out n shoot now
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Maybe you also need a macro lens and led light or plus a diffuser for your flash so the light is not too harsh?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Angle is very important in food photography, try to find an angle that is able to showcase the best part of the dish.

And as Bonnie Jie pointed out, having a Macro lens is useful as times to highlight some special details in the food (e.g: Salmon Roe) but not really needed, composition is more important. Also a LED light and or a flash with diffuser is good because a lot of restaurants has very bad orangery lighting. Try to use natural light if available

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverline View Post

what you have is good enough.
    generally, you need good ambient light. For composition..... read up photography books, look at photos thread at "Abstracts and still Life" subforum.
    for books, generally like these.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...graphy&x=0&y=0
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by tsumetiv
    Angle is very important in food photography, try to find an angle that is able to showcase the best part of the dish.

And as Bonnie Jie pointed out, having a Macro lens is useful as times to highlight some special details in the food (e.g: Salmon Roe) but not really needed, composition is more important. Also a LED light and or a flash with diffuser is good because a lot of restaurants has very bad orangery lighting. Try to use natural light if available
    Wah then I must call you Tanner Di Liao.

Anyway, to Thread Starter I recommend you look through this thread and study why the pictures work out. one of the best I've seen in a long time.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/abstr...-homefood.html
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

look at some crap food photog and learn not to be like them. I noticed in mrt the pizzahut lemon duck photo doesn't even focus on the lemon or duck, rather soup below, another focus on the veggie, while the main dish blurred out (in a v distasteful way) geez..