Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 94 of 94

Thread: Need some advise on DSLR body.

  1. #81

    Default Comedy of the Day

    Hi everyone,

    I had a good laugh when some personal vendattas got out of hand and became flame wars. The thread starter was just asking a simple question of what system to get. When another newbie joined in the thread asking somewhat similar questions, the entire thread just went off tangent! Thanks to the vets on this forum for keeping things in check

    Relax folks

    Hewland

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user
    ..
    I personally carry 4 bodies with me when on assignment, and well. lenses wise, both nikon and canon are seriously on Par i feel... with Canon having the slight edge in quality/contrast, but Nikon THRASING canon with their durability and ability to deliver under constant abuse from work. Trust me. Get a canon tele zoom, and subject it through the East timor villages for 3 wks with a 1vhs.. lense = FOG, and my 1v's REWIND MECHANISM BROKE!!!!!!!!! sigh.... ended up using a FM2 and the good ol 50 1.4 non af, and 80-2002.8. however this was back in 97 where a 2.1 mp was WOW...

    i believe the 1V was not introduce until 2000. You may get your facts wrong.

  3. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default Forgot to mention

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    i believe the 1V was not introduce until 2000. You may get your facts wrong.
    For those ardent canon fans out there.. i'm sorry... by right, the 1v was introduced in 1999, released in 2000. yes...

    I get my cameras 2 yrs in advance due to the nature of my work. ie: F5 in 1995, 1v in 1996-7, etc etc...

    It's part of the "testing" process by the major camera companies, who let their cameras undergo field testing prior to releasing them for the commercial market.

    And i do believe that press companies still do get their cameras well in advance of any official product release.

    ie: SPH had their d1hs 1 yr even before cathay had their first shipment.

  4. #84

    Default

    buy used top end (D1, D1H, 1D). cheap and good. no worries for ever

  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    No worries dude, the basic rule to get good images is to keep shooting, you'll be very angry and pissed with your first few images definitely, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be happier, right now if you still want to talk and know more about Nikon DSLRs can feel free to PM or post in the Nikon sub-forum, regarding Canon DSLRs I only know a little bit about them so if what I can share I will.

    Regarding taking good images, hang around and shoot more!!!
    Yeah I'm still pissed with the lighting for the toy thingy I posted here, can't get it the way I wanted

    And well, 3 years of shooting i'm still pretty much pissed with majority of my shots, if I did A right, i've got B,C and D wrong, If D's right, A, B and C will be wrong... well you get the idea

    Well, but it's getting better, so as espn said hang around and shoot more.

    And oh, I don't use Canon or Nikon, but I love my camera. Solely personal preference tho. All cameras are competant tools in the right hands.

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    $4k budget is not enough for 20D.
    also set aside $500 for your camera accessories, unless you want to buy the cam for display purposes only.

    Tested the 20D at sitex...the shutter noise is terribly loud ..wonder why did canon do that ...?

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user
    For those ardent canon fans out there.. i'm sorry... by right, the 1v was introduced in 1999, released in 2000. yes...

    I get my cameras 2 yrs in advance due to the nature of my work. ie: F5 in 1995, 1v in 1996-7, etc etc...

    It's part of the "testing" process by the major camera companies, who let their cameras undergo field testing prior to releasing them for the commercial market.

    And i do believe that press companies still do get their cameras well in advance of any official product release.

    ie: SPH had their d1hs 1 yr even before cathay had their first shipment.
    So the press agencies are constantly beta testing for us consumers , find that really ironic. Anyhow, considering how trouble-laden a lot of these cams have been on release, they aren't doing a very good job at it! You deserve a thanks for being our guinea pig!

  8. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    So the press agencies are constantly beta testing for us consumers , find that really ironic. Anyhow, considering how trouble-laden a lot of these cams have been on release, they aren't doing a very good job at it! You deserve a thanks for being our guinea pig!
    i honestly wouldn't really mind being a guinea pig when we get an endless supply of bodies and lenses of any brand at a moment's notice.

    Though we do "test" the new equipment prior to them being released in the market, i can simply say that the products they give us, (associated reuters, press, etc) are basically the best of the best and as such, we've placed in them our complete trust as after all, our rice bowl depends on it.

  9. #89
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Sorry, just wanted to add that yes... though there've been "trouble" with some of the equipment upon release to the public, these were mainly restricted to the firmware released to the consumers.

    most of the time, those covering with dslrs usually had their firmwares flashed with a version specifically tailored to the needs of the department. And these versions rarely give any trouble at all.


    I'm not too sure if nikon / canon cover that within their contracts with sph here, but i do know that the company i'm working for has specific versions of firmware for its 1ds and 2hs tailored to the needs of the venue of coverage.

    Sadly these troubling issues consumers face only surfaced with the implimentation of digi coverage.

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    erm.... so, did anyone tested the D2X couple of yrs ago?
    flickr me....
    exposure medium: 30% film, 70% sensor

  11. #91
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    It was out in year 2000 I believe, several of my friends and me were already playing with D2X then, online and on battle .NET, depends on your preferance

  12. #92
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F5user
    Sorry, just wanted to add that yes... though there've been "trouble" with some of the equipment upon release to the public, these were mainly restricted to the firmware released to the consumers.

    most of the time, those covering with dslrs usually had their firmwares flashed with a version specifically tailored to the needs of the department. And these versions rarely give any trouble at all.


    I'm not too sure if nikon / canon cover that within their contracts with sph here, but i do know that the company i'm working for has specific versions of firmware for its 1ds and 2hs tailored to the needs of the venue of coverage.

    Sadly these troubling issues consumers face only surfaced with the implimentation of digi coverage.
    So the manufacturers actually have a perfectly working firmware right off the bat, give the perfect, bug-free versions to you guys to test for free, and then subsequently flash inferior, untested buggy versions to the paying consumer? What a way to do business! Interesting to hear about customised firmware for different shooting conditions and venues of coverage, care to share some examples of what these may be?

  13. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
    Posts
    930

    Default custom firmware

    Ok... some good examples are:

    back when the d2h was used within the company, the cache was flashed with a ver which only allowed the camera to shoot at 1024x768. The firmware also immediately duplicated the picture so that the card or the remote storage would have 2 images in diff formats, raw and nef (if i remember correctly)so as to cater for the publishing department to plough through the images once uploaded.

    If the assignment was a press conference, firmwares were mainly written to "lock" the whitebalance in for that particular event, with the nikon/canon technicians presetting the balance to their utmost best at the workshop prior to deployment.

    I guess, this was particularly done to prevent the human interface from fumbling with the gadget, thus hindering workflow, and to "lock in" the settings for the photojournalist so as to allow him to shoot and capture for his rice bowl as accurately as possible.

    For the average user outside, you're paying a full and hefty amount for the device and thus, of course the company will try their best to give u what u want, but as with all digital tech... it's never perfect.

  14. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Potong Pasir
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Thanks for all your advise. I guess all the DSLR is not that perfect. Well look like that to me at the moment.

    Thanks again to all of you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •