Thread: Anyone can recommend a Website on Lens?

Default Anyone can recommend a Website on Lens?

hi,

i am very confused by which lens is used for wat? and all the terms that r related to lens

so anyone knows of any website where i can read up on them?
    like:

wats manual focus lens? is there auto focus? (i thought all lens manual focus )

what kind of lens used for what kind of shoots(macros, street, landscape etc)

lens speed? read here and there about fast lens for diff events, lens have speed?

yeah...and the list goes on, so hope some of u guys and share with me some webbies if u know of any...
    thanks thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wainism
    hi,

i am very confused by which lens is used for wat? and all the terms that r related to lens

so anyone knows of any website where i can read up on them?
    like:

wats manual focus lens? is there auto focus? (i thought all lens manual focus )

what kind of lens used for what kind of shoots(macros, street, landscape etc)

lens speed? read here and there about fast lens for diff events, lens have speed?

yeah...and the list goes on, so hope some of u guys and share with me some webbies if u know of any...
    thanks thanks

There are manual focus lenses, the type where it was used many years, say about 30 years?, ago. You not only have to adjust the Zoom (if you are using Zoom lens) you need to adjust the focusing too, nowadays, the camera automatically focus for you.

Macros - Required Macro Lens, Landscape - Wide Angle, Street - Anything, depending on what you want from street photography.

Fast Lens = lenses with big aperture, such as 2.8, 2, 1.8, 1.4, 1.2, 1, basically the lens allows more light to pass through thus the ability to use fast shutter speed.

Slow Lens = Lenses with relatively smaller aperture, let less light to pass through thus slower shutter speed is required.
    Last edited by blurblock; 12th November 2004 at 10:36 AM.

Deregistered

Ehhhhh... depends on which Camp of lenses you're looking at.

If it's Nikon look here.

If it's Canon look here.

Sorry ah.. I hardcore brand purist, always go for original

thanks guys! gonna read when i m done with me exams...

espn : (yeah, i know u r a brand purist! hahaha, can see from ur BUY BUY BUY!)
    but, my question is, r those 3rd party lens like tokina, tamron, sigma any good? cos i read in some threads that the quality can rival the originals, am really not too sure abt this pt.

For Canon, I go here.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

See how addictive CS is? Exam also must come surf! surf! surf!

The trick is you need to know their products in and out. Too many brands, so I only stick to originals. In this case, if anything happened, either to camera bodies or lens, I can go to Canon direct. They can't push responsibilities.

Originals lenses are more expensive, but the resale value is definitely much higher than the 3rd party lenses.

but, my question is, r those 3rd party lens like tokina, tamron, sigma any good? cos i read in some threads that the quality can rival the originals, am really not too sure abt this pt.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

I think the 3rd party lenses can be just as good, if not better then the "original" brand. However, a brand purist will beg to differ. Tokina in my view is very good, their 28-70 and their 20-35 are one of the better lenses in the market. Their price is very much lower too, as compared to similar quality items from the original brand.

Prof espn sayth "man buy brand lens, lens last longer, man buy nobrand lens, man answer ownself if lens breaks off and falls on floor and cracks and make man cry"

Deregistered

I won't say they can rival, but they offer cheaper/affordable solutions.

My concern is the sales support, before/after, how convenient is it for me to find the place, send in for servicing. IYAM, I can't/unable to tell you where the 3rd party service centres are. However, for Canon/Nikon, I can tell you off the back my palm anytime.

Also my major nits are the design, material, quality of the equipment. Sykestang had a very bad experience with 3rd party lenses. You can sound him out. Personally, I would only go for original, I don't have much faith in 3rd party products, be it, flash, lenses etc.

Some here will agree with me

indeed clubsnap is damn addictive... i have a paper in 2hrs and i am still surfing here!!! :S
    anyway, i will read up next week and ask u guys again, cos of late sometimes when i sleep i can hear the DSLR calling me.....dunno issit dreaming or wat, heh heh

thanks so very much

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I won't say they can rival, but they offer cheaper/affordable solutions.

My concern is the sales support, before/after, how convenient is it for me to find the place, send in for servicing. IYAM, I can't/unable to tell you where the 3rd party service centres are. However, for Canon/Nikon, I can tell you off the back my palm anytime.

Also my major nits are the design, material, quality of the equipment. Sykestang had a very bad experience with 3rd party lenses. You can sound him out. Personally, I would only go for original, I don't have much faith in 3rd party products, be it, flash, lenses etc.

Some here will agree with me
    The fact you can't tell were the 3rd party service centres are, does not mean they do not have any service centres in Singapore.

I don't understand what do you mean by design, material and quality of equipment, had you tried a tokina with a Nikon lens?

BTW, 1 bad experience does not mean you will have to kill all 3rd party lenses in one swop. I understand you would only go for original, but not everyone is as rich as you. I have faith in 3rd party products, from 1992 until today, none has failed me yet ..... in fact I am still having a 1992 lens ...... come to think of it, I have some 1980's lenses ......

I do have to agree with you some will agree with you ... but I am also inclinded to say ..... Most will not agree with you.
    Last edited by blurblock; 12th November 2004 at 11:42 AM.