Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often/where/what do you guys shoot?

I bring my cam almost everywhere, even tho at work/or even just out for tau hui with buddies.

or even just to meet my gf.
    and she will ask me "you bring big bag for what"

LOLOL

No, I am not rich either. I keep my lens count at 3 max. I like the fact that oem lens keep it value well !
    | 5Diii | 24 ii | 40 | 24-70 ii | 24-105 | 70-200 F4 IS | 270 ii | 600EX-RT |

Default Re: How often/where/what do you guys shoot?

Off point but this line caught my attention:

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Shoot family.

Quote Originally Posted by phoeniix View Post
    Off point but this line caught my attention:

Need to 'shoot' then got family mah!

I shoot my kids when in Singapore, when travel landscapes. There are certainly many genres of photography some had mention, on top there are tilt shift, time lapse. Since using mirrorless cameras, i started using old manual lenses, some are a real steal for <$200. The fun of learning and experimenting just kept me going. Best of all u sell off at same price or even more, they generally hold the value better than modern AF lenses.

i try to shoot whenever i got the time but my work and school project is tying me real down..
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Here are a few suggestions for all of you. Please do not quote me or copy and paste them elsewhere without my permission.

1. Influence your spouse/steady, buddy, sibling, or close relative to pick up photography so that you have a companion to keep you going, as well as give you fresh ideas and share equiptment/resources. You can ask them to join you for a photo shoot or join a group outing. If they dont have camera and dont intend to buy one, just lend them your spare camera. If it's your spouse or close ones, just give them a camera (preferrable with manual controls to learn). Teach them and show them nice photos you took and hint them that they may earn/save money from it (stock photos, blogging, shoot events, own passport photos, etc), while on the other hand photography helps them look into finner things in life (i.e. art appreciation). Photography can also help them to take better pictures during family gatherings and company events, and not to learn it the last minute or on the spot. Photography can also help them preserve memories of family and friends.

2. Dont stop; commit and target yourself to a schedule. Once a month you will go out and shoot local landscape, tourist hotspots, or streets. Once in a while you can also go to neighbouring countries or even Sentosa, Pulau Ubin and small islands in or near Singapore. Treat this as a form of relaxation and seeing the world, rather than purely photography. Put yourself to a challenge whereby you will just bring one lens only. This may give you a new perspective into photography. And dont be afraid to visit a same place to shoot; there are always new things going on even at the same place same spot. You can also check out Clubsnap various forums for ideas of where to shoot.

3. Dont be afraid of adverse weather. Start shooting the rain, especially people with umbrellas (and raincoat for eye-candy if you can spot one). Create a theme: Rain-rain-come-again; Mood-swing; Floods In Singapore; Darkened Skies. Or simply you can avoid the wet weather by shooting indoors. Look out for indoor events or festive celebrations in malls, visit the museums, or simply stay at home to shoot.

4. Anytime, anywhere; you have plenty of opportunities. Pick up your camera even at home and start shooting. Create some stock photos, shoot your figurines & ornaments, shoot your gadgets, shoot your pets, take random shots of your family, etc. You can even afford to buy fruits, vegetables, candles, etc to shoot. Got spiders, ants and lizards at home? They can be very kind to let you practise macro shots, and so are the cats below your block.

5. Finally, what are your interests and motivation? You can treat photography like an art, a form of relaxation, a money-spinning skill set, a social tool, a memory preservation tool, etc. Explore into other genre like infrared, black & white, time-lapsed, or macro if you haven't. These can be endless, but is just how much you want your heart to go into it.
    Last edited by sin77; 4th December 2011 at 02:52 PM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Baka only takes photos of xmm ._. Fail D:

you will shoot local landscape, tourist hotspots, or streets. Once in a while you can also go to neighbouring countries or even Sentosa, Pulau Tekong and small islands in or near Singapore
    Probably you know how. May I know how can we go to Pulau Tekong to shoot landscape?

Explore into other genre like infrared, black & white, TFCD, time-lapsed, or macro if you haven't.
    can you elaborate how is TFCD is the other genre...?
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    Here are a few suggestions for all of you. Please do not quote me or copy and paste them elsewhere without my permission.

2. Dont stop, commit and target yourself to a schedule. Once a month you will shoot local landscape, tourist hotspots, or streets. Once in a while you can also go to neighbouring countries or even Sentosa, Pulau Tekong and small islands in or near Singapore. Treat this as a form of relaxation and seeing the world, rather than purely photography. Put yourself to a challenge whereby you will just bring one lens only. This may give you a new perspective into photography. And dont be afraid to visit a same place to shoot; there are always new things going on even at the same place same spot. You can also check out Clubsnap various forums for ideas of where to shoot.
    I think I will be shot if I shoot at Tekong. Ubin you mean

Agree with pt 2. I read magazines, watch some videos on photography and they give me some ideas on mini projects I can work on which I can learn/ try out new things. E.g. I was never in food photography but now my friends gave me this inspiration to start a mini self project "Food from A to Z" and slowly try to learn to shoot food.

The genres of photography is so vast and so many things for me to learn and try. That's what keeps my interest going I guess.
    You can shoot at home, say thinking of how to portray a simple item in an interesting and abstract way, say a fork?

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Probably you know how. May I know how can we go to Pulau Tekong to shoot landscape?

can you elaborate how is TFCD is the other genre...?
    Thanks for pointing out.

I have amended to Pulau Ubin.

Also removed TFCD since there's s bit of ambiguity. In any case, I mean modelling shoots (indoor or outdoor).
    Last edited by sin77; 4th December 2011 at 02:48 PM.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

As someone mentioned, photo magazines are a good source of inspiration. They have topical articles which you can always go try out. It's good to keep exploring other genres as it will also improve your skills.

I started off in photography doing events and concert photography which I later turned into a part-time job. Then I dabbled into a bit of studio. After I graduated, I became a lot less active but found time to try out stuff like tilt-shift photography, astro, ICM ( Intentional Camera Movement) etc. These day, I am really interested in Macro photography. Yet to get a proper macro lenses though.

Thanks guys! That's really awesome inputs there! I hope to get started once again when my exams end!

yes.. to keep this hobby alive... I need to have a group of active friends nagging me to go for shoots...
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

Its good to have 'kakis' to shoot together

I always shoot alone, not much issue.

eh. for newbie, when u shoot with friends and your friend gives you a tip to make your shot better, you try it and go OOOH!
    for old birds, when u shoot with newbie friends and you give them a tip to make their shot better, they try it and go meh.
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

I shoot both alone and in groups. Both ways got its own advantages.

Just a question, do you guys carry few lens with camera in a camera bag when just go out randomly shoot or friend gathering? I always do that and i find it very bulky and 'chou teng'

but if just carry 1 cam with lens, how you all carry? buy another smaller bag or just sling it and walk around??
    I thought of just slinging and walking about, but it seems 'loud' to do that but at the same time i saved money buying another smaller bag

I bought another bag that just fit for 1 camera and 1 short lens(kit I or kit II).
    Bought it at $35.

Easy to carry and simple when travel overseas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast