Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long exposure during sunrise

Default Re: Long exposure during sunrise

I have tried, and it does works, but its definitely not 30mins exposure, and definitely not just the 10-Stop ND by itself.

It's no longer accurate to calculate this way when light changes rapidly at sunrise.

Like many have suggested, go out and shoot, try it, and you will understand better.
    Learning process is the same for everyone.

okay thanks will try this weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by takafan View Post
    I have tried, and it does works, but its definitely not 30mins exposure, and definitely not just the 10-Stop ND by itself.

It's no longer accurate to calculate this way when light changes rapidly at sunrise.

Like many have suggested, go out and shoot, try it, and you will understand better.
    Learning process is the same for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by alancwr View Post
    I wonder if anybody have tried this before

Using a 10 stop during sunrise can cause exposure as long as 30mins

I wonder if anybody have tried this before??
    Can the battery actually last this long??
    Of course you can do it, people have done star trails with longer exposure timings.

My question is, are you able to cope with the changing light levels as the sun rises, to get the optimal exposure?

Even in the short span of 2 minutes, the exposure timing can be reduced drastically, how sure are you that you will get the right exposure, and not waste 30 minutes of your life and a possibly brilliant sunrise? This is the reason why I don't advocate doing such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by qystan View Post
    You do know what a magnifying glass does to matchsticks. Now, replace the match with your sensor.

30min should be about right.
    If the exposure timing is right (using the appropriate tools to reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor), the amount of light on the sensor will not be sufficient to burn your sensor. It will probably not be any different from a fast exposure without use of ND?

Of course, if someone happily sets an exposure timing of 30 minutes facing the sun directly, that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

If the exposure timing is right (using the appropriate tools to reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor), the amount of light on the sensor will not be sufficient to burn your sensor. It will probably not be any different from a fast exposure without use of ND?

Of course, if someone happily sets an exposure timing of 30 minutes facing the sun directly, that's another story.
    Of course.

Sun photography, yes - it's another animal, uses filters that is a thin metal film to provide sufficient reduction, not glass.

Yes, it is sunrise, low in the horizon where the atmospheric layer is thicker. The dangers are still there.

Just so he's aware and take precautions, like looking through the viewfinder. Damaged retina is not a fun matter.

Always remember that the caution not to look directly at the sun is not for fun. With a lens, the effect is far higher.

when you frame the sun in your picture, the exposure can't be too long, else the sun will not be round shape, it will become a sun trail, is this what TS looking for??

if you want to have long exposure of sunrise, the possible way is when the sun covered by clouds or not frame in the photo.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If the sun is not going to be in the picture, why don't you try working backwards? Sunrise is usually 6:50am in Singapore, so start your exposure at 6:20am then. Maybe also do a trial exposure at 6:20 and then at 6:50 just to see how many stop difference in exposure at this 2 timing for reference.

a bit tough... as the others said it, sunrise happens too quickly... i just done my first sunrise shoot during my Taiwan trip recently (I am the sort that I cannot wake up for sunrise shots ) and I try to use ND filter but it is of not much help... so in the end... i gave up and shoot in normal mode I usually shoot.

but for sunset, its a different story totally (in my case at least), u can still do a few mins of LE shot.

I will try post some samples I done previously tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    a bit tough... as the others said it, sunrise happens too quickly... i just done my first sunrise shoot during my Taiwan trip recently (I am the sort that I cannot wake up for sunrise shots ) and I try to use ND filter but it is of not much help... so in the end... i gave up and shoot in normal mode I usually shoot.

but for sunset, its a different story totally (in my case at least), u can still do a few mins of LE shot.

I will try post some samples I done previously tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    If the sun is not going to be in the picture, why don't you try working backwards? Sunrise is usually 6:50am in Singapore, so start your exposure at 6:20am then. Maybe also do a trial exposure at 6:20 and then at 6:50 just to see how many stop difference in exposure at this 2 timing for reference.
    okay noted, thanks very much for the opinions,
    i tink i'll probably go down n try it out once of these days, but i figured a 10 stop might be too strong, think i'll try a 1.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12