Thread: Where do you learn your Post Processing Skills?

Default Where do you learn your Post Processing Skills?

Hello everyone, I am a total newbie in Post Processing. I tried using LightRoom 3.5 and Photoshop CS4 yesterday to play with some of my photos and I might say that I am really bad at it.

I am wondering where do you guys learn your Post Processing Skills? Self-taught? Or learn through books, videos, or someone to guide you along. Please share
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Where do you learn your Post Processing Skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Hello everyone, I am a total newbie in Post Processing. I tried using LightRoom 3.5 and Photoshop CS4 yesterday to play with some of my photos and I might say that I am really bad at it.

I am wondering where do you guys learn your Post Processing Skills? Self-taught? Or learn through books, videos, or someone to guide you along. Please share
    self taught/forums. it involved a lot of knocking around, but u learn much faster than any structured lessons.

www.animerender.com

once u learn how to use each tool, move on to knowing how to use them together, how to combine and mix them for various effects.
    i started off as a GFX artist, so i picked up many tricks along the way.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 27th November 2011 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    self taught/forums. it involved a lot of knocking around, but u learn much faster than any structured lessons.

www.animerender.com

once u learn how to use each tool, move on to knowing how to use them together, how to combine and mix them for various effects.
    i started off as a GFX artist, so i picked up many tricks along the way.
    Hmm I see. Thanks for sharing. Photoshop seems harder than my studies.

Blog Entries

Hmm I see. Thanks for sharing. Photoshop seems harder than my studies.
    pretty easy la... just a year of non-stop practice will be enough. at least it worked for me

I think, if you were to learn how to do everything, it'd be too overwhelming. Photoshop is a very powerful tool and has lots of uses. Personally, I just google "[something] photoshop tutorial" (e.g. "Remove red eye photoshop tutorial", or "HDR photoshop tutorial") whenever I need it. That way, you pick up what you need, rather than going through every single possible use for photoshop.

I found this book very useful, though I never remembered all of it. Of course there were many other sources, but they basically rehashed what was mentioned in the book, just that I never managed to pay enough attention when reading it.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers

You can pick it up at the National Library FOC, most versions of Photoshop are quite similar so even if you have CS5, the book for CS4 will be useful. Cheers.

Hi, just bump into post processing skills these days and found a very comprehensive book in National Library.
    The book title is "The Photoshop Darkroom" (author: Harold Davis, Phyllis Davis) and it teaches a few handy methods.
    Enjoy your learning.

self taught at work started with photoshop 7 doing enhancement of 3d CADD rendering works up until cs5.. started post processing photos the way i do with 3d graphics which i later found out that the process involved at not similar..

Thanks guys! Really useful tips and sharing!

I started by trying to read a book from cover to cover but soon gave up. Google "youtube" whenever you want to get a specific effect done and work it through your own photo. Best way to go.

self study... i prefer using lightroom 3.. easier for newbies...

Hahaha is there a way to sharpen the photos from PP?

Hahaha is there a way to sharpen the photos from PP?
    I think if ur photo originally is not sharp, no matter how u sharpen the photos in PP, it wont.
    It might help to an extent. but still, it wont become as sharp as u want it to be.

bottom line, i think better shoot ur photo properly instead of hoping PP to sharpen the photo.

well... I might be wrong coz i nvr use PP. I am just using Lightroom 3 which I find it easier for noobs like me.

If it's just a slight blur, you can. If you're using Canon, I know Canon DPP does it pretty well (if you shoot in RAW first). Photoshop can help to a small extent too.

But the basis when you sharpen is that you're "creating" more detail than the sensor captured, and that is quite impossible. Algorithms can only estimate so much. (it's like a taylor series, if you take maths, for nearby estimations, it's pretty good, but the further you go, the worse it becomes.)

I read this awhile ago...
    probably u all might find useful

17 Tips for Taking Tack Sharp Photos

Scott Kelby has written some pretty good books on photoshop and lightroom.
    Just borrow them from the library or buy them.
    There's this particular book written by him for the older CS3 version which is still worth a read if you're starting out. It's concise and not too thick.
    Here's the amazon link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Kelbys-7.../dp/0321501926

Happy learning!
    Last edited by Elessar; 29th November 2011 at 05:15 PM.