Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polarizing filter

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by actionman
    hmmm but for that kind of price i can get myself a decent tripod...
    anyway these few days the sky has been so casty, so i guess a circular polarizer won't be of much use anyway?
    A tripod can't do what a polarizer can. I can't talk you out of thinking this way, sure $200+ can get you a 1GB Lexar or 2GB Lexar or whatever, sometimes, it cannot be compared this way.

Having said that, I've already done my part in helping the thread starter answer his/her question. I'll just let you go think about it

Funny.... I had a Hoya one... and it does work as it is supposed to (I had been using it since years ago).... Erm.... You mean there are different versions??!?!?

Darn... does that mean I got to buy a step-up ring for my 62mm lens so that they all can share the 67mm filter? Hmmm...... wonder if there is a 62 step up to 67mm ring.... hmmm....

Hi All,

Thanks for all the inputs for my questions Will save some money to buy one for sure. By the way, does it also work well if i'm shooting in slides?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GENO
    just get the HOYA PRO 1 ....dam good...not too ex too!

How much is the HOYA Pro1 CP 67mmm? Wanna get one of those for my 16-45DA lens

Thanks.

Btw, buy the biggest filters's diameter thread size of all your lenses and buy step-up ring to fit them.. hehe [/QUOTE]

Another reason for doing it this way is because if you only buy the same size as the lens, inevitably you will get vignetting at the edge of the frame where you get a darkening in each corner, especially with wide lenses. The solution seems to be to have a much larger polariser with a step down ring and this way the entire frame is polarised evenly

By the way, does it also work well if i'm shooting in slides?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

It works particularly well with transparencies

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie G
    By the way, does it also work well if i'm shooting in slides?

Cheers

It works particularly well with transparencies[/QUOTE]

Hi Laurie,

Are you saying that if I'm using the 12-24mm Nikkor with a 77mm thread, I will need a 82mm one for it to prevent any possible vignetting from spoiling the photo?

As far as I know the 77mm sets me back at a high price already, cant imagine how much the 82mm would cost!

Quote Originally Posted by Gosu_John
    Hi Laurie,

Are you saying that if I'm using the 12-24mm Nikkor with a 77mm thread, I will need a 82mm one for it to prevent any possible vignetting from spoiling the photo?

As far as I know the 77mm sets me back at a high price already, cant imagine how much the 82mm would cost!
    The slim 77mm filters from Nikon or B+W will work fine with 12-24DX. The same cannot be said for the Sigma lens which cannot properly mount a front filter.

Deregistered

There is the older Nikon polarizer that's a 77-82mm size. sykestang still has one I believe. The new one CPL II doesn't step up to 82 anymore because it's slim.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    The slim 77mm filters from Nikon or B+W will work fine with 12-24DX. The same cannot be said for the Sigma lens which cannot properly mount a front filter.
    Wow. How much do these slim 77mm from B+W or Nikon cost?

Hi Laurie,

As far as I know the 77mm sets me back at a high price already, cant imagine how much the 82mm would cost! [/QUOTE]

Well there is only one way to find out, and that is to try both alternatives - but I would say - yes.
    I have a 20mm nikon prime and I use a 4x4 Lee polariser which fits into the Lee filter holder. I have the appropriate attachment ring for all my lenses so I can attach the polariser in about a second .
    A lot of my work is aerial orientated, much of it over water and the ploariser is invaluable.
    Remember, you only have to sell ONE photograph commercially to pay for a lot of gear sometimes.

CP and LP, which one is better for DSLR? I read from the web that LP has more effect than CP on a digital cam, is it true?

BTW, I got a used HOYA 67mm LP from TCW for $15 Will try it out tmw.

Cheers!

Hi Laurie,

The nikon CPL-II(which is slim) works well without vignetting on the 12-24. But you have to remove the UV filter first.

Which filter 'brands' are best to use?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12