Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polarizing filter

Default Polarizing filter

Hi,

I am considering of getting myself a polarizing filter. Anyone can recommend which type and brand plus the retail price. Thanks !!

Well, B+W is good but the price is expensive as usual.. Costs close to $180 for 77mm.. For the you-get-what-you-paid-for statements, I can't be the judge for it..

I am using Tokina's CL-polarizer 77mm. It is good, i m satisfied with it. You can take a look at the picture I took in Malaysia under Landscape in my gallery.

Btw, buy the biggest filters's diameter thread size of all your lenses and buy step-up ring to fit them.. hehe
    Last edited by arikevin; 11th November 2004 at 10:34 PM.

Deregistered

1) Kasemann - $320++ ?
    2) Nikon CIR-PL II - $260++ (Slim type)
    3) B+W - $180

Above prices are for 77mm sized CPLs.

espn, I just bought the Cir-Pol II for $210 a few days ago. From the friendly you know who at lucky plaza.

Deregistered

Wooo, issit? I haven't been pushing for the CIR-PL IIs lately didn't know price dropped now there's no more reason not to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by arikevin
    Well, B+W is good but the price is expensive as usual.. Costs close to $180 for 77mm.. For the you-get-what-you-paid-for statements, I can't be the judge for it..

I am using Tokina's CL-polarizer 77mm. It is good, i m satisfied with it. You can take a look at the picture I took in Malaysia under Landscape in my gallery.

Btw, buy the biggest filters's diameter thread size of all your lenses and buy step-up ring to fit them.. hehe
    that's sound like a gd idea leh, are step up rings expensive? what's the trade off? how much is the tokina polarizer?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by actionman
    that's sound like a gd idea leh, are step up rings expensive? what's the trade off? how much is the tokina polarizer?
    They're not exactly expensive, but do take note that some lenses cannot be stepped up because the len hood will not be able to accept the ring sizes. Like a 50mm f/1.8 stepped up to a 77mm filter size will not allow the use of len hood.

If you're getting a CIR-PL, get a good one, at least within the 3 I listed, don't waste time on others that act more like a ND filter.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    They're not exactly expensive, but do take note that some lenses cannot be stepped up because the len hood will not be able to accept the ring sizes. Like a 50mm f/1.8 stepped up to a 77mm filter size will not allow the use of len hood.

If you're getting a CIR-PL, get a good one, at least within the 3 I listed, don't waste time on others that act more like a ND filter.
    haha but the above 3 polarizers cost more than the 50mm f/1.8 itself

Deregistered

Hehe... I won't push for things not worth pushing... if it's worth it, it's worth it, I've had my fair share of Hoya CPLs from 52 to 77mm, and finally ended up with a 77 Nikon CPL II.

Unfortunately, I do agree with espn. Those cheap Hoya ones are about $70 to $80 for a 77mm. But I find it close to useless. Like an expensive ND filter. You turn and turn, but there is no noticable difference. That was why I bought a Nikon Cir-Pol II in the end. Of course the ability to capture the picture you want is priceless. If you can get the picture without expensive gear, there is no need to spend that kind of money.

hmmm i'm beginning to see the reason now....but all my lens are so cheap haha all like cost below 150...actually only the f1.8 i bought myself, coz others are cheap free lens from promotions, guess good filter won't make much of a difference right?

Deregistered

hmmm i'm beginning to see the reason now....but all my lens are so cheap haha all like cost below 150...actually only the f1.8 i bought myself, coz others are cheap free lens from promotions, guess good filter won't make much of a difference right?
    Oh no.. I won't think that way if I'm you. A good filter does a lot more then just filtering out what it's supposed to filter. It's also aimed and targetted to protect your lenses.

, could not agree more with actionman.Hahaha, I believe we belong to "tight budget community". Wow, seriously, I have no idea that the filter cost that much. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Price got drop meh. I got mine for much less leh. In any case while waiting for a Cir Pol I checked all others and even the B & W kaseman but nothing beats the Nikon Cir Poll II. Don't hesitate if you are looking for a Pol buy the Nikon. Very good coating, very even, very slim, very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Wooo, issit? I haven't been pushing for the CIR-PL IIs lately didn't know price dropped now there's no more reason not to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by yumepoi
    , could not agree more with actionman.Hahaha, I believe we belong to "tight budget community". Wow, seriously, I have no idea that the filter cost that much. Thanks for all the advice guys.
    hi 5!
    but if can afford of course BUY BUY BUY lah

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by yumepoi
    I understand budget is a very big constraint, but think of it this way, you get it right once, you get it right forever, It's a better method than to buy/sell and keep upgrading. I think the CIR-PL II is a really very good buy. Consider. Have tried a lot, the only ones I can see that makes a difference in the viewfinder are the older Nikon CIR-PL (77mm-82mm, courtesy of sykestang), the B+W 77mm (courtesy of AJ), and the CIR-PLII.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Price got drop meh. I got mine for much less leh. In any case while waiting for a Cir Pol I checked all others and even the B & W kaseman but nothing beats the Nikon Cir Poll II. Don't hesitate if you are looking for a Pol buy the Nikon. Very good coating, very even, very slim, very high quality.
    Hehehe that time during D70 outing already told u to get it.

Yep, can't agree more with espn on this. For filters, get it right the first time, rather than you regret later and need to pay more.

Of course, you have to do some justice to the highly priced polariser by shooting more pics lah. Don't just buy buy buy and then store them in the dry box/cabinet.

I always use B+W and so far very satisfied with the results.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

just get the HOYA PRO 1 ....dam good...not too ex too!
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

hmmm but for that kind of price i can get myself a decent tripod...
    anyway these few days the sky has been so casty, so i guess a circular polarizer won't be of much use anyway?

how much is the nikon cir pol 2 for 58mm?
    web | blog | fb | ig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast