Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Which one to choose

  1. #1

    Default Which one to choose

    Hi bros,

    Im planning to get a prime lens for my D5100.
    Between Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, which 1 to choose?

    I guess a lot of ppl will start asking what's your shooting style..
    I would say to have 35 mm to cover most of the stuff..potrait, landscape etc..

    Advice is appreciated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Looks like you already have decided. And just to add on, personally I find 35 on crop is too tight for landscapes. Unless you really know how to compose your shot well. So don't get disappointed when you shoot landscapes with the 35.
    7D | 17-50 f2.8 | 30 f1.4 | 70-200L | flickr

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by 2pointEIGHT View Post
    Looks like you already have decided. And just to add on, personally I find 35 on crop is too tight for landscapes. Unless you really know how to compose your shot well. So don't get disappointed when you shoot landscapes with the 35.
    Thanks for the advice..I read post on some other forums...
    some ppl comment that the difference between 35 and 50 is not much...And 50mm f/1.8G give a much better bokeh effect...
    arhhhh..soo...i have yet to make my final decision..

  4. #4
    Member XavierShoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore, Aussie
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Thanks for the advice..I read post on some other forums...
    some ppl comment that the difference between 35 and 50 is not much...And 50mm f/1.8G give a much better bokeh effect...
    arhhhh..soo...i have yet to make my final decision..
    although i am not using a nikon, i have a canon 35mm and a 50mm. i sold the 50mm in the end, cause the 35mm suits my need to take food on the table =D
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    you can check out the zoom and its effects here
    just slide the bar to 35 and 50 to see.

    personally, I will bring a uwa zoom lens and a 18-55 lens range for landscape
    using a prime lens to shoot landscape is possible but quite restrictive, and at 35 or 50, it will be really tight.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  6. #6
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Hi bros,

    Im planning to get a prime lens for my D5100.
    Between Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, which 1 to choose?

    I guess a lot of ppl will start asking what's your shooting style..
    I would say to have 35 mm to cover most of the stuff..potrait, landscape etc..

    Advice is appreciated!

    Thanks!
    It is not about which one you should choose... but rather, which one do you need...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    you can check out the zoom and its effects here
    just slide the bar to 35 and 50 to see.

    personally, I will bring a uwa zoom lens and a 18-55 lens range for landscape
    using a prime lens to shoot landscape is possible but quite restrictive, and at 35 or 50, it will be really tight.
    THat's a very useful link..Thanks heaps!

  8. #8
    Senior Member bonrya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a mobile cage
    Posts
    2,633

    Default

    Both are not expensive, if you'll get to use them.. Get both. I know I will.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

  9. #9
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Hi bros,

    Im planning to get a prime lens for my D5100.
    Between Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, which 1 to choose?

    I guess a lot of ppl will start asking what's your shooting style..
    I would say to have 35 mm to cover most of the stuff..potrait, landscape etc..

    Advice is appreciated!

    Thanks!
    My suggestion (since both are not too expensive) is to get both.

    For all you know, you might like both perspectives. If you don't like one, you can sell it, won't lose too much. If you don't like both, you can also sell them. Assuming that you like one out of the 2 is merely an assumption.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Hi bros,

    Im planning to get a prime lens for my D5100.
    Between Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, which 1 to choose?

    I guess a lot of ppl will start asking what's your shooting style..
    I would say to have 35 mm to cover most of the stuff..potrait, landscape etc..

    Advice is appreciated!

    Thanks!
    for portraits, and maybe streets as well
    both the 35/1.8g and 50/1.8g should be great.... if you know "how" to use it....
    both are fast lens with thinner dof than the regular kit lens

    the choice between these 2 lenses, will probably be on your preferred shooting distance from your subject and the how thin the depth of field it can achieve.
    simply put it, your style....
    and you might like to have both...

    as suggested, get both and sell later if you find it unsuitable but I would like to add, if you don't mind, buy 2nd hand from sources like the buy and sell subforum here. You will lose much less money in the process.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Thanks everyone with the advice..appreciated..
    I will get both but not at the same time..(budget budget...)@@
    Probably I will try 35mm first..it's slightly cheaper..

    Thanks all again!

  12. #12
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Which one to choose

    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster33 View Post
    Thanks everyone with the advice..appreciated..
    I will get both but not at the same time..(budget budget...)@@
    Probably I will try 35mm first..it's slightly cheaper..

    Thanks all again!
    haha...!
    buying a lens because price falls within your budget is a bad idea
    But anyway both are quite popular lenses, so even if you dislike either (or both), can sell away. Treat the loss as a 'rental fee'
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •