Thread: Focusing in Viewfinder on Canon 60D

Lightbulb Focusing in Viewfinder on Canon 60D

Hi all,

I just bought a Canon 60D, and found this little question.

When using the Live View LCD screen, you can digitally zoom-in on the center of the picture to help with focusing. The viewfinder can't do that.

So, is there a way to shoot using the viewfinder and get perfect focus? So far what I've been doing is to take 4-5 shots, then pick the best one.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    James

Default Re: Focusing in Viewfinder on Canon 60D

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryEx View Post
    Hi all,

When using the Live View LCD screen, you can digitally zoom-in on the center of the picture to help with focusing. The viewfinder can't do that.

So, is there a way to shoot using the viewfinder and get perfect focus? So far what I've been doing is to take 4-5 shots, then pick the best one.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    James
    what's wrong with your autofocus?

Hi all,

Any advice?

Thanks!
    James
    Either use autofocus, or look for your focus confirmation light.
    Alpha

So I'll have no choice but to trust the autofocus then...

What I'm afraid of is if I'm taking a photo with lots of background details (for example of a shop at the opposite side of a mall, with railings, glass panels, display mannequins, store signs, all near each other but at different depth), I won't know if what I want (say, the store sign) is in focus until after I take the photo and zoom in when reviewing it.

Thanks for the advice!
    James

So I'll have no choice but to trust the autofocus then...

What I'm afraid of is if I'm taking a photo with lots of background details (for example of a shop at the opposite side of a mall, with railings, glass panels, display mannequins, store signs, all near each other but at different depth), I won't know if what I want (say, the store sign) is in focus until after I take the photo and zoom in when reviewing it.

Thanks for the advice!
    James
    Just shoot again if not in focus. you aren't shooting film anyway, can always do it again.

Alright, so that's 1 mystery solved!

Thanks a lot guys!
    James