Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    Go out shoot rain lor
    Tried once... not very good result though.

I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Tried once... not very good result though.
    This one was my attempt...but like you said, effect not very good...unlike the pro rain photographer...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

haha, its gonna be over soon, no worry =)
    Lousy de My Flickr

Blog Entries

haha this is mine, (taken sometime ago in the bus) haha..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Hello guys.... I went to a nearby flat (the highest flat around my area at 20 storey high) to atempt a night shot. Brought my tripod with me, the free steinzeiser tripod, but realised the tripod is too short cant even shoot out of the pavement.
    Hence I took the cloth i brought along and place it on the pavement cement wall railing. Placing my nex5n on the cloth and using my left hand to apply force on my camera (on the top) downwards while right hands pressing the shutter and using 3 last fingers of my right hand to put under my camera base which was protruding (as the pavement wall is shaped like this /''\[]<--- box is my camera. Tried many times and is fail... very blur... applied breathing techniques but still failed...

This is the best failed picture.....
    Details: kit lens 18-55mm
    ISO 200
    Exposure time 30 secs
    Focal length 29mm
    Max aperture 4
    No flash
    No tripod

I wasnt statisfied and i try and try and try.... until

OMG! IM SO HAPPY!

Details: Kit lens 18-55mm
    ISO - 100
    Exposure time - 30 secs
    Focal length - 19mm
    Max apreture 3.6171875
    No flash
    No tripod

IM SO HAPPY! special thanks to guys who guide me along here especially rhino bro my first night shoot

get a gorillapod, damn useful.

my 7D secured on a railing:

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    get a gorillapod, damn useful.

my 7D secured on a railing:
    Hi Tecnica bro how much is one?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Hi Tecnica bro how much is one?
    i got it off HK for around SGD70. as i still have money left, i just hoot one on the last day before heading to airport.

Singapore i think retails around $60+? i'm not very sure. anyway, tripod head not included. that's my Sirui K10-x, just so you know.

end photo, for reference:
    Last edited by tecnica; 29th November 2011 at 10:09 PM.

i got it off HK for around SGD70. as i still have money left, i just hoot one on the last day before heading to airport.

Singapore i think retails around $60+? i'm not very sure. anyway, tripod head not included. that's my Sirui K10-x, just so you know.

end photo, for reference:
    wah.... got support got difference... nice! I must improve! Thanks!

wah.... got support got difference... nice! I must improve! Thanks!
    i must highlight to you that a lil' wind is okay but not too big a gust. it'll still be secured but still will shiver a bit.

btw, do consider DIY a bean bag for stabilizing without tripod
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Hello guys.... I went to a nearby flat (the highest flat around my area at 20 storey high) to atempt a night shot. Brought my tripod with me, the free steinzeiser tripod, but realised the tripod is too short cant even shoot out of the pavement.
    Hence I took the cloth i brought along and place it on the pavement cement wall railing. Placing my nex5n on the cloth and using my left hand to apply force on my camera (on the top) downwards while right hands pressing the shutter and using 3 last fingers of my right hand to put under my camera base which was protruding (as the pavement wall is shaped like this /''\[]<--- box is my camera. Tried many times and is fail... very blur... applied breathing techniques but still failed...

hmm.. Like you mentioned..its hard for you to support your camera..yet you are trying to do a 30 sec shot. Hmm.. I wont do it..

sometimes dun need a 30s exposure..this is taken with 3s..and iso push up to 800..

same as you..this is taken with cam on the wall and hand pressed down to hold it steady

i must highlight to you that a lil' wind is okay but not too big a gust. it'll still be secured but still will shiver a bit.
    Ok noted. thanks for advice

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    btw, do consider DIY a bean bag for stabilizing without tripod
    Wow... That's an idea... You mean those normal bean bags which we play when we are kids?

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    hmm.. Like you mentioned..its hard for you to support your camera..yet you are trying to do a 30 sec shot. Hmm.. I wont do it..
    Haha.... Ya. I just wana try how it's like and what's the best would be like in 30s without support. It's my first night shoot and first shoot on 30s. Now I know what I can expect from it. Tempting to find a new tripod. But as I'm still learning I guess it's better to cope with my limitations and use more of my brain and imagination rather than money to solve or at least improve the limitations. You guys are a great help to me. Ty
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 30th November 2011 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamakasi View Post
    sometimes dun need a 30s exposure..this is taken with 3s..and iso push up to 800..

same as you..this is taken with cam on the wall and hand pressed down to hold it steady

Nice picture. Now that's another way wanna try what u suggested soon

Nice picture. Now that's another way wanna try what u suggested soon
    Hahaha you can play around with your camera settings, experience different settings that brings out different effects and exposures. Then you will get the best out of it.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

For shoots that required more than 1/(focal length) of a second (eg. if focal length is 55mm, if shutter speed is more than 1/55 sec), I would highly recommend using a tripod or monopod. Your pic might seemed very sharp in small print, but at 100% crop, there are some motion blur. If a shot is to be exposed for 1 or more than 1 sec... I think you really really need a tripod (even monopod can be unstable). Anyway, it is also up to holding and breathing technique too.

Some people can hold very very still and with no movement at all for more than 1 sec (not me though ).

Anyway, you don't really need the branded gorillapod, just get one of those clone one... I think you can find these third party one readily in the net, they are going cheaply too... and quite stable too.

I heard good thing about one particular brand - Octopus, I think (got to look it up again)...

Anyway, I don't have any of these tripod, have been wanting to buy one... but as it is... I am a cheapskate (lol).

If you are using a tripod, be sure that the tripod is stable enough... especially when taking long exposure photos. Most tripod should come with a hook under the centre column, make use of that hook, hang your bag there... be sure also that the bag be touch the ground too, or instead of adding to the stability, it add to the instability of the tripod.
    My lousy shots

Wow... That's an idea... You mean those normal bean bags which we play when we are kids?
    Bean bag or sand bag are normally used by quite a number of photographers for stabilised shots. Well you can do it easily. Use your old army socks or any socks that you don't want anymore, and fill it with rice, sand, beans or whatever you can find. Then tied the open end... there you have yourself a good sandbag. After the shoot, you can pour the content away.

Other than resting your camera or your hand on a sandbag, a couple of them could also provide extra stability to your light stand or tripod... it is really one of the cheapest and easiest to make stuff.
    My lousy shots

Yes..IMO as long you are doing a second or longer exposure shot. Its really advisable to get a steady tripod. Anything faster than that..i guess the IS/VC/VR etc etc still works pretty well and is very helpful..at least for me.

Heh...which also explains why i dont really shoot long exposure shot because im not a tripod person. Hate to travel around with a tripod.. but hey thats just me..

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Bean bag or sand bag are normally used by quite a number of photographers for stabilised shots. Well you can do it easily. Use your old army socks or any socks that you don't want anymore, and fill it with rice, sand, beans or whatever you can find. Then tied the open end... there you have yourself a good sandbag. After the shoot, you can pour the content away.

Other than resting your camera or your hand on a sandbag, a couple of them could also provide extra stability to your light stand or tripod... it is really one of the cheapest and easiest to make stuff.
    yupe.. TS should consider getting/making a bean bag.. its really useful. If you're a guy and serve army before..you will know its so much easier and comfortable to shoot with the aid of sand bags right.. (i assume you're a guy and have fired the rifle in range before) If not..try it..get 1. Its really useful.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast