Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 535

Thread: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

  1. #41

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Look at a m4/3 camera too if you want a small package (ie. still small with camera and lenses)

    Panasonic G series is pretty good for the price.
    GX1 preview here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...ic-gx-1-a.html
    G3 review here : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...er-review.html

    There is also the Olympus m4/3 cameras.

    m4/3 cameras already have a good selection of different focal length lenses to meet your needs. (pretty small too)

    There is no real bad camera nowadays. Other options are also ok, just make sure the other mirrorless options you are considering has the lenses you need and interface you are comfortable with.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    I went to mscolor to get e-quote 2 days ago but still no reply :P
    equote from ms color is a bit unreliable. Best is to call them up, or talk to them in person. Talk to florence or any of the staff there, tell them the alpha dslr bros recommended you go there, they'll give you good lobang.
    Alpha

  3. #43

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Look at a m4/3 camera too if you want a small package (ie. still small with camera and lenses)

    Panasonic G series is pretty good for the price.
    GX1 preview here :
    G3 review here :

    There is also the Olympus m4/3 cameras.

    m4/3 cameras already have a good selection of different focal length lenses to meet your needs. (pretty small too)

    There is no real bad camera nowadays. Other options are also ok, just make sure the other mirrorless options you are considering has the lenses you need and interface you are comfortable with.
    Hi there. I kinda don't like how the Panasonic gf series feels... I'm now looking at the Olympus epl3. But to be honest my heart lean more towards the Sony nex5n :P hehe

  4. #44

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    equote from ms color is a bit unreliable. Best is to call them up, or talk to them in person. Talk to florence or any of the staff there, tell them the alpha dslr bros recommended you go there, they'll give you good lobang.
    I called to some shops and mscolor quoted me the worst offer. Only white offer is good as they throw in additional free batt (duno if 3rd party or original). A lady spoke to me thou. Maybe i will try to call them after work and follow ur suggestion see if they got make me a better offer or not

  5. #45
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Hi there. I kinda don't like how the Panasonic gf series feels... I'm now looking at the Olympus epl3. But to be honest my heart lean more towards the Sony nex5n :P hehe
    One good method is to go down to Harvey Norman, Challenger or Courts and ask the sales rep to take out the two camera - Olympus E-PL3 and NEX-5N for you to play with.

    Don't listen to what the sales rep had to say though, and just concentrate on playing the two cam. Test out the ergonomic of the camera, see if you like the user interface and stuff like... When satisfied, walk out of the megastore and go to a reputable shop to get the cam you want.

    I believe most of the camera shops would let you play with the camera, but they would not allow you to hit the shutter... But megastores normally don't care about this and so you can test out the camera body fully when you are in the megastore.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #46
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    I called to some shops and mscolor quoted me the worst offer. Only white offer is good as they throw in additional free batt (duno if 3rd party or original). A lady spoke to me thou. Maybe i will try to call them after work and follow ur suggestion see if they got make me a better offer or not
    Maybe I can go down with you and play?
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  7. #47

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Hi there. I kinda don't like how the Panasonic gf series feels... I'm now looking at the Olympus epl3. But to be honest my heart lean more towards the Sony nex5n :P hehe
    Hi, I began this hobby about 3 months back, and was in the same position as you for a while as to the choice of camera, so I'm hoping a short recount of my considerations at that time will help.

    1. pick a camera that you like and enjoy the most, so that you'd want to keep going out to shoot with it (or for that matter, bring it with you everyday).

    2. buying into a ilc does require quite abit of research - especially regarding the lenses available. I liked the NEX5 for the larger sensor, but imo, m4/3s has better lenses. Nex has the Zeiss, which is pretty new, but from reviews, looks to be pretty awesome (although the price seems to be quite high). The rest of the nex lenses seem to be somewhat lacklustre imo. Whereas m4/3s has a range of lenses which seems to be panned for their performance/cost, such as the panasonic 20mm/1.7, oly zuiko 45mm, oly 12mm to name a few. Their kit zooms seem to be so so though.

    3. Interface wise would be pretty subjective, so like the others have said, best way to find out to go and try

  8. #48

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    I think both Nex and E-PL3 is great. Nex had a larger sensor compare to oly's m4/3, but Olympus had improved alot since E-P1 and E-PL1. I believe will be good.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    One good method is to go down to Harvey Norman, Challenger or Courts and ask the sales rep to take out the two camera - Olympus E-PL3 and NEX-5N for you to play with.

    Don't listen to what the sales rep had to say though, and just concentrate on playing the two cam. Test out the ergonomic of the camera, see if you like the user interface and stuff like... When satisfied, walk out of the megastore and go to a reputable shop to get the cam you want.

    I believe most of the camera shops would let you play with the camera, but they would not allow you to hit the shutter... But megastores normally don't care about this and so you can test out the camera body fully when you are in the megastore.
    To be honest i abit pai seh to like that try leh... lol...

    Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Maybe I can go down with you and play?
    sure hahahaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    Hi, I began this hobby about 3 months back, and was in the same position as you for a while as to the choice of camera, so I'm hoping a short recount of my considerations at that time will help.

    1. pick a camera that you like and enjoy the most, so that you'd want to keep going out to shoot with it (or for that matter, bring it with you everyday).

    2. buying into a ilc does require quite abit of research - especially regarding the lenses available. I liked the NEX5 for the larger sensor, but imo, m4/3s has better lenses. Nex has the Zeiss, which is pretty new, but from reviews, looks to be pretty awesome (although the price seems to be quite high). The rest of the nex lenses seem to be somewhat lacklustre imo. Whereas m4/3s has a range of lenses which seems to be panned for their performance/cost, such as the panasonic 20mm/1.7, oly zuiko 45mm, oly 12mm to name a few. Their kit zooms seem to be so so though.

    3. Interface wise would be pretty subjective, so like the others have said, best way to find out to go and try
    ya i agree with you. I wanna go try out nx200 and pen e-pl3 first before making the decision
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 24th November 2011 at 07:55 PM.

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek

    Hi there, good morning. Actually the main reason behind my interest on photography is because my life is dull... I don't seem to have a life at all... And my life is filled with negativities... Which all these I had little power over. I can't make my life colourful and could barely change it positive.. My perspective in this world is a negative one. I cant do anything with my life but I hope I can create life in pictures, add colours to my pictures. Ultimately through photography change me into a more positive person through discovering the beautiful and positive things I overlooked in my whole life.

    About future investing... It's not in my mind yet and won't be so soon. I will stick with the lens kit to train myself. Gonna start from the basics and learn how to crawl first. So I don't really wanna bother myself with future upgrades yet but I believe I would ultimately do in the far future
    Sounds like you need a GF more than a camera. Keke
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  11. #51
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Sounds like you need a GF more than a camera. Keke
    Haha maybe can find gf through photography...
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  12. #52

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Sounds like you need a GF more than a camera. Keke
    Im already attached Relationship is good, happy and everything, just another part of my life sucks.... my life dont just revolve around her so yea... need to have other stuff also ma... example career, healthy hobbies... more fufilling life... achievements... and the list goes on....
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 24th November 2011 at 08:29 PM.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Haha maybe can find gf through photography...
    Yea nowadays girls kinda into photography.. my sister also.. she interested in olympus pen series i think she knows photography more than me through the photography CCAs and club shes in. But having ego as her elder brother... i cant ask her man. makes me look small. hahahaha!

  14. #54
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Yea nowadays girls kinda into photography.. my sister also.. she interested in olympus pen series i think she knows photography more than me through the photography CCAs and club shes in. But having ego as her elder brother... i cant ask her man. makes me look small. hahahaha!
    Haha doesn't matter. Just ask her, who knows she will impart all she knows to you? Hahaha
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  15. #55
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Im already attached Relationship is good, happy and everything, just another part of my life sucks.... my life dont just revolve around her so yea... need to have other stuff also ma... example career, healthy hobbies... more fufilling life... achievements... and the list goes on....
    Hahaha I think your other stuffs simply referring to photography. hahaha
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  16. #56

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Hahaha I think your other stuffs simply referring to photography. hahaha
    i dont have much hobbies, only custom computer stuff and computer gaming which is very unhealthy, confines myself in 4 walls.... used to have soccer as a hobby but friends all now busy with work or studies. Cant get out enough. And to be honest as a person im more on the negative side. Need something beautiful

  17. #57
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    i dont have much hobbies, only custom computer stuff and computer gaming which is very unhealthy, confines myself in 4 walls.... used to have soccer as a hobby but friends all now busy with work or studies. Cant get out enough. And to be honest as a person im more on the negative side. Need something beautiful
    Hmm that sounds like the past me, used to spend hours on computer games which gives nothing. Haha wish I started photography younger. Hahaha a lot of good places to shoot in Singapore.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  18. #58

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Hmm that sounds like the past me, used to spend hours on computer games which gives nothing. Haha wish I started photography younger. Hahaha a lot of good places to shoot in Singapore.
    yea... sometimes i can stay at home until feel like dying.... Go out also like dont know do what... friends are all occupied with their stuffs... when they free im not free damn.... what camera you using now?

  19. #59
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    988

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    yea... sometimes i can stay at home until feel like dying.... Go out also like dont know do what... friends are all occupied with their stuffs... when they free im not free damn.... what camera you using now?
    Hahahain that case faster get one. Hehehe then can go shoot shoot everywhere. Hmm currently using canon 450D. Haha
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  20. #60
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

    Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Hahahain that case faster get one. Hehehe then can go shoot shoot everywhere. Hmm currently using canon 450D. Haha
    haha r u sure u see me b4?
    Lousy de My Flickr

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •