Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14192223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Default Re: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    Actually I've been wanting to get a macro lens also -.-! but now I'm choosing between UWA or a Macro lens -.-

sian ah! how I wish I can get both..

But since I'm going hk soon will get either 1 of them =)
    Get one in Singapore and get one in HK lor. Hahahahaha....

Anyway for me to choose, I find the macro lens more useful for my usage. I took macro shots now and then, and sometime an unfortunate creepy crawlie will make its way into my room... only to be caught and forced to pose while I shoot. Hahahahaha.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Wah so good... Btw is hk price much cheaper compared to Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Yes... cheaper by quite a significant amount.

However, I am not very sure about Sony's product, but for Canon, even if the lenses or body had international warranty, it will not be covered by Canon's service center... for Nikon, the body will not be covered by international warranty, while the lens will.

So, yeah, it depend on whether you find it worthwhile to get a cheaper sets but risk warranty issues.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Get one in Singapore and get one in HK lor. Hahahahaha....

Anyway for me to choose, I find the macro lens more useful for my usage. I took macro shots now and then, and sometime an unfortunate creepy crawlie will make its way into my room... only to be caught and forced to pose while I shoot. Hahahahaha.
    if can I dont mind sia but (cfo) hahaha so no choice. since I already got the t17-50 think I will just make use of that 1st bah, haha..

you using a macro lens also?

hmm yup it's cheaper but by how much not really sure
    Lousy de My Flickr

if can I dont mind sia but (cfo) hahaha so no choice. since I already got the t17-50 think I will just make use of that 1st bah, haha..

you using a macro lens also?
    Yep. I have a EF 100mm f2.8 (the non L lens). It is a pretty sharp lens and I like it alot... Use it for some of my flower shots... and creepy crawlie shots.

I even stack a 50mm lens on it for some extreme macro... but my skills sucks pretty much, so I only manage to take stationary subject for this techniques.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

I'm happy with my Sirui T1004X (knockoff Gitzo Explorer). Absolutely no complains for it's price against Gitzos.
    Knockoff explorer? I don't remember it having a variable arm

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange
    Actually I've been wanting to get a macro lens also -.-! but now I'm choosing between UWA or a Macro lens -.-

If you go HK, best is to get both. Don't end up paying more when you come back to buy

Bro, Mind telling me the price? and you use it with what ballhead?
    That time when I got it, it was about $160? from TK. I think the prices have gone up abit from then. Best to check out their website for the latest pricing.

I coupled T1004X with the G10 ballhead. But if you are going to consider this setup, best to upgrade the ballhead to K10 or K-whatever (even better if you can go get the Manfrotto 486RC2, cost $151 at DDE). Mainly due to the design of this ballhead. The big knob will be in the way of the portrait position in 1 direction.

Not sure If I can illustrate it well, the knob to tighten the baseplate will hit the knob securing the ball in portrait position IF the "baseplate tightener knob" is facing downwards..

I settled for a UWA and use my 55-250 for my "macro" needs. I realized that I didn't want to see spores of flowers or eyes of insects So the magnification that this lens gave me is quite nice.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    If you go HK, best is to get both. Don't end up paying more when you come back to buy
    I dont mind getting both, but someone does haha~! so what to do.. I think mostly will get the tamron 90mm. any idea rougly how much for grey set there? haha i checked price.com.hk Its $446 but not sure if it's hk local set or grey...
    Lousy de My Flickr

I dont mind getting both, but someone does haha~! so what to do.. I think mostly will get the tamron 90mm. any idea rougly how much for grey set there? haha i checked price.com.hk Its $446 but not sure if it's hk local set or grey...
    Price.com.hk is pretty accurate. For grey or local hk set just see whether it's 水 or 行 next to the pricing. 水 means grey and 行 means local set. Also note the date the price was uploaded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Price.com.hk is pretty accurate. For grey or local hk set just see whether it's 水 or 行 next to the pricing. 水 means grey and 行 means local set. Also note the date the price was uploaded.
    oh! now u mentioned! its grey set, so its around 44x for the tamron90mm.. thanks alot!!

not much of saving also lei haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

For grey set, artworkfoto is selling at S$530. I think HK still sell cheaper.
    My lousy shots

oh! now u mentioned! its grey set, so its around 44x for the tamron90mm.. thanks alot!!

not much of saving also lei haha
    Cash wise not a lot but percentage wise, that's about 20% off, so savings is still quite significant

Blog Entries

For grey set, artworkfoto is selling at S$530. I think HK still sell cheaper.

haha ya lo, around 80 different.. alamak go there then see how haha, still got time to think..

maybe will go ask around sg 1st see how much they sell haha
    Lousy de My Flickr

Aiyah, get from Singapore lah. Support our economic lah. Hahahaha...

anyway, it really depend on you. You see, if you test your lens properly in HK... you should get a more or less good piece of glass. Lenses don't break down that easily... unless you really sway. And when you test your lens properly, you should have filtered out most of the focus issues, so it should be pretty alright.

But for a peace of mind, can still get from local stores such as artworkfoto because they still provide in-house warranty and so you can still bring the lens back to them if got issues.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

Aiyah, get from Singapore lah. Support our economic lah. Hahahaha...

anyway, it really depend on you. You see, if you test your lens properly in HK... you should get a more or less good piece of glass. Lenses don't break down that easily... unless you really sway. And when you test your lens properly, you should have filtered out most of the focus issues, so it should be pretty alright.

But for a peace of mind, can still get from local stores such as artworkfoto because they still provide in-house warranty and so you can still bring the lens back to them if got issues.
    I think so too, alamak! si bei sian 1 sia this kind of thing..

heng still got time to think..
    Lousy de My Flickr

I think so too, alamak! si bei sian 1 sia this kind of thing..

heng still got time to think..

This is one fun thing... I am the same last time... pondering over and over again on whether to get grey set or local set for a lens that I really want... In the end, I bite the bullet and get a local set. Not that grey set is bad or what, just personal preference.
    My lousy shots

Blog Entries

This is one fun thing... I am the same last time... pondering over and over again on whether to get grey set or local set for a lens that I really want... In the end, I bite the bullet and get a local set. Not that grey set is bad or what, just personal preference.
    haha, Now it's my turn... just wait till i get there and compare the price haha.. if it's worth the saving anot =)..
    Lousy de My Flickr

Hk is definitely cheaper. I saved 300 over bucks for my 70-200L, 100 plus for 580ex2.

The local 2nd hand price for 580ex2 is even more then a bnib from hk.

Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Hi, thanks guys for replying. my budget is less than 1.4k. DSLR is out of the question, as i would like to bring my camera around with ease, lightweight would be nice.

Im also interested in interchangable lens system, compact system camera. As changable lens i believe would allow me for greater diversification for future needs/wants in my photographs.

My aim is to take pictures of random things in life, could be buildings, animals on the streets, zoos etc, people (family event or just random people), I would also like to bring my camera for vacation shots when im overseas for holiday on places... nature... interesting buildings. As for EVF i dont think i need it.... flash as long as it inculdes flash i dont mind external or built in flash. Features wise im not sure in detail what i want, but on the main picture i want good IQ and perferbably in low light situation.

I know interchanagble lens will still be big with various lens on, but still i perfer a lighter, slimer and smaller body. I wont be going professional in the future, just more of a hobby not gonna earn any money out of this.
    Maybe you could try the nikon D3100? it's one of the lightest entry level bodies and the standard kit lens it comes with is excellent for it's price. i read that it has also a number of semi pro features.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14192223242526 ... LastLast