Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for almost zero knowledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Default Re: Advice for almost zero knownledge on camera/photography dude (me)

Ok, will try out later. Planning to take a second night shoot later at a different location

Sry using phone now hard to muti qoute and reply. Thanks for the pointers

My 2nd night shoot.... i really need to get a new tripod the free tripod legs wobbling non stop even on this light nex5n camera... sighs...

Kit lens 18-55mm
    Exposure time 4sec
    ISO speed 100
    Focal length 18mm
    Max aperture 3.6171875

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post

My 2nd night shoot.... i really need to get a new tripod the free tripod legs wobbling non stop even on this light nex5n camera... sighs...

Kit lens 18-55mm
    Exposure time 4sec
    ISO speed 100
    Focal length 18mm
    Max aperture 3.6171875
    Hello, wah these few days you shoot a lot That's a good thing. Hahaha next time share your experience with me liao What would be your budget for getting a tripod? Less than $100 can get you a decent tripod with good stability to support your equipments. Can see your photo is slightly tilted. Good attempt thou, where is this place? Hahaha
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Kit lens 18-55mm
    Exposure time 4sec
    ISO speed 100
    Focal length 18mm
    Max aperture 3.6171875
    I feel that this picture not very sharp...Not sure if stopping down your aperture to about f/8 will help..Also, if your picture is abit overexposed, in semi-auto (P,A,S mode) -ev abit.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    Hello, wah these few days you shoot a lot That's a good thing. Hahaha next time share your experience with me liao What would be your budget for getting a tripod? Less than $100 can get you a decent tripod with good stability to support your equipments. Can see your photo is slightly tilted. Good attempt thou, where is this place? Hahaha
    I think I shouldn't complain about my tripod. As a newbie I think I just hv to make do with my "trijelly". If I can master decent shots with it a better tripod would make my shoot easier. Besides this month quite budget. Will get next month near Xmas. Budget I think not more than 250. I very noob about tripod don't know what brand, what ball head thing

This location is at bukit batok, near MRT and west mall. There's a tall condo and beside the condo there's a tall 30 storey building. Took picture from the stairways. And ya! It abit tilted
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 1st December 2011 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    I feel that this picture not very sharp...Not sure if stopping down your aperture to about f/8 will help..Also, if your picture is abit overexposed, in semi-auto (P,A,S mode) -ev abit.
    Ya I think so too. Not as sharp as I would like it to be. Will try out your suggestion soon thanks

I think I shouldn't complain about my tripod. As a newbie I think I just hv to make do with my "trijelly". If I can master decent shots with it a better tripod would make my shoot easier. Besides this month quite budget. Will get next month near Xmas. Budget I think not more than 250. I very noob about tripod don't know what brand, what ball head thing

This location is at bukit batok, near MRT and west mall. There's a tall condo and beside the condo there's a tall 30 storey building. Took picture from the stairways. And ya! It abit tilted
    For a budget of 250, look at Sirui or Benro. I'm using Sirui T1004X, so far so good. But if there is something to complain, it will be the G10 ballhead. In one direction, the knob gets in the way when shooting vertical shots. So upgrade to K10 at least... Shouldn't cost you >$200.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Ya I think so too. Not as sharp as I would like it to be. Will try out your suggestion soon thanks
    bro.. dont be afraid to up ur ISO.. 5N has the best in low light performance right now.. try it..

and yes ... get a good tripod..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post
    bro.. dont be afraid to up ur ISO.. 5N has the best in low light performance right now.. try it..

Hmm.. sorry, I won't recommend to up ISO for night shot unless it is a handheld shot. for shooting on a tripod, I will remain at ISO100, but Aperture set at maybe F11 or so. A sturdy tripod is really essential, unless that place got no wind.

The buildings are slanted, partly due to perspective distortion caused by tilting the lens downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by HighTone View Post
    Hmm.. sorry, I won't recommend to up ISO for night shot unless it is a handheld shot. for shooting on a tripod, I will remain at ISO100, but Aperture set at maybe F11 or so. A sturdy tripod is really essential, unless that place got no wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by intrance View Post

Ya.. My general rule is to keep my ISO as low as possible for shots like this. Cos in my humble opinion there's is and will have a slight degradation in IQ as long as the ISO is higher (can't be seen not obvious in good low light cameras but still can feel somehow). I would rather compensate the lack of light with a longer shutter duration (provided I hv a solid tripod/support). That's how I feel after 2 night of night shots. Will only bump up my ISO for some effects I need in photos.

Care to exchange thoughts on this?

For a budget of 250, look at Sirui or Benro. I'm using Sirui T1004X, so far so good. But if there is something to complain, it will be the G10 ballhead. In one direction, the knob gets in the way when shooting vertical shots. So upgrade to K10 at least... Shouldn't cost you >$200.
    I see I hope Xmas got sales on some decent tripods for my budget I Kinda fell in love with landscape photography. <3

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    The buildings are slanted, partly due to perspective distortion caused by tilting the lens downwards.
    Wah! You are indeed a pro! Yes I did tilt the lens downwards because I wanna capture the roads and not too much of the sky as I'm at the tallest building in the area. How to solve this problem?
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 1st December 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Don't worry about closing your aperture more and have a longer shutter speed when you are using tripod. To ensure that your tripod is more stable, pile some sand bags to the leg... and you can try duct taping the head to make it more stable. Since you are taking night scenery or landscape, there is no fear for the landscape to run away, so you can take as much time as you want in preparation for the shot. Use a remote control for long exposure shot to prevent or minimise any contact with your NEX 5N because even when pressing the shutter button can cause some slight shivering of the camera that will cause blur shot. if you do not have a remote control, use timer (set to 2sec) so you can completely remove your hand from your camera when taking the shot.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Don't worry about closing your aperture more and have a longer shutter speed when you are using tripod. To ensure that your tripod is more stable, pile some sand bags to the leg... and you can try duct taping the head to make it more stable. Since you are taking night scenery or landscape, there is no fear for the landscape to run away, so you can take as much time as you want in preparation for the shot. Use a remote control for long exposure shot to prevent or minimise any contact with your NEX 5N because even when pressing the shutter button can cause some slight shivering of the camera that will cause blur shot. if you do not have a remote control, use timer (set to 2sec) so you can completely remove your hand from your camera when taking the shot.
    As usual another piece of solid advice! Agree!

As usual another piece of solid advice! Agree!
    Another point to note when taking scenery, is to level your horizon. It can be irritating to cut a few % left right up down during PP because the horizon is not level.

Also, smells like bbb is about to hit you...real hard.. UWA lens

btw, for "effects", depending on what kind of effects you are talking about, I will still prefer to keep my ISO to the minimum and add the effects during PP. Lost details due to noise are hard to recover (if not impossible).

Another point to note when taking scenery, is to level your horizon. It can be irritating to cut a few % left right up down during PP because the horizon is not level.

Also, smells like bbb is about to hit you...real hard.. UWA lens

btw, for "effects", depending on what kind of effects you are talking about, I will still prefer to keep my ISO to the minimum and add the effects during PP. Lost details due to noise are hard to recover (if not impossible).
    Ya I agree about iso kept to as low as possible. What is bbb? Sorry for the noobness . UWA = ultra wide angle?

Wide angel lens can take sharp pictures as those 18-55 primes ma? Somehow after a few days of playing. I find my wide lens/pancake not very useful. The pictures for landscape is wider but not as sharp as I would like it to be (using f2.8). If I use higher f on my pancake lens in attempt to sharpen my pictures would it cancel out the wide effect?

Quote Originally Posted by HighTone View Post
    definitely..

dont know where i get the impressions that TS was taking pic nightshot handheld..
    sorry for nonsensical post..
    ~PeaceNoWar~

Wah! You are indeed a pro! Yes I did tilt the lens downwards because I wanna capture the roads and not too much of the sky as I'm at the tallest building in the area. How to solve this problem?
    You can fix it in post processing, provided you don't over-do the tilting.

Next solution is to get a tilt-shift lens.

Anyway, tilting the lens upwards will induce the keystone effect.

Ya I agree about iso kept to as low as possible. What is bbb? Sorry for the noobness . UWA = ultra wide angle?

Wide angel lens can take sharp pictures as those 18-55 primes ma? Somehow after a few days of playing. I find my wide lens/pancake not very useful. The pictures for landscape is wider but not as sharp as I would like it to be (using f2.8). If I use higher f on my pancake lens in attempt to sharpen my pictures would it cancel out the wide effect?
    Er... 18-55mm lens are not prime lens, it is a zoom lens. Prime lens only had 1 focal length.

Actually wide angle lens are useful in taking landscape shot, let you put more of the scene into your camera. However it is not the easiest to use. For landscape shots, you don't really need to care about fast lens, because most of the time (especially at low or bad lighting) you will be shoot at smaller aperture... and wide angle lens are not necessary pancake lens... plus pancake lens doesn't necessary mean wide angle.

And BBB means - buy buy buy! It is a virus that many of us had been infected... hope you have more discipline though... hahahaha.

For all the lens, there are a sweet spot, normally lens at their widest aperture are not the sharpest... you would need to step down a one or a few stops (don't ask me which is the best aperture though, because I wouldn't know, different lens, different).

Also... don't mistaken f-value (aperture) with focal length... especially for prime lens, they only have 1 focal length, so no matter what you do you cannot cancel the effect, you can blur your shots, but it will still be at the exact focal length. Meaning to say,

for example - a prime lens of 24mm (forget about crop factor for now), will give you a focal length of 24mm, even if you close your aperture to f32, it's focal length is still 24mm... the only different between a f2.8 and a f32 on a 24mm is the depth of field. In which a f2.8, less of the scene is in focus, while a f32, everything will be in focus because of its deeper DOF.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Bro rhino have said it all and I think you (as mentioned by rhino) are confused about the focal length and aperture. I will suggest some basic reading on these terms to understand the difference between these.

And hope you don't catch the BBB so soon (but sure sounds like you already caught it...) Just a piece of advice, "Don't be too eager to upgrade your gear by blaming your gear. Use your existing. Limitations? work around it." I'm now stuck with great lens with noob photos...

Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    You can fix it in post processing, provided you don't over-do the tilting.

Next solution is to get a tilt-shift lens.

Anyway, tilting the lens upwards will induce the keystone effect.
    I havnt start learning any post processing yet... Don't even hv a photoshop software yet :P
    get photoshop to reduce bbb effect lol. Tilt shift lens sounds expensive~

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast