Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any ideas of upgrading my gear

Default Re: Any ideas of upgrading my gear

Cool, very informative.
    I guess I have to start play with MF on my 18-200mm lens before I feel confident to buy Tokina 116 lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    erm, 'master' is a frightening word to use, but I think you can get used to it without too much of an issue.

Things that can help with getting good and fast focus with MF:

1) Big and bright viewfinder - helps you to see more clearly to judge whether subject is in focus or not.
    2) Focusing aids - focusing screens installed in the camera, etc. Can Google for more info.
    3) A lens that helps with MF:
    ......a) Well-spaced focus distances: i.e. lens doesn't jump from near limit to infinity in a short turn
    ......b) Smooth focus ring: Can turn smoothly for fine adjustments without jerking
    ......c) Focus distance scale on lens exterior

4) Focus confirmation indicator
    5) etc etc.

Default Re: Any ideas of upgrading my gear

Quote Originally Posted by flyeminent View Post
    Cool, very informative.
    I guess I have to start play with MF on my 18-200mm lens before I feel confident to buy Tokina 116 lens.
    From what I remember about 18-200VR, the focus ring is a little narrow and not very well-spaced. You turn it a bit and focus moves quite a lot. Might not be a good 'initiation' to manual focusing

You need to try out a lens like the Tokina 11-16 or 12-24 to have a feel for their implementation of MF
    If you can lay your hands on an old Nikkor Ai or AiS (manual focus only) lens, I think you can appreciate the difference in design.
    Exploring! :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123