Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas of upgrading my gear

Default Re: Any ideas of upgrading my gear

Great, Thank you for your information. Somebody said they don't get used to the 39 AF points
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    D7k fills the gap between the cropped highest end D300s & D90. Some even said D7k is not an upgrade to D90.
    The main features in D7k not in D90 includes:
    - 39 AF points vs 11
    - AF fine tune
    - Metering (I think) with older AI lenses
    - Mirror up mode
    - 1080p @ 24fps video recording
    - dual SD card slot vs single

There are others but this should suffice for ur curiosity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flyeminent
    Great, Thank you for your information. Somebody said they don't get used to the 39 AF points
    I wonder how those people will feel when they get 51 AF points. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Papasmurfsimon View Post
    I am using the D7000 which is one of the best around for that price. I brought it to Turkey and Egypt with lot of sands flying around and it handles well. Since you are keeping your current Nikon why bother to change brand, though Canon offers more varieties of lens
    For wide angle I am using the Tokina 11-16 which is relatively good for wide angle. However if budget is not a problem stick with the originals 3rd party lens maybe cheaper but performance may not be comparable
    Oh no, this confirmation is what I don't want to read !

Definitely you should go for a D7000 or a D90. Extra AF points, weather sealed, works on 3rd party lenses. I upgraded from a D5000 half a year back and it hasn't disappoint me till date.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

Read this interesting note somewhere: "you know those super expensive medium format cameras that pros use? Guess how many AF points they have... Exactly ONE!"

Yes, sounds like D7000 is the first and the best choice so far. cheers! D7000 owners!
    Quote Originally Posted by clov3r View Post
    Definitely you should go for a D7000 or a D90. Extra AF points, weather sealed, works on 3rd party lenses. I upgraded from a D5000 half a year back and it hasn't disappoint me till date.

Suggest you go hands on and try out the D7000.
    Last edited by chillicutter; 23rd November 2011 at 08:55 PM.

Haha.. Well said, Uncle Fai..

flyeminent: I dunno about other brands because I have been using Sony. I was going to suggest the Alpha A77 until i saw your last requirement.. But Sony also got lens of that range la..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Never mind. Any comments are welcome. Sony also has it own market and followers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Haha.. Well said, Uncle Fai..

flyeminent: I dunno about other brands because I have been using Sony. I was going to suggest the Alpha A77 until i saw your last requirement.. But Sony also got lens of that range la..

D7k is a good camera itself and you wont go wrong. Its a good upgrade from your current at least for me..Anyway.. maybe in the future..u gonna upgrade again because thing just keep getting better and not everyone is immune to it.

Most important is.. you must feel good and happy with what you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Super confused? Or they will set to spot AF and use the centre-point? lol =P
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by flyeminent View Post
    Never mind. Any comments are welcome. Sony also has it own market and followers!
    You can go to Sony and check it out. I'm not a fanboy; the reason why i bring up Sony is because it fits your criteria and most importantly, it's the only brand i've used before so it'll be unfair to chip in on other brands..
    Alpha

Yes, I am thinking of buying Tokina 11-16. But my D5000 doesn't have auto-focus motor, and I will result in doing manual focus all the way to shoot landscape. Sounds tough. So I need to upgrade my camera at the first place.
    Answer to the first question, I wish I have money to buy the Nikkor 10-24, but its price is almost double the price of Tokina 116.
    You have a good point. I really love D5000's tilting LCD screen, but now the factor of lacking built-in auto-focus motor already outweigh this advantage.
    Shooting landscapes should be all right with manual focus. In fact once you start using stuff like ND filters and practising hyperfocus techniques, you'll likely be using manual focus anyway So then you may end up switching camera bodies to gain autofocus capability, and yet not utilizing it. Try out the Tokina 11-16 with your current camera first. The focus ring is quite well-spaced and rotation is dampened. Quite good for MF.

And the Nikkor 10-24 is not double the price of the Tokina 11-16...
    Exploring! :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Read this interesting note somewhere: "you know those super expensive medium format cameras that pros use? Guess how many AF points they have... Exactly ONE!"

And the maximum ISO is at a whopping 800.

I still like D300s more leh... Love the larger grip and weight
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I still like my 500D, cos it's light... thou getting abit front heavy now...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Too soon to upgrade now as D5000 is still new. Maybe upgrade to D800 full frame would be better choice. D7000 is still
    APSC sensor not much different except extra functions to play with.

Sadly, I haven't played with manual focus before. I switched to AF of my 18-200mm immediately on the first day I got it. So I am not confident to do manual focus. Seriously, is manual focus hard to master?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Shooting landscapes should be all right with manual focus. In fact once you start using stuff like ND filters and practising hyperfocus techniques, you'll likely be using manual focus anyway So then you may end up switching camera bodies to gain autofocus capability, and yet not utilizing it. Try out the Tokina 11-16 with your current camera first. The focus ring is quite well-spaced and rotation is dampened. Quite good for MF.

And the Nikkor 10-24 is not double the price of the Tokina 11-16...

The FX DSLR is far beyond my budget already. I heard that D7000 is good enough for semi-professionals. Maybe FX is not suitable for me now.
    Quote Originally Posted by henry soh View Post
    Too soon to upgrade now as D5000 is still new. Maybe upgrade to D800 full frame would be better choice. D7000 is still
    APSC sensor not much different except extra functions to play with.

Sadly, I haven't played with manual focus before. I switched to AF of my 18-200mm immediately on the first day I got it. So I am not confident to do manual focus. Seriously, is manual focus hard to master?
    erm, 'master' is a frightening word to use, but I think you can get used to it without too much of an issue.

Things that can help with getting good and fast focus with MF:

1) Big and bright viewfinder - helps you to see more clearly to judge whether subject is in focus or not.
    2) Focusing aids - focusing screens installed in the camera, etc. Can Google for more info.
    3) A lens that helps with MF:
    ......a) Well-spaced focus distances: i.e. lens doesn't jump from near limit to infinity in a short turn
    ......b) Smooth focus ring: Can turn smoothly for fine adjustments without jerking
    ......c) Focus distance scale on lens exterior

4) Focus confirmation indicator
    5) etc etc.
    Exploring! :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast