Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camera lens? which to buy.

Default Re: camera lens? which to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by or1onz View Post
    Hi, sorry I slotted myself in.
    I have a D5100 kit lens with 18-55 and additional 55-200 f4-5.6 VR

I am looking around with lower 'f' to play in a low light condition and wide angle.
    2 lenses came into my mind:
    AFS 35mm f/1.8
    AFS 50mm f/1.8
    I am questioning both of them, and how will they react to my original 18-55 lens?

I believe the original 18-55 couldn't compete with 35/50 in low light conditions right?
    probably, the 18-55 can't compare to 35/50, but if u r takin a group pic etc, the thin dof would mean some ppl in the group will be OOF(Out Of Focus)
    really depends on the situation at that time and what u wan to achieve.
    a flash would be useful here...
    sb700 etc etc...
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

is 600d any better?

anyway.. im a point and shoot person. only use for outings and etc.

i gotta admit i am do no understand all the lenses thingy too (etc: 18-55lens and all?). slowly reading up tho!

a friend said, kit lense ain't good. is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by snaem85
    is 600d any better?

i gotta admit i am do no understand all the lenses thingy too (etc: 18-55lens and all?). slowly reading up tho!

Unless you are prepare to spend time and effort to learn, you might be better off getting a good compact camera like the S95 and you might be spending more time shooting with it than a dslr because it is easier to carry around.

Depending on your definition of "any better", I say generally 600D is a good camera. Any better than the D5100.... Don't know.

In what way, is the kit lens no good?
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by snaem85 View Post
    is 600d any better?

Why is a kit lens not good? Ask your friend that.

Quote Originally Posted by snaem85
    is 600d any better?

there, you said it.
    you're a point&shoot person.
    I guess you're better off with Canon S95, Nikon P300 IMO.

But whatever it is, it still depends on you. If you don't mind the weight and bulk of the DSLR, den go get+kit lens of course.. if not, just go for compact mentioned.

Kit lens are great. Go down to camera shops and have a feel of dslr/s etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snaem85 View Post
    is 600d any better?

Maybe you should ask your friend to keep his/her opinion to herself and do more photography before shooting out comments like kit lens are not good. First off, kit lens are great piece of optic, ask the seniors around here, some of them even make use of these kit lens to take professional grade photos.

Of course, kit lens are not fix aperture, and mainly had smaller aperture, so to some people that is a deal breaker (not me though)...

Anyway, since you are a point and shoot type of personal, then DSLR is not the tool for you. You might want to check out good point and shoot cameras like the S95 (and soon S100), Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1, etc. If you want better noise handling in high ISO as compared to normal PnS camera, you might want to check out mirrorless cameras... offerings from Song, Samsung, Olympus and Panasonic... (plus if you can find, the E-PL1 is going at cheaper price as compared to some premium PnS cameras).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hi TS im not a pro, just a newbie but as a fellow newbie I would advice you to just get the kit lens and play first and slowly discover what gene of photography you are keen in. Just get a body + 18-55mm would do. 18-55mm for newbies like us is a so called "lens for a little bit of everything". It's not perfect for a certain situation or gene but good enough for learners like us in all situations, as it allows you to play around with a nice range of the length. From there you can move on to further needs...

For me I realized I don't like street photography, I like landscape and still abstract life photography
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 5th December 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    Hi TS im not a pro, just a newbie but as a fellow newbie I would advice you to just get the kit lens and play first and slowly discover what gene of photography you are keen in. Just get a body + 18-55mm would do. 18-55mm for newbies like us is a so called "lens for a little bit of everything". It's not perfect for a certain situation or gene but good enough for learners like us in all situations, as it allows you to play around with a nice range of the length. From there you can move on to further needs...

For me I realized I don't like street photography, I like landscape and still abstract life photography
    Hahaha kit lens are very good in fact. Much better than some of the other lenses. Hehe after playing with the kit lens for sometime, you will know what's lacking from your kit lens, don't rush to get other lenses just because you think you can produce better photographs, always remember that you are the one that creates the photo, not the lens. The lens is just a tool to assist you with. Your so called best personal assistant. so in conclusion. Gt more out of your kit lens, and one day you will realize it's limitations, and you will know which area to look out for when it comes to selection of new lens next time.

Hahahajust my 2 cents worth, correct me if I am wrong. Cheers and good luck!
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

everyone has to start somewhere. if you think your 18-55 limits you, then you're probably at the limit of your own creativity and skill.

and that's when you need to use a limit break to bust outta that and improve your skill, rather than buy lenses which you might not even need.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    everyone has to start somewhere. if you think your 18-55 limits you, then you're probably at the limit of your own creativity and skill.

and that's when you need to use a limit break to bust outta that and improve your skill, rather than buy lenses which you might not even need.

Yeah totally agree. Don't buy and sell when you don't need them. If you want, you can actually rent it for a couple of days or so.
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

totally amazing opinions! thanks guys.

d600 with kit lense then!

the thing about kit lens is that it allows you to try everything. take the 18-55 for example.
    a little bit of zoom, but not too much
    a little bit of wide angle, but not too much
    a little bit of macro, but not very significant

from there, you also notice that you dont usually have to deal with flare, or if IQ decreases as you move through the range.
    18-55 is very all rounded, but that also means that it's not good at any particular one thing.
    when you realise that you desperately want and need something that will push you in one direction, then move along with it.
    ie. zoom lenses for events, portraits, wildlife
    UWAs for landscape
    Macros for product photog, texture

and so on! there's a reason why you have a kit lens, and thank god it lets you try everything. and just when you think you've tried everything? change lens =D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12