Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lens for wedding photography..

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84
    I just attended a wedding and saw the main photographer using manual lens on his canon 1D series. Impressed by his skills because shooting wedding at a fast pace with af is already not easy and to use manual lens, his manual focusing must be lighting quick and accurate.
    Have you seen the actual pictures to judge whether they're really sharp or just hits and misses.

It takes guts and skills to do that, and it might be just guts the photographer has.

Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    I just attended a wedding and saw the main photographer using manual lens on his canon 1D series. Impressed by his skills because shooting wedding at a fast pace with af is already not easy and to use manual lens, his manual focusing must be lighting quick and accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    Have you seen the actual pictures to judge whether they're really sharp or just hits and misses.

It takes guts and skills to do that, and it might be just guts the photographer has.
    in the 60's and 70's, many photojournalists load their camera with Tri-X, set their 35mm lens aperture at f8 and using masking tape to tape the focusing ring down at hyper focus distance.

so the editors just need to tell them, "f8, be there"....

remember Joe McNally mention in his book, one of the press photographer only shoot 3 frames for an assignment when Joe is a darkroom boy?
    Last edited by catchlights; 7th December 2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights

in the 60's and 70's, many photojournalist load their camera with Tri-X, set their 35mm lens aperture at f8 and using masking tape to tape the focusing ring down at hyper focus distance.

so the editors just need to tell them, "f8, be there"....

remember Joe McNally mention in his book, one of the press photographer only shoot 3 frames for an assignment when Joe is a darkroom boy?
    but some will argue why use manual lens when there are so many better autofocus lens these days also.

It's a matter of which setup you're happier working with. Give me something I don't appreciate also no use. I won't be happy at the end of the day..
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Blog Entries

And I have personally seen a leica user focus faster than using AF. it makes a big difference if you have a focusing aid in your focusing screen.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123
    And I have personally seen a leica user focus faster than using AF. it makes a big difference if you have a focusing aid in your focusing screen.
    I know someone that doesn't even need the focusing aid... Focus just by looking at the distance scale. Hehe. Some hero!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Quote Originally Posted by bonrya View Post
    but some will argue why use manual lens when there are so many better autofocus lens these days also.

It's a matter of which setup you're happier working with. Give me something I don't appreciate also no use. I won't be happy at the end of the day..
    the bottom line is use whatever works for you.

shooting a wedding is just the same like shooting whatever things, a photographer need to have the basic knowledge of photography and the skills, these are the foundation.
    don't have the foundation and yet spend so much time talking about the gears is useless.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Eh no... I was busy eating good food to cover my ang bao cost lol so i never check out who is the guy....
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 7th December 2011 at 03:38 PM.

Yes, be it manual focus or whatever trick the photographers use, it doesn't matter at all. If the images created can delight the wedding couples, market themselves at higher price and win some international famous awards, why not?
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234