Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: Lens for wedding photography..

  1. #1
    Member YankoviC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    63

    Default Lens for wedding photography..

    Would to know what is the common lens use for wedding photography???

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    there is alot . realli depend on individual. some prefer primes while others still to mid zoom like 24-70mm 2.8 and some uses kits lens. it like a ques ( what tyres you uses for expressway driving)
    D700 - 24-70mm F2.8 ED - 105mm VR2 Micro - Samyang 14mm - 50mm 1.8D - Mb 10 - SB900 - SB400

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by YankoviC View Post
    Would to know what is the common lens use for wedding photography???
    Please search for 'wedding' here.. and read, read, read ... Comes twice a week at least.
    EOS

  4. #4
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine
    Please search for 'wedding' here.. and read, read, read ... Comes twice a week at least.
    Plus 1 for this,

    It's a frequent asked question.
    Lousy de My Flickr

  5. #5
    Member YankoviC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    there is alot . realli depend on individual. some prefer primes while others still to mid zoom like 24-70mm 2.8 and some uses kits lens. it like a ques ( what tyres you uses for expressway driving)

    Thnxs small pig really appreciate on ur sharing...

  6. #6

    Default

    The norm is 16-35, 24-70, 70-200. Depends on self, some older more Exp photog use prime for the whole wedding shoot.
    Dedicated EOS user.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    i usuallly use 14L 24L 35L 50L 85L 100L 135L 200L 400L. to cover everything. you should get them all too if u wanna become pro.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hougang Ave. 7
    Posts
    888

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    For APS-C camera I use the kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 for the whole day.
    Back in the film days, I just use 28mm f/2.8 for the whole day.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    what lenses to use is depends on your shooting style,
    if you have no ideal what to start with, get the lenses you are most familiar with, you will know how the framing will be like at the spot you standing at, before you rise your camera and look into viewfinder.

    the worst thing you can do to yourself is following people advice blindly, the lenses will not make the shots, the photographers are the one who make the shots,

    so, in short, know your tools well.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #10
    Member mysimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jln Kayu
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    what lenses to use is depends on your shooting style,
    if you have no ideal what to start with, get the lenses you are most familiar with, you will know how the framing will be like at the spot you standing at, before you rise your camera and look into viewfinder.

    the worst thing you can do to yourself is following people advice blindly, the lenses will not make the shots, the photographers are the one who make the shots,

    so, in short, know your tools well.
    Totally Agree....
    *Simba* loves D700 + 24-70

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    I'm not sure if you are referring to wedding studio shots or AD shooting. No matter which lens you decide on, please remember not to jeopardize the wedding, especially if you have decided on primes. They can take really good pictures and that's only when you really know how to use them. Just my 2 cents.
    D200

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    There is no such thing as a lens for wedding, but certain characteristics would make some lenses more suited/flexible than others.

    1. Fast aperture (f2.8 or lower) - to take in ambient light or for DOF control
    2. Zoom - for versatility in framing and perspective distortion/compression benefits
    3. Focal length that can cover a wider view to take in environment, group shots as well as a tighter FOV for portraits and close-ups.

    16-50; 17-50; 18-50; 24-70; 28-75 all are good versatile zooms to do this.
    If you are competent in a photo journalistic and 'street' style in your shots, even a single prime like a 50mm, 24mm, 35mm will do too.
    So depends on your style and preference as well.

  13. #13
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    For me... I will use a zoom lens for flexibility and not needing to change lens frequently and I would look at where is the venu of the wedding... where will I be standing and stuff like that. That would tell me alot on which lens to use.

    Most probably a 24-70mm or 24-105mm would suffix for most application. However everyone seemed too intent on lens alone... well... I think the most important thing is the external flash. I would go for 580EX II, YN565EX when I am on Canon, or SB900 when I am on Nikon.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  14. #14
    Member YankoviC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    For me... I will use a zoom lens for flexibility and not needing to change lens frequently and I would look at where is the venu of the wedding... where will I be standing and stuff like that. That would tell me alot on which lens to use.

    Most probably a 24-70mm or 24-105mm would suffix for most application. However everyone seemed too intent on lens alone... well... I think the most important thing is the external flash. I would go for 580EX II, YN565EX when I am on Canon, or SB900 when I am on Nikon.
    Using a yn565ex it's in manual fully if I'm not mistaken.. Dun u think it Abit difficult?? Mayb u can relebrate on it more from experience..

  15. #15
    Member YankoviC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Hmmm... Look like lots using the 24-70mm yeah I find using a zoom is much easier than prime lens depending on some photographer who is much experience...

  16. #16
    Member Nnodmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I have used my 35mm prime for my friend's wedding dinner. Some shots with n without flash... ( pics in my blog ) Turned out quite well.. Thou I do agree, it really depends on ur style of shooting. I didn't have much time to change lens thou, which is not a prob coz I managed to get some good shots n am able to just crop them if I want, but knowing what to expect is good, so it gives u time to change lens n picture ur shoot first...

  17. #17

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by YankoviC View Post
    Using a yn565ex it's in manual fully if I'm not mistaken.. Dun u think it Abit difficult?? Mayb u can relebrate on it more from experience..
    it has ettl feature. 3rd party budget alternative to 580exii

    24-70 is popular on FF. May not be so on crop bodies. You might be better off using 17-50/55 f2.8 on crop bodies.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 30th November 2011 at 01:44 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    i usuallly use 14L 24L 35L 50L 85L 100L 135L 200L 400L. to cover everything. you should get them all too if u wanna become pro.

  19. #19
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    Quote Originally Posted by YankoviC View Post
    Using a yn565ex it's in manual fully if I'm not mistaken.. Dun u think it Abit difficult?? Mayb u can relebrate on it more from experience..
    YN565EX is ETTL flash.

    Photozblog.com: Yongnuo Flashes and the New YN565EX TTL
    Yongnuo YN-565 EX Flash Review | Speedlights.net

    So it is not difficult to use at all. If you are good with a flash, it should not pose any different or difficulty in using.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  20. #20
    Member YankoviC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Lens for wedding photography..

    1- Ok may I know is the yn565ex already out in the market n how much it cost...

    2- guys which is the better choice for taking wedding??
    - using external flash or without flash but kick up the ISO higher??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •