Thread: Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF

Default Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF

hi,

anyone got any comment on the above lens, interested to get one for my 20D, or can recommend something similar to compliment my cam..

Thks in advance..

Blog Entries

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/35mm,Zo...1_3128crx.aspx

i believe i saw one on sale at Camera Exchange at peninsular hotel.

but hor... IMO, since u got a 20D, why not consider the 17-40mm/f4L or 16-35mm/f2.8L?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

I'm been using it for quite a while. IMHO, it's build quality is quite good - Sigma EX series are generally quite well built. Optically, the lens performs up to expectations, I would consider it as good as the 17-40L under normal usage. My main reason for choosing it was the 15-30 range, which makes quite a big difference on a 1.6x crop.

Perhaps it's main weakness would be flare, but in my experience, it's avoidable in most situations (I do shoot outdoor events).

Furthermore, it's quite cheap in the 2nd hand market (~$600) and does its job well. Of 'coz if the L is important to you, then go for the 17-40.

Hi Thomas D,

I just got a 15-30 Sigma and did a fairly comprhensive (but not scientific hor) test outdoors covering 15, 20 and 30mm at 3.5/4/4.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 and 27 or 29 (can't remember). All shot on a solid studio tripod, largest JPEG file, fine setting, ASA 100, 10D.

I will be glad to pass you a copy on a CD if you self-collect as the files are way too huge to be e-mailed, or can post it to you if you pay for postage and handling.

I have absolutely NO regrets buying this lens, and appreciate the extra reach that 15 mm givs me over Canon's 17.

BTW,

http://www.burren.cx/photo/ultrawide/1530v1740.html

Canon 17-40 vs Sigma 15-30

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...rt=7&thecat=29

Users' comments

and

http://www.naturephotographers.net/oa0602-1.html

Cheers!
    Last edited by Feinwerkbau; 10th November 2004 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Add in links

After reading so many reviews, I finally decided to go for the Sigma. I take mostly landscape, so the range is what appeals me most. No need to see anymore pictures but thanks for offering. Anyone can tell me where to get it at the best price? Went to SL, quoted $1k for it but can't remember the shop name. Any 'kang tou' pls..

Well, you've heard the pro of this lens. Now comes the con:
    1.body length is longer by comparison (to Canon 17-40L, Tamron 17-35)
    2.Noisy AF
    3.No full time manual focus
    4.Can't use CPL (unless with custom made blacket)

Overall, it is still a good choice. I sold mine for 17-40L.

For super wide lens, check out Sigma 12-24mm EX. Another good choice.

Kelvin's rite Thomas.

If you're doing mainly landscapes and archi, the 12-24 would be much more useful to you.

It may cost more, but believe me, when your against the edge of a ledge and stuck with the 24mm equivalent of the 15-30, you'll wish you had a wider lens!

However, if cost is no object, there's always the big 'L'!

[QUOTE=Kelvin K]...
    3.No full time manual focus...

QUOTE]

I'm sorry Klvin,

I don't quite understand this.

Whn I set the lens switch to 'M', and slide the focus ring to 'M', I gt full manual focus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD
    After reading so many reviews, I finally decided to go for the Sigma. I take mostly landscape, so the range is what appeals me most. No need to see anymore pictures but thanks for offering. Anyone can tell me where to get it at the best price? Went to SL, quoted $1k for it but can't remember the shop name. Any 'kang tou' pls..
    ermmm... SL??

IMO hor... better check with more reputable shops. either dat, or call up Camera Exchange? i knew i saw one there on mon, nicely shrink-wrapped. think it was going for $500+. just dunno wat mount tho. mebbe u can check it out?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Went to check out the 12-24mm and taken a few shots in the shop. This lens has got HSM which is quite comparable with ultrasonic, very quiet AF. But find it too slow for indoor shoot, max f/4.5. The 15-30mm is relatively heavier and noisy AF, for that kind of price, I think I will most likely go for the L lens and get a 15mm prime for landscape.