Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

  1. #21
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    ?

    Flash does not equate to high shutter speed. You can shoot with flash at 1/500 the same you can at 1/5, just different results.

    Bottom line is VR/IS cannot replace fast shutter speed when you need it.
    good ans

    consider the following scenario, in low light conditions.

    f5.6 @ 1/60 + IS vs f2.8 @ 1/120

    (numbers are randomly plucked from thin air)

    u can stop motion (acceptably) with the f2.8 at 1/120, but at 1/60 likely to have motion blur of your subject. IS is good for handholding, but it cannot replace faster shutter speeds especially when shooting moving targets. nice to have, but not a must have.

  2. #22
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Why must choose. Why not fast lens AND IS/VR/SS?

    ;P

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    The idea of flash compensating shutter speed is often misunderstood. It helps to a certain extend but when you start to lose ambience light, it doesn't make sense anymore.

    Tripod can help in slow sync flash situation. Thought knocking them unconicious is an option
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    The idea of flash compensating shutter speed is often misunderstood. It helps to a certain extend but when you start to lose ambience light, it doesn't make sense anymore.

    Tripod can help in slow sync flash situation. Thought knocking them unconicious is an option
    My understanding is that flash is not affected by shutter speed... but what do I know? I am just a newbie. :P

  5. #25

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    you can shoot higher shutter speed(e.g 1/160s) with flash, provided you do not need most/any of the ambient light and or your flash can emit enough power to light up the whole place(e.g ballroom).

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    If you need large aperture, you need large aperture; if you need image stabilization, you can always opt for a tripod. My 0.02.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    My understanding is that flash is not affected by shutter speed... but what do I know? I am just a newbie. :P
    Wah bro, u damn Lao jiao leh. Not u lah. A lot of ppl thought flash high power can just use fast shutter speed. Then end up all get dead white faces with no background.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  8. #28

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Wah bro, u damn Lao jiao leh. Not u lah. A lot of ppl thought flash high power can just use fast shutter speed. Then end up all get dead white faces with no background.
    The opposite is true too, some people think they can drag the shutter a lot and get a lot of ambient and then freeze the subject with flash. There is a limit on how much you can shutter drag before ghosting from subject movement kicks in. Thus a large aperture lens that lets in more light still holds comparable advantage over ability to shoot slower shutter speed offered by VR/IS
    Last edited by sjackal; 25th November 2011 at 12:14 AM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  9. #29

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    Tripod will never freeze your subjects unless you use it to knock them unconcious If you have flash it doesn't matter if you have a fast lens or VR as you definitely get high shutter speeds.
    Haha.. i likey the tripod part..

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    ?

    Flash does not equate to high shutter speed. You can shoot with flash at 1/500 the same you can at 1/5, just different results.

    Bottom line is VR/IS cannot replace fast shutter speed when you need it.
    But flash can allow you to use a faster shutter speed right?
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    If all you care is to light up the subject. Yes. But your little flash cannot lit up the entire MBS (for example), behind your subject. That's where you will still need slow shutter speed to let the ambient light fill in when you are shooting at night.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal

    The opposite is true too, some people think they can drag the shutter a lot and get a lot of ambient and then freeze the subject with flash. There is a limit on how much you can shutter drag before ghosting from subject movement kicks in. Thus a large aperture lens that lets in more light still holds comparable advantage over ability to shoot slower shutter speed offered by VR/IS
    This could be a yes and no. It all depends how much depth of field you want. Too large an aperture loses depth of field.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    If all you care is to light up the subject. Yes. But your little flash cannot lit up the entire MBS (for example), behind your subject. That's where you will still need slow shutter speed to let the ambient light fill in when you are shooting at night.
    Uh.. Ok, honestly when I commented I wasn't thinking about anything that huge.. Iwas thinking of things like portraits or smith.. Oops.. Sorrie
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic

    Uh.. Ok, honestly when I commented I wasn't thinking about anything that huge.. Iwas thinking of things like portraits or smith.. Oops.. Sorrie
    Dun need to apologize. It's all abt experience sharing here.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  14. #34

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Yes, but remember flash may not be ideal if you are slapping on straight, hard flash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Haha.. i likey the tripod part..



    But flash can allow you to use a faster shutter speed right?
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  15. #35

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    This could be a yes and no. It all depends how much depth of field you want. Too large an aperture loses depth of field.
    If you need large aperture, just simply stop down to f/16 if you want. A fast 1.4 lens does not mean its stuck at 1.4 and cannot stop down.
    Last edited by sjackal; 25th November 2011 at 08:26 PM.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal

    If you need large aperture, just simply stop down to f/16 if you want. A fast 1.4 lens does not mean its stuck at 1.4 and cannot stop down.
    Well... Then what you said previously as an advantage of large aperture in terms of avoid dragging shutter has diminished.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  17. #37

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    If you need large aperture, just simply stop down to f/16 if you want. A fast 1.4 lens does not mean its stuck at 1.4 and cannot stop down.
    getting a bit confusing here.

    when we say 'large' aperture, we are referring to e.g f1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0 etc, ain't we?

  18. #38

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    If all you care is to light up the subject. Yes. But your little flash cannot lit up the entire MBS (for example), behind your subject. That's where you will still need slow shutter speed to let the ambient light fill in when you are shooting at night.
    OT: creative lighting comes to mind. Multiple speedlites + variable ratios
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  19. #39

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Sorry for confusion caused by my typo, was writing these replies after a long day's shoot... should be "If you need more DOF, simply stop down..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    Well... Then what you said previously as an advantage of large aperture in terms of avoid dragging shutter has diminished.
    Quote Originally Posted by tecnica View Post
    getting a bit confusing here.

    when we say 'large' aperture, we are referring to e.g f1.2/1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0 etc, ain't we?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post

    If you need large aperture, just simply stop down to f/16 if you want. A fast 1.4 lens does not mean its stuck at 1.4 and cannot stop down.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  20. #40

    Default Re: Fast lens vs VC/OS/VR/IS lens

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    OT: creative lighting comes to mind. Multiple speedlites + variable ratios
    Your post does reminds of me a great project done by 50 photographers who went as far as light up the whole town with Speedlites.

    Painting with light an entire city /Pintando con luz toda una ciudad : caborian, fotografia digital
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •