Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Good portrait lens?

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Good portrait lens?

    hi all ,
    i'm newbie.. now i m using Eos 500D. i wanna buy lens for portrait. which lens are good for my camera..

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    If you have yet to try out the 18-55/135/200, do give them a try first before seeking for a new lens...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    hi all ,
    i'm newbie.. now i m using Eos 500D. i wanna buy lens for portrait. which lens are good for my camera..
    I'm not sure how or why any lens will affect the well-being of your camera.
    Jokes aside, what's wrong with your kit lens? If you can't answer this you don't need any other lens. Use what you have and learn with it.
    EOS

  4. #4

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I'm not sure how or why any lens will affect the well-being of your camera.
    Jokes aside, what's wrong with your kit lens? If you can't answer this you don't need any other lens. Use what you have and learn with it.

    Thank Octarine...my kit lens are good for me but i want to upgrade . wanna shoot behind blur and indoor shoot.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If you have yet to try out the 18-55/135/200, do give them a try first before seeking for a new lens...
    Thank Skystrike
    i will try one by one.... if i budget hv..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    Thank Octarine...my kit lens are good for me but i want to upgrade . wanna shoot behind blur and indoor shoot.
    hmm from what i read..you dont need a upgrade.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    Thank Skystrike
    i will try one by one.... if i budget hv..
    The above listed 18-55/135/200 are "kit" lens...I believe your DSLR came with at least one of it....try playing with it first.

    btw, if you want the behind blur shot, you can try framing your subject at your max zoom and standing as near as possible while the background of your subject to be as far as possible (quite confirm your background will be totally OOF/blur)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    Thank Octarine...my kit lens are good for me but i want to upgrade . wanna shoot behind blur and indoor shoot.
    Get a flash for indoor, read up about bounce flash, bounce card and diffuser. If there is not enough light just make some Much easier than to get an expensive fast lens, struggle with shallow DOF and slow shutter speed and getting noise due to high ISO.
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    The above listed 18-55/135/200 are "kit" lens...I believe your DSLR came with at least one of it....try playing with it first.

    btw, if you want the behind blur shot, you can try framing your subject at your max zoom and standing as near as possible while the background of your subject to be as far as possible (quite confirm your background will be totally OOF/blur)
    yes ..i hv 18-55 and 50mm 1.8 ..need to zoom lens? 50 mm is good for me but my hand r always shaking..

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    yes ..i hv 18-55 and 50mm 1.8 ..need to zoom lens? 50 mm is good for me but my hand r always shaking..
    18-55 is already a zoom...

    if you photos are always blurred due to hand shake, try increasing your shutter speed or use a flash if not enough light. I read this somewhere: "before upgrading your lens, try getting a flash first"
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  11. #11

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    yes ..i hv 18-55 and 50mm 1.8 ..need to zoom lens? 50 mm is good for me but my hand r always shaking..
    faster shutter speed..pump ISO..get something to support..eg monopod/tripod
    or maybe train and adopt a better shooting technique.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    I have two recommendations for you, one more practical than the other.

    1) 85mm F1.8 USM
    Very good portrait length for cropped bodies. Quite sharp, fast auto-focus and all.
    (There is a very similar but harder to find, slightly more expensive 100mm F2 USM, also very good lens).


    2) 135mm F2 L
    This lens is quite phenomenal, but also comes at a price. Around 1k if you buy 2nd hand.
    Its also very long on a cropped body, so you will be pretty much shooting outdoor in controlled situations.
    Expect a working distance of about 4m headshots to 8m half body from your subjects.
    I actually won't entirely recommend this until you have a good feel of whether you really like portraits, or long lenses.

    Its better to start with the 85mm F1.8, for the price factor also. Don't jump into something too expensive just because you want to get a lens.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  13. #13
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by actor13
    hi all ,
    i'm newbie.. now i m using Eos 500D. i wanna buy lens for portrait. which lens are good for my camera..
    If u're on a low budget (like me), you can consider the Sigma 50mm F2.8 lens.
    It's a 1:1 macro lens as well. I personally don't like F1.2-1.8 as it can easily go OOF.

    That's my personal view.

  14. #14
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    TS... no need to upgrade lenses... use your 18-55 and 50mm lens. They are good lenses that will give you all that you have asked.

    For indoor portrait shoot, you might want to look into getting an external flash and a tripod... and in later stage, you might want to get wireless or remote trigger for your flash.

    Do read up on portrait photography (there are literally millions of websites online and/or magazines and books).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  15. #15

    Default

    If u have the budget the splurge, 85 1.2 is the way to go. Otherwise, sigma 85 1.4 or ef85 1.8 are good.

    18-55 will definitely give u the blurred background if u shoot at the tele end and subject spaced out from background. But a good prime will be a better choice, quality of bokeh is better and also the large aperture lends to faster focusing.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    If u have the budget the splurge, 85 1.2 is the way to go. Otherwise, sigma 85 1.4 or ef85 1.8 are good.

    18-55 will definitely give u the blurred background if u shoot at the tele end and subject spaced out from background. But a good prime will be a better choice, quality of bokeh is better and also the large aperture lends to faster focusing.
    No need. He already has a 50mm f/1.8 but he has handshake issues. Nothing can help him unless he learns proper holding techniques.
    Alpha

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Johor Bahru, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,763

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    get the 50 f1.8

    if u dunno what u need, then u dun need it
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

  18. #18
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Good portrait lens?

    Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    get the 50 f1.8

    if u dunno what u need, then u dun need it
    he already got a 50 f1.8

    ts would suggest you to shoot more 1st b4 buying =)
    Lousy de My Flickr

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •