Thread: Good portrait lens?

Lightbulb Good portrait lens?

hi all ,
    i'm newbie.. now i m using Eos 500D. i wanna buy lens for portrait. which lens are good for my camera..

Default Re: Good portrait lens?

If you have yet to try out the 18-55/135/200, do give them a try first before seeking for a new lens...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by actor13 View Post
    hi all ,
    i'm newbie.. now i m using Eos 500D. i wanna buy lens for portrait. which lens are good for my camera..
    I'm not sure how or why any lens will affect the well-being of your camera.
    Jokes aside, what's wrong with your kit lens? If you can't answer this you don't need any other lens. Use what you have and learn with it.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I'm not sure how or why any lens will affect the well-being of your camera.
    Jokes aside, what's wrong with your kit lens? If you can't answer this you don't need any other lens. Use what you have and learn with it.

Thank Octarine...my kit lens are good for me but i want to upgrade . wanna shoot behind blur and indoor shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    If you have yet to try out the 18-55/135/200, do give them a try first before seeking for a new lens...
    Thank Skystrike
    i will try one by one.... if i budget hv..

Thank Octarine...my kit lens are good for me but i want to upgrade . wanna shoot behind blur and indoor shoot.
    hmm from what i read..you dont need a upgrade.

Thank Skystrike
    i will try one by one.... if i budget hv..
    The above listed 18-55/135/200 are "kit" lens...I believe your DSLR came with at least one of it....try playing with it first.

btw, if you want the behind blur shot, you can try framing your subject at your max zoom and standing as near as possible while the background of your subject to be as far as possible (quite confirm your background will be totally OOF/blur)
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Get a flash for indoor, read up about bounce flash, bounce card and diffuser. If there is not enough light just make some Much easier than to get an expensive fast lens, struggle with shallow DOF and slow shutter speed and getting noise due to high ISO.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike View Post
    The above listed 18-55/135/200 are "kit" lens...I believe your DSLR came with at least one of it....try playing with it first.

btw, if you want the behind blur shot, you can try framing your subject at your max zoom and standing as near as possible while the background of your subject to be as far as possible (quite confirm your background will be totally OOF/blur)
    yes ..i hv 18-55 and 50mm 1.8 ..need to zoom lens? 50 mm is good for me but my hand r always shaking..

yes ..i hv 18-55 and 50mm 1.8 ..need to zoom lens? 50 mm is good for me but my hand r always shaking..
    18-55 is already a zoom...

if you photos are always blurred due to hand shake, try increasing your shutter speed or use a flash if not enough light. I read this somewhere: "before upgrading your lens, try getting a flash first"

faster shutter speed..pump ISO..get something to support..eg monopod/tripod
    or maybe train and adopt a better shooting technique.

I have two recommendations for you, one more practical than the other.

1) 85mm F1.8 USM
    Very good portrait length for cropped bodies. Quite sharp, fast auto-focus and all.
    (There is a very similar but harder to find, slightly more expensive 100mm F2 USM, also very good lens).

2) 135mm F2 L
    This lens is quite phenomenal, but also comes at a price. Around 1k if you buy 2nd hand.
    Its also very long on a cropped body, so you will be pretty much shooting outdoor in controlled situations.
    Expect a working distance of about 4m headshots to 8m half body from your subjects.
    I actually won't entirely recommend this until you have a good feel of whether you really like portraits, or long lenses.

Its better to start with the 85mm F1.8, for the price factor also. Don't jump into something too expensive just because you want to get a lens.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Quote Originally Posted by actor13
    hi all ,
    If u're on a low budget (like me), you can consider the Sigma 50mm F2.8 lens.
    It's a 1:1 macro lens as well. I personally don't like F1.2-1.8 as it can easily go OOF.

That's my personal view.

TS... no need to upgrade lenses... use your 18-55 and 50mm lens. They are good lenses that will give you all that you have asked.

For indoor portrait shoot, you might want to look into getting an external flash and a tripod... and in later stage, you might want to get wireless or remote trigger for your flash.

Do read up on portrait photography (there are literally millions of websites online and/or magazines and books).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

If u have the budget the splurge, 85 1.2 is the way to go. Otherwise, sigma 85 1.4 or ef85 1.8 are good.

18-55 will definitely give u the blurred background if u shoot at the tele end and subject spaced out from background. But a good prime will be a better choice, quality of bokeh is better and also the large aperture lends to faster focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkins View Post
    If u have the budget the splurge, 85 1.2 is the way to go. Otherwise, sigma 85 1.4 or ef85 1.8 are good.

18-55 will definitely give u the blurred background if u shoot at the tele end and subject spaced out from background. But a good prime will be a better choice, quality of bokeh is better and also the large aperture lends to faster focusing.
    No need. He already has a 50mm f/1.8 but he has handshake issues. Nothing can help him unless he learns proper holding techniques.
    Alpha

get the 50 f1.8

if u dunno what u need, then u dun need it
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    get the 50 f1.8

if u dunno what u need, then u dun need it
    he already got a 50 f1.8

ts would suggest you to shoot more 1st b4 buying =)
    Lousy de My Flickr