Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Must work how many years to reach 5k salary for grad?

Quote Originally Posted by digit
    5K is not really a big deal considering the cost of living. If you earn 5K and is the sole income earner, that sum isn't that big. I think to have a fairly decent (not rich) life in S'pore, you'll need at least 10K in combined income.
    $10K per mth...
    then I'm under decent ..

IMO, I believe is how is u spent and arrange your lifestyle, not the money decide ur spent and lifestyle.

you can earn alot of but load of mortage to pay. No live to spent
    On other hand, you can earn lesser but enjoy life.

money not = healthly life
    money not = less problem

Quote Originally Posted by plinius

well said....i fully agree and understand what you mean via the hard way!Now, me all alone in States and my precious (see my avatar) back at home in S'pore.....

OT a lil here..recommend a good read for all "Tuesday with Morrie".........

Cheers!!!!

i second Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

for grads, if you "sign" on as a senior tutor, I believe you'll get $6k+ when you get your PHD. that's the rate when I graduated, not too sure how much more (or less) it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    U need to sell 1000 packs of chicken rice a day to earn that amt dude. Right now u'll have a deficit of 27k per mth
    Oops too fast with the zeros. I stand corrected. I do believe it's still achievable cos' I know someone who had made it before.

still need to correct this: 1mth=$2000*30=$30K

btw, you have to consider CPF too. It's still an important component of our wages. Also, salaried workers generally get some benefits (e.g. medical, dental), bonuses and some companies give stock/options which might be quite substantial over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    for grads, if you "sign" on as a senior tutor, I believe you'll get $6k+ when you get your PHD. that's the rate when I graduated, not too sure how much more (or less) it is now.
    You serious!? These guys are overpaid! I believe PhD without relevant work experience does not deserve that much. Granted, it may be partial sour-grapes for me, but $6k+ just for publishing journals, teaching from the textbook and fiddling with lab equipment?

The other side of the argument of course is "if we don't pay these grads enuf, they'll go out on their own and earn more". I disagree with this line of thought. Not many smarties make it out there... some do, most don't. So even paying them $4k just for starters is already VERY good money!

*WARNING* -> Shamelss self-advertisment: Any teaching positions out there??? Me got degree, major in Robotics and AI.

believe, they can get much more in overseas U's..... anyway, the additional years (4-6?) of study and research should be considered relevant experience If I had chosen this path, the $6k salary also partly compensates for the opportunity costs.

you could always sign up if you're interested. the local U's do advertise from time to time.
    Last edited by mpenza; 13th November 2004 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    believe, they can get much more in overseas U's..... anyway, the additional years (4-6?) of study and research should be considered relevant experience If I had chosen this path, the $6k salary also partly compensates for the opportunity costs.

you could always sign up if you're interested. the local U's do advertise from time to time.
    That's not a really fair comparison I could get a higher salary too if I'm working overseas. Here, an engineering job (ah there you go... now everybody knows I'm a poor underpaid and overworked engineer) can get you though daily life... teaching gives 6k, can breeze through life.

Overseas, either job has a pretty fair footing--engineers are paid higher, lecturers are not paid that high. In Down Under at least, lecturers get extra income by working outside as consultants. Teaching job alone doesn't give them everything. And these are white haired balding PhDs with credits and resumes that make my jaws drop!

I'll check it out... if this is the case here, I'll sign up to teach to hell with engineering, oops... I'll probably end up teaching engineering

My physics teacher asked this rather humourous question yesterday:

'Why be an accountant? (Sorry any accountants here!) You sit on a desk everyday, earn a lot of money to go on your big holiday only to find out you cannot go on your big holiday!'

Then my friend replied:

'Well, you can enjoy life later...'

Teacher:

'Why not enjoy life for your whole life?'

Moral of the story: Money ain't everything...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    My physics teacher asked this rather humourous question yesterday:

'Why be an accountant? (Sorry any accountants here!) You sit on a desk everyday, earn a lot of money to go on your big holiday only to find out you cannot go on your big holiday!'

Then my friend replied:

'Well, you can enjoy life later...'

Teacher:

'Why not enjoy life for your whole life?'

Moral of the story: Money ain't everything...

yeah nick , wat u said is definitely rite .

we should b thankful for wat we haf , coz there r lots of others out there who r suffering .

but to draw that much amount every month , go get ur higher level of qualification n find a good good job . . .

or better still set up ur own business

regards

What kind of education will really get you this kind of income....

From what i know PHD doctors worst one start only 3k....

I once heard a wise man sharing this analogy:

"One day, a retired mega-billionaire was walking alone on the beach when he noticed a beach bum lazing on the beach. He, being a workaholic, was annoyed that someone can be so lazy.

He approached the bum and told him off. He said 'Young man, why are you lazing around, doing nothing but drinking and sleeping here? You should be working hard to get your Degree, Masters and PhD. Then you will have a job with high salary. One day, manage many people and maybe own a company'

The bum replied 'Why?'

The rich guy replied 'So you can retire to a nice beach and rest'

The bum said, 'What do you think I'm doing now?' "

Lesson learned: No, not to be a beach bum! But must work wisely. Ultimately, it's all about being contented, don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by dOME
    What kind of education will really get you this kind of income....

From what i know PHD doctors worst one start only 3k....
    medicine PHD grads or non-academic positions for PHD holders? the pay for doctors during bond are not high and some companies don't increase salaries for post grad degrees.

Check out the following:
    http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/is/nus_life.htm

The basic salary scales on an annual basis are (in Singapore dollars):
    Assistant Professor $72,000 - 144,000
    Associate Professor $108,000 - 204,000
    Professor $168,000 - 276,000

Seems like the min starting pay hasn't changed over all these years.... still min $6k per month for Assistant Professors.

Quit studying, go sell things, save some cash, be your own boss. You might get a greater chance of earning more then 5k.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234