Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Photography

Default Re: Street Photography

Quote Originally Posted by nikoneer View Post
    here we go again
    not my fault bonrya confused everyone about my actual gender

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl852 View Post
    but what i'm worried most is that the inability to deliver in a couple of shots. like generally speaking, are you satisfied with the shots you take?

wa i damn scared Singaporeans may think i'm crazy also.. our society is pretty pretty conservative to begin with
    I'm satisfied with only a portion of the shots I take, I do ask permission at times and they usually agree to it, so far no hostile encounters *touch wood*. Nowadays, photography is very common and Singaporeans are so used to it, so no one will think you are crazy. Don't worry, just shoot, if they approach you and ask you to delete their photos, just do it in front of them. You can even shoot in both RAW and jpeg, when they approach you, just delete the jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    seriously hate it when im carrying a camera (bigger than PNS compact) and everybody just look and stare at me like im a alien. Maybe places like Chinatown..Little india isnt too bad maybe because its a norm already. On the other hand i see many enjoying it..Most hobbyist i guess..they dont even carry a camera bag!
    True, whenever I carry a DSLR out people stare at me as if I ain't mature enough to handle one, which is why I seldom bring it along when I go out, well once I went to Chinatown to do street photography, I was taking picture of a building, when my eyes left the viewfinder there was a guy next to me wondering what I was taking picture of! another time, I brought my DSLR along for lunch, then the drink store lady was like, are you a professional? Only pros use this kind of camera. Haha, couldn't convince her DSLRs are very common these days

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    i'm a female too
    You are? Hmmm, suspicious

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    done it before. you just need to make sure you don't scare the person away.

i usually chat with the people, strike up a conversation before i ask if i could snap a picture of them. sometimes i just wave at them, point at my camera and they pose for me. the latter usually works better on non-locals

but if i don't do street portraiture, i'm just trying to capture candid moments that are nice. or just shots of people at their most unglam moment

and i usually shoot alone
    Well, what I'm afraid of is when I shoot elderly people, they might get angry and kick up a fuss, and if I ask them to pose or for permission, to me it isn't nice anymore :X

I wouldnt actually call The Sartorialist page street photography but just portraits really.

his take on photography varies. some of them seem like portraits, while others are obviously not.

which is a trait i envy about him - he keeps things interesting.
    True freedom may be having somewhere to return to.

Check out HARDCORE (warning) Street Photography in JB

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...ot-around.html

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    dress like a tourist

they won't bother you. i've taken shots at point blank of security guards without them coming after me
    I think this is a good idea! Il buy that weird hat i saw the other day..

Quote Originally Posted by Ding5678

I think this is a good idea! Il buy that weird hat i saw the other day..
    Not everyone can pull that off... Haha. Most people can spot a singaporean a mile away. So glad that i don't look local

Hi, just wondering if you guys have seen this site before : The Sartorialist

i've been playing with the idea of doing street photography in Singapore for some time.

anyone of you guys tried approaching strangers, asking for permission to take pictures of them?

and street photography is challenging in the aspect that you have very little time to perfect the portraiture, so if you guys ever venture into street photography, will you venture straight into it or practice in group shoots beforehand?

ah street photographers like scott and bill cunningham are so inspiring
    happen spot this thread upon a search.

just to highlight the The Sartorialist is not consider a street photography, he is a fashion photographers on the street, shooting street fashion, he don't shoot his subject sneakily, he do approach his subjects and make clear his intention of taking their photographs.

thread move to appropriate section.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

Hi, just wondering if you guys have seen this site before : The Sartorialist

i've been playing with the idea of doing street photography in Singapore for some time.

anyone of you guys tried approaching strangers, asking for permission to take pictures of them?

and street photography is challenging in the aspect that you have very little time to perfect the portraiture, so if you guys ever venture into street photography, will you venture straight into it or practice in group shoots beforehand?

ah street photographers like scott and bill cunningham are so inspiring
    Just dive straight into it....

remember your basics, and practice practice practice, so when you are on the streets and see a scene, it becomes 2nd nature for you to capture it in seconds.

Blog Entries

One more...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Taking pictures on the streets is not street photography.

People posing for your on the street is not street photography.

Street photography is un-orchestrated, un-posed, unaware of any photography going on, catching an candid moment or a unique scene or element that comes to place. It involves mainly people and less on objects and stray cats. It must not be any common snapshots, it must be a photo that tells a story, sends a message, depict a social situation, etc. It need not be big news that affects the world and makes into the news (journalism) but it can simply be daily life's occurences.

Read this:

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs11/f/20...the_purist.pdf
    Actually many of us had this discussion in ASIA.

Street photography is not really defined. Even HCB himself have a lot of posed work, and still people call those stuff "street". Different people have different definitions of something as loosely defined as street photography.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 26th May 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Street photography has been going around for a long time. So long you are in public places, just assume you are free to take pictures. If it is published and the subject objects despite it being a flattering picture then take it down. End of story. That said, in HDB heartlands different rules apply. People there have very low level of awareness where photography is concerned. They assumed you are from a news agency and they are going to appear in Wanbao tonight. You will see their annoyed stare even if they are more than 50 metres away. We have so many people asking if we were reporters. I even have had 2 undercover detectives asking me why I am taking pictures. Just the other day, a self styled neighborhood vigilante asked why I am taking pictures (of my motorcycle). Gave him a piece of my mind, ask him to go ahead and lets call the police. You'll need to call their bluff as some bullies will even snatch your camera. Practice your exit routine, warn them you will scream robbery! if they dare. The law is always on your side.
    If you are a timid person, go to Peoples park and mingle among the camera touting tourists. P&S are best and many are capable of high quality snaps. No one will pay you any attention. Beside that, Thailand, Bali, even Little India have their photography friendly inhabitants where it is safe to shoot.

Are there any legal issues when it comes to shooting someone without permission? I do want to give them a choice whether they wanna be shot or not... Least respect I can provide IMO

Or use long lens.

Here are some tips for better shoots,

Use Clean Skills

Keep Subjects Withing Frame

Shoot Subjects with Resale Value

Shoot Various Arrangements at any given time

Use Different Props for Same Setup

Shoot Various Expressions and ideas at any given time

Avoid Brands

Research before you decide to shoot

Help make your photos look special

Shoot Greatest Resolution

Blog Entries

The most important skill is to smile.
    Your smile can open doors to great shots

Or calm an angry person.

Say thank you and smile, talk to them if they can spend the time

If you behave sneakily then you will be seen as sneaky.

If you behave as if it is normal then it will be seen as normal.

Just remember to smile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12