Thread: Wide angle zoom lens

Default Wide angle zoom lens

Hi guys, im a newbie here and want to ask your advice on what kind of lens is just suitable for street, landscapes, cityscapes, nightscapes,. I dont really need an expensive lens. Im currently using a 18-135mm lens and i find it a bit tight on wide angle. Will 17-85mm or 15-85mm be a better choice? Im not into prime lens coz i need a multipupose lens.

Or is there any third party lens with a focal length of 16-135? Or 15-135? Or similiar lenses?

Default Re: Wide angle zoom lens

do ask yourself if 15mm is suitable/ wide enough for you. If yes, get the 15-85mm but you might start to wonder if you wish to sell off your 18-135mm as 15-85mm will most likely replace your current kit lens.

else if 15mm is not wide enough, bite the bullet and get the EF-S 10-22mm. This way you will have 2 lens, one for wide angle use another for general use.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Ding5678 View Post
    Hi guys, im a newbie here and want to ask your advice on what kind of lens is just suitable for street, landscapes, cityscapes, nightscapes,. I dont really need an expensive lens. Im currently using a 18-135mm lens and i find it a bit tight on wide angle. Will 17-85mm or 15-85mm be a better choice? Im not into prime lens coz i need a multipupose lens.
    Whats your budget?
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

If given a choice, I'll pick 15-85 in your list..But don't expect to see a multi purpose lens covering UWA to "Long" Tele..Even if it exists, not sure how much it will cost.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Ding5678 View Post
    hmm..if 18 is bit tight to you.. i dont see how 17 is not tight to you..its only 1mm... you might want to consider UWA like 11-16...10-20 kind of lenses..hmm i dont think there is any very wide to tele lenses around to fit your multipurpose use.. infact the 18-135 you holding is a multi purpose already..

The 17mm isn't going to be much of a difference from your 18-135. If u get the 15-85, you might feel losing out on the long range part of 135mm

The reason the lens maker don't have a perfect "all-in-one" lens or else they can't make millions of $$$ from us.

In your case, I'll keep the 18-135 and get another tokina 11-16mm

There's really no other choice, unless u rather get the 15-85 and give up the longer telezoom range from 85-135

Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. Im just thinking how much is a 15-85mm lens? I dont think il go for UWA lenses as well coz theyre too short. Maybe 15-85mm is my choice for a walkabout lens.

Yes..i must say FL of 15-85mm would be a nice walkabout lens..(at least for me)

price? Pls call up the shop to get the latest and more accurate prices.

15-85 seems like a good range.
    Hopefully 15mm will be wide enough for TS' requirements.
    Exploring! :)

15-85 will be wide enough, that is if TS don't try the UWAs.

get a nice tripod for your nightscape.