Thread: 600D body + 17-40 lens

Default 600D body + 17-40 lens

Hello everyone!

Ive been thinking about buying a camera for 2yrs +, and i just recently decided to purchase one.

Was recommended 600D + 17-40 lens, the lens being 2nd hand.

Recommendation?

Default Re: 600D body + 17-40 lens

17-55 f2.8

Quite some threads are created on 17-40 on crop body, and under many circumstances, people recommend 17-55 on crop and 17-40 on FF.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

search my posts with regards to these lenses.

You haven't mentioned what you primary usage is like or your level of experience.
    Assuming you're an an absolute beginner and using the camera as a general hobbyist (shooting anything and everything that looks vaguely interesting, family events etc), I'd suggest you consider the humble kit lens (18-55). I believe it only adds 100+ to the body if bought as a kit, and covers the most used focal lengths.
    If you decide to move on to 'higher-end' lenses later, it won't be that much of a loss. You could even keep it as a backup (it saved my bacon on an event shoot this year, when the more expensive lens failed on me) or for use when you want a lightweight setup.

Yeah, i am an absolute beginner at this. Will be bringing the camera on a trip to laos.

Based on what you said, then i should just get the camera + the 18-55 lens. When i am more familiar with the camera and such, then i should purchase a better lens?

Quote Originally Posted by silvercoo View Post
    Yeah, i am an absolute beginner at this. Will be bringing the camera on a trip to laos.

Based on what you said, then i should just get the camera + the 18-55 lens. When i am more familiar with the camera and such, then i should purchase a better lens?
    nope. when you find your style of photography, then you venture into the purchase of your next better lens.

if you are comfortable at where you are, save the money and make more photos.

The 18-55 should suffice for normal photography?

Yes, that's why it's the standard kit lens.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by silvercoo
    It's a nice lens to start out and experiment with, until you know exactly what you need. Might be limited in some areas but for a beginner, it's definitely enough for general use.

Just add a diffuser (or a diy flash bounce) to your camera setup and it will last you quite some time...
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Basically, there are no such thing as normal photography. But for general usage, 18-55 would suffice... it had adequate wideness and range for many type of photography genre... unless you are looking at birding, sports and stuff like that.

My advise is... get the 18-55 and the 55-250mm lens. these combo will cover most of the range. If you want more flexibility, get the 18-135mm or 18-200mm lens.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Get the whole kit 2nd hand....there are users in this forum selling their mint bodies with warranty left (choose one that is not registered yet). Cheaper and also more value for money in my opinion in case you are not shooting frequently. Save the money for other accessories which you can add on as you progress more into photography.

Dear all

I've purchased the 600D with 17-50 Lens. Currently trying out the bokeh effect, with little success so far =D

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    It's a nice lens to start out and experiment with, until you know exactly what you need. Might be limited in some areas but for a beginner, it's definitely enough for general use.
    The man can't say it any better. Start out with the kit lens to have no regrets!

Dear all

I've purchased the 600D with 17-50 Lens. Currently trying out the bokeh effect, with little success so far =D

17-50 lens? 3rd party one?

by 'bokeh effect' (incorrect use of the term, btw), I guess you're trying to blur out the background. This may or may not be possible depending on the situation you've got. Try to understand more about depth of field instead of getting hung up on creating particular 'effects'
    Exploring! :)

Yeah, got the Tamron lens.

Yeap yeap..reading up and experimenting =)