Thread: Want opinions those who own DSLR + film SLR

Jerome
    Guests

Default Want opinions those who own DSLR + film SLR

Hi,

Wud like to get some tips/advice/opinions from those who own both film and digital SLRs.

When you go traveling, do you bring along both bodies? If so, when do u decide to use which one? Sounds a bit silly, but pls treat it more like a survey.

Also, I have only 2x 256MB cards and tend to shoot in RAW format wherby each card can hold approx 75 images. For an 18 day trip holiday, that works out to be fewer than 10 pathetic images per day!!! How do I work ard this? Use jpg compression, buy 1 GB microdrive or get a digital wallet?

And lastly, where or how do you store the bulky battery charger?

Sigh... Much as I like the features of DSLR, now I can truly appreciate the low cost of films!!!

Thanks all!!!

sounds like you answered your own question.

Get an Image Tank.

Default Re: Want opinions those who own DSLR + film SLR

Originally posted by Jerome
    Hi,

Wud like to get some tips/advice/opinions from those who own both film and digital SLRs.

When you go traveling, do you bring along both bodies? If so, when do u decide to use which one? Sounds a bit silly, but pls treat it more like a survey.

Also, I have only 2x 256MB cards and tend to shoot in RAW format wherby each card can hold approx 75 images. For an 18 day trip holiday, that works out to be fewer than 10 pathetic images per day!!! How do I work ard this? Use jpg compression, buy 1 GB microdrive or get a digital wallet?

And lastly, where or how do you store the bulky battery charger?

Sigh... Much as I like the features of DSLR, now I can truly appreciate the low cost of films!!!

Thanks all!!!
    Shoot JPEG-FINE. That will give you a lot more images without sacrificing too much quality. After you come back from a holiday, the last thing you want to do is to go through 1000 RAW files, and individually adjusting, balancing and converting them. And if you do a batch conversion, might as well shoot JPEG in the first place. For 99% of the time, JPEG-FINE will be more than enough, and you can still print BIG.

For long duration travelling, you might want to consider film. At least they are easily available almost everywhere - not so with CF cards. If you still want to shoot digital, get something like an ImageTank, NixVue digital album or Digital Wallet.

Regards
    CK

Depends really, I think the best person to answer your question is yourself. Depends on what you intend to shoot and what you intend to do with the shots. That age old question hasn't changed.

As to storing your pictures for digital, certainly, either bring a large form of storage such as laptop and CD/RW, or a image tank type device.

Jerome
    Guests

Originally posted by erwinx
    sounds like you answered your own question.
    Arghhh. I was afraid I'd get a reply like this. What I need are personal suggestions. I did hear about Image Tank and all that but would like to get opinions like are they reliable etc... experiences from pple who carry both formats when they travel.

Anyway, thanks guys! Ckiang, I might take up your idea of shooting JPEG-FINE...

Jed, I like the idea of instant feedback from digital and changing ISO immediately... not sure if these are good enuff reasons to bring my DSLR over.... cos it's 18-day free-and-easy beautiful Europe (includes my fav London) I'm going to, the least I want to happen is to run out of storage space and the DSLR becomes useless thruout the trip.

Edits and delete the weaker pics from your cf card

Given a 18 day holiday, and approximately 2-3 keepers per day, plenty of space left in your CF cards.

Jed, I like the idea of instant feedback from digital and changing ISO immediately... not sure if these are good enuff reasons to bring my DSLR over.... cos it's 18-day free-and-easy beautiful Europe (includes my fav London) I'm going to, the least I want to happen is to run out of storage space and the DSLR becomes useless thruout the trip.
    Last edited by erwinx; 14th July 2002 at 09:42 AM.

Well there are so many factors to consider. On the one level, you are talking image quality - personally for me, I really honestly do not see the need to shoot 35mm film any longer. As I said, that's personally for me, other people believe otherwise. Your own position to this issue (without meaning to start a debate here) will be one factor you should consider.

Secondly, there is your intended output, and this has dogged the age old transparencies or negatives debate. If you want to project your work to a room full of people, then trannies are the obvious choice. If you want prints, then it's a tossup between negs and digital; that too depends on you and your shooting style, whether you want small albums or several large prints. If you want them mainly/solely for web use, then surely the digital is a no-brainer as well.

Thirdly, storage. My laptop goes with me wherever I go, both for internet access and also because my digital cameras are seldom far away from me. I do not at present have an image tank type device, but prices are proving very attractive just at the moment. However for *me* I've never had the need either because my notebook goes with me.

Fourth, it depends on what I intend to shoot. While I am generally persuaded as to the quality of digital for example there are some things that I simply won't shoot without trannies. Likewise, there are things that I'd really rather not shoot without digital. This will factor in your decision.

If you can stump out for a image tank type device (or a laptop if you haven't got one), then it solves a lot of headache. No need to cater for different film types, different film speeds, worrying about them at immigration and customs, etc. And more significantly, I doubt an image tank type device will be any heavier than a huge load of film, and certainly it will consume less space.

Also, it depends on what the purpose of the trip is. If it is primarily for photography, then why skimp? Bring both. If however you have other things on your mind, then obviously humping both is a stupid idea, pick the best and live with it. I've made stupid decisions before; usually it concerns digital v MF or LF, but that's life.

How long will you be in Blighty? Seeing anything else other than London? Say hi if you are.

Arghhh. I was afraid I'd get a reply like this. What I need are personal suggestions. I did hear about Image Tank and all that but would like to get opinions like are they reliable etc... experiences from pple who carry both formats when they travel.

Anyway, thanks guys! Ckiang, I might take up your idea of shooting JPEG-FINE...

You're welcome. Enjoy your trip. If you can, borrow some CF cards from your friends. Nowadays, 128MB/256MB cards are very common.

Regards
    CK

Hi Jerome, you think film is 100% safe? Think again.
    My friend told me he dropped his film cam due to high wind and the film back break open, the 1 roll of images gone instantly. I bet digital cam will not have this problem, although the camera may be damage when dropped, but at least the images are still safe.

Hi, get yourself 20+ rolls of films and the 10~20BG image tank and u will never be short of anything. Yes, I have been travelled with both SLR/DSLR and the image tank worked reliablely so far. Just don't dropped it and keep it at normal temperature.