Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying 24-105 F4L

It's a good lens to have. Covers a good range and you wont have to change lens constantly. Thinking of getting one myself if I didn't love my primes more.

I think f4 in low light is still alright. super sharp for sure.
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Default Re: Buying 24-105 F4L

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    For canon, I don't recommend 24-70 2.8...as it not as sharp compared to nikon. Go for 24-105 f4. It's a very good lens where many used it for wedding. Since you are going to full frame soon, not point getting 17-55, just get 24-105 and your kit lens for e wide angle will do.
    Even if Nikon lens is sharper than Canon's version, that does not means that Canon's lens is not sharp. Plus was 24-105mm any sharper than Nikon's 24-70mm?

According to this,

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens Review

The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens is a very sharp lens - few zoom lenses reach this level of sharpness. The 24-70 L is sharp in the center at f/2.8 at all focal lengths and performs very well in the corners. Some corner softness is visible at the wide end of the focal length range and more softness is apparent in the 50-70mm corners. As usual, stopping down (selecting a narrower aperture) to f/5.6 makes a big difference in the longer focal length corners.
    The Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L is one of the sharpest lens around and few zoom lenses reach this level of sharpness... anything more and you might need a good prime.

However, since TS had a shaky hand, IS came very useful to him. Thus, 24-150mm f4L IS is a good lens to go about. F4 is definitely not that fast an aperture for some situation, but just bump up your ISO and it will be pretty fine. I am using a 70-200mm f4L IS for my streets most of the time and it is pretty fine. For full frame, it is nothing, even if ISO is being set to 5000 and above.

That is what I do for my crop sensor 7D.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Default Re: Buying 24-105 F4L

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Even if Nikon lens is sharper than Canon's version, that does not means that Canon's lens is not sharp. Plus was 24-105mm any sharper than Nikon's 24-70mm?

According to this,

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens Review

The Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L is one of the sharpest lens around and few zoom lenses reach this level of sharpness... anything more and you might need a good prime.

However, since TS had a shaky hand, IS came very useful to him. Thus, 24-150mm f4L IS is a good lens to go about. F4 is definitely not that fast an aperture for some situation, but just bump up your ISO and it will be pretty fine. I am using a 70-200mm f4L IS for my streets most of the time and it is pretty fine. For full frame, it is nothing, even if ISO is being set to 5000 and above.

That is what I do for my crop sensor 7D.
    The f2.8 is really very tempting. Ive been reading alot of the reviews of these 2 lenses, I think i will go for 24-105 for its focal length, if not i will use my 50 1.4. Thanks bros!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12